Windshield wiper motor

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for the wiper motor to freeze up? I am right now in 15 degree weather and I went to use my wipers this morning in the snow and all I got was a humming sound. I can get the wipers to move one time if I move them by hand. They make one full rotation and then you hear a humming sound on the motor. Does it sound like the Motor is most likely bad ? And how hard is the wiper motor to change a 2001 Lincoln LS v8? I am out of town visiting my friend who is dying with cancer so I have a limited amount of tools with me. I am out of town right now visiting a sick friend that has cancer so I have a very limited amount of tools with me but I gotta figure out something as not having wipers right now is not good at all.

Last edited:
Humming sound is a good sign, are you getting at least 12v to the wiper motor? I guess you looked at all the joints to make sure it's not binding. Maybe if you had snow, something slipped, stripped as the arms tried to push through the resistance (snow). Do these cars have rain sensors? IS the wiper control module inside the car? The Ls is new to me so that's why I'm asking. Can always take it to a shop if you just gottta fix it.

Humming sound is a good sign, are you getting at least 12v to the wiper motor? I guess you looked at all the joints to make sure it's not binding. Maybe if you had snow, something slipped, stripped as the arms tried to push through the resistance (snow). Do these cars have rain sensors? IS the wiper control module inside the car? The Ls is new to me so that's why I'm asking. Can always take it to a shop if you just gottta fix it.
Yeah Humming I am sure is a good sign and right now I don't have access to a volt meter. I am thinking the motor is just weak, I mean it is almost a 20 year old car and chances are this car has never seen anything this cold. I looked at the assembly that controls the arms and I don't see that anything looks broken to me. I ordered a replacement motor for the wipers from amazon so hopefully it's just a failing motor.

Update:
I ordered and replaced the wiper motor and it all is working again so I guess the cold weather took out the old motor.

Members online

No members online now.
Back