Winter Rim Question

jwh

LVC Member
Reaction score
Yes, another rim question...
I've done some searching and couldn't find a definitive answer...

Can I go with 16" rims on a 2001 LS sport that came with 17" rims?

I can get 215/60R16 winter tires and rims for about half the price of 235/50R17 winter tires alone. Plus it would make it easier every winter to just switch tires&rims instead of breaking down/changing the tires.

As far as I can tell it shouldn't be an issue, but you guys know these cars inside and out better than I do.

Thanks,
jwh

If you mean the stock 16's then yeah. If you meant aftermarket 16's then we need to know the offset and the rest of the info on the rim.

A good amount of people have 2 sets of rims on here. One set is their nice rims for spring and summer. The other set is for winter so the salt doesn't mess up their nice rims. PLus like you said, it's easier to just swap a set of rims than to go get your tires changed.

The rims would be just black steelies for the winter tires. I told the tire shop the size I needed and what I have for a car. The shop is very knowledgeable, so I dont think they would steer me wrong. If they went to put them on, and they didn't fit, I wouldn't be buying them.

Stock offset is +60mm correct? I can double check with the shop to make sure the offset will work.

I would like to have stock 16's but they're hard to find around here.

The only issue with the steelies is they MAY not clear the brake caliper. I use stock 17's for winter. I also run 225/55/17's to save on cost. A full set of winterforce tires was around 500.

I run two sets of rims/tires. 17" in summer, 16" in winter. I did find a set of stock 16" LS rims on eBay a while ago. Paid about $200 for them shipped for the four rims. Look on eBay or junk yards and you might find a 16" set of OEM rims for close to what the steel rims will go far. And they will look much better.

Mlara1129 is right. You can find nice sets for cheaper like I did. When I showed up to get them off of a guy from Craigslist, I knew he had no idea what he had. I bought the mint condition 17 inch first gen 5 star chrome wheels for 250 with the tires at about 25% left. These were going to be my winter rims. Now I have two sets of summer rims and I am looking for a set of LS oem rims for the winter.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going with 225/55/17's. They where a lot cheaper than the 235/50/17 and a bit cheaper than the 215/60/16+rims.

Jeffyman, I'm in New Brunswick, Canada, so shipping from the states for a set of rims will be pretty high. Thanks anyway. I'm going to keep my eye on the local ads to see if I can pick up a set of 17s on the cheap

+1 on craigslist. I got 4 gen1 silver 17's for 125. One had a little lip damage but it holds air.

235/50R17 vs 225/55R17

fellas, I just bought a V8, 2005 LS and LOVE IT.
I'm doing the snow tire thing looking for rims and tires.
I'm confused about the 235v. 225 sizing.
the car came with 235/50R17 and look and handle great.
I've found some 225/55R17 replacements which are less $$.
do I lose any significant performance, and will that set of tires even fit?
the sticker on the car only shows 235/50R17 as the right tire size.
help and thanks.
johngalt16

fellas, I just bought a V8, 2005 LS and LOVE IT.
I'm doing the snow tire thing looking for rims and tires.
I'm confused about the 235v. 225 sizing.
the car came with 235/50R17 and look and handle great.
I've found some 225/55R17 replacements which are less $$.
do I lose any significant performance, and will that set of tires even fit?
the sticker on the car only shows 235/50R17 as the right tire size.
help and thanks.
johngalt16

Yes they will fit.

The 225 indicates this tire is 225 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's width. Being slightly narrower is not bad, especially for in the winter when a narrower tire will cut through the snow better.

The 55 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 55% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the profile the larger the sidewall.

FYI I run the exact same size winter tires and have no issues.

thanks

so the 235/50 is 235mm wide and 117.5mm tall. and the 225/55 is 225mm (or 1 cm narrower)wide and 123.75mm tall. so its slightly narrower and slightly taller. maybe for winter snow driving that taller radius and sleighter footprint width is actually preferable. I had a BMW 535i that scared the crap out of me too many times, and i just dont want to deal with it when it snows.

interior trim question

I have a 2005 black on black, V8 sport with a roof, chrome/silver interior. the painted silver/grey plastic facia surrounding the center console is really weak. I've seen the interior trim kits on ebay that look pretty good, for around $150. anyone ever tried one of these and how did it turn out. this grey facia kinda sucks.

Edit: You beat me to it Bulls*itmidt :p

It was a close race :)

Johngalt....

A narrower is definitely more preferable for the winter. Less surface area cutting through the snow makes it easier to move and gain traction. I'd run those tires you found cheaper and then maybe throw a bag of sand in the trunk and you will be fine.

I have a 2005 black on black, V8 sport with a roof, chrome/silver interior. the painted silver/grey plastic facia surrounding the center console is really weak. I've seen the interior trim kits on ebay that look pretty good, for around $150. anyone ever tried one of these and how did it turn out. this grey facia kinda sucks.

In regards to these kits. Search this forum, there is countless threads about them and even pictures of installations. My opinion is that they are junk though. You can see all kinds of seams and corners where they do not fit right and leave the silver showing. To each their own though

In regards to these kits. Search this forum, there is countless threads about them and even pictures of installations. My opinion is that they are junk though. You can see all kinds of seams and corners where they do not fit right and leave the silver showing. To each their own though

They do, and that's why I am considering buying a large sheet of vinyl, and manually trimming it for an exact fit. Though, those who have sat in my car had no idea my woodgrain was fake and glued on.

so the 235/50 is 235mm wide and 117.5mm tall. and the 225/55 is 225mm (or 1 cm narrower)wide and 123.75mm tall. so its slightly narrower and slightly taller. maybe for winter snow driving that taller radius and sleighter footprint width is actually preferable. I had a BMW 535i that scared the crap out of me too many times, and i just dont want to deal with it when it snows.

Correct, that's why 215/55 is a better choice (closer to OEM sizing). Anything within the 3% difference is fine though.

I ran my Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s in 235/45 last winter, which worked flawlessly. I sold those and got myself 215/55 just now though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back