winning noise under accel

JVIP

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So today I went to get onto the highway and laid on the accelerator pretty good. As the car ran to speed there was a winning noise, not sure how to fully explain it but it was load and stopped when i let off, definitely came from the engine compartment....I noticed its been doing this a lot when the car is under heavy acceleration.

Any ideas?

Its the V6 and I made sure to check that there is no Ebay factory intake electric supercharger, No aftermarket supercharger tornado intake insert and no eBay fake supercharger noise maker.....:rolleyes:

As the car ran to speed there was a winning noise................

I've never heard about a WINNING noise. What is the prize?

Could it be a whining/hissing/sucking sound? That would probably be a vacuum leak; but that would cause driveability issues. Check the intake connections and make sure they're tight. Do you have a aftermarket intake?

maybe theres a Charlie Sheen under your hood :p

try do replicate it in neutral. see if you can hear it while under the hood

I must have a "Gator"+Charlie Sheen+"Belt"

Although, my LS doesn't whine, it does sound like a charger is under the hood.

Not sure if that's good, since I'm not aware of any charger other than the one that does batteries in my garage :)

My car used to squeak on start up, got the gator belt, now it ... sounds like a mini, tiny, ever so slight, maybe a ready for retirement super, no less than super :) charger

At least I know where my whine is coming from, and it's not from a bottle :)

I prefer beer

i may have the same problem, hopefully my experinces with it can help you figure yours out i cant make it do it in neutral, only between 44-55, if i get on it hard it wont do it, just barely have your foot on the gas and you can here it, pet the gas with your foot and you can make the sound start and stop, best thing i can compare it to us a tuning fork, its not a belt or vaccume its a '' WHINE/WHISTLE" ive noticed my noise comes from (what i can tell) right under my center consol near the rear vents....making me think its a rear end bearing but the noise your hearing in the "front'' could just be the accoustics of your car lol...if any one can add on to this or elaborate on this it would be greatly appreciated...hopefully give you some places to start looking

i may have the same problem, hopefully my experinces with it can help you figure yours out i cant make it do it in neutral, only between 44-55, if i get on it hard it wont do it, just barely have your foot on the gas and you can here it, pet the gas with your foot and you can make the sound start and stop, best thing i can compare it to us a tuning fork, its not a belt or vaccume its a '' WHINE/WHISTLE" ive noticed my noise comes from (what i can tell) right under my center consol near the rear vents....making me think its a rear end bearing but the noise your hearing in the "front'' could just be the accoustics of your car lol...if any one can add on to this or elaborate on this it would be greatly appreciated...hopefully give you some places to start looking

Well, OK, actually, yours and the OPs may be something else - intake whine.

It's very apparent on mine with the LSK tube and cone filter. The long Gen1 intake is a good place for sounds to resonate. Certain RPMs and throttle openings just have a whine. If you've modded your intake, then that's something to check. I use a piece of hose as a listening tube and just move that around to see where the noise is coming from. Put it next to the cone and it's obvious.

If you have the stock intake, that's probably still it, just the sound deadening bits of the intake (all those chambers hanging off the side) aren't able to mute everything. That would still be somewhat strange with the stock tube, though.

My 02 was making a whinning noise under acceleration and a very loud whinning noise under WOT for quite awhile and I suspected it was coming from the alternator. When I converted my cooling fan to electric I removed the alternator to gain access to the cooling fan pump and I noticed the alternator was covered in grime from the cooling fan pump leaking over the years. I figured it would be a matter of time untill the alternator went out. 2 weeks ago the alternator did go out and when it did, the whinning noise was alot louder. I have not got around to changing it yet because I am reserching HO alternators and upgrading the power wire.

JVIP, I know yours is a V6 but the symtoms sound similar.

Members online

Back