Windshield washer not fixable?

Kerrigan

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Tried all I can think of to find out why the windshield washer died at the same instant the washer button broke and popped out. New button installed, wipers wipe but no washer!!

Do I really need to tear the front of the '97 Mark off to get at and check/replace the washer motor? Are there really three different kinds of pump for this same year/model??

Any ideas most welcome.

Just a few thoughts, check the fuse, next listen closely for the motor when you hit the switch, if you hear nothing then maybe the switch is bad, remove the switch and jump the wires to run the motor, or find the wires going to the motor and check to see if power if being applied when the switch is pressed.

Just a few thoughts, check the fuse, next listen closely for the motor when you hit the switch, if you hear nothing then maybe the switch is bad, remove the switch and jump the wires to run the motor, or find the wires going to the motor and check to see if power if being applied when the switch is pressed.
"Checking the switch" requires tearing out the steering wheel assembly, correct?
Fuse is good, checked that. Wipers wipe, just no washer spray. Don't hear the motor when pressing the switch. Does the car motor have to be running for it to work? Really puzzled and don't want to start tearing the car apart without knowing the cause of the problem. Any clean way to do this?

No car motor does not need to be running. You may need to separate the plastic fender shield under the right front wheel to access the connector to the pump motor, then you can check to see if there is power when the button is pressed with a volt meter. as long as you press the button you should see 12v on the meter. my car is an 01V6 and never had this issue, but i live in the south, the bottle could be junked up too, as others have reported. No easy or clean way on this car. good luck.

No car motor does not need to be running. You may need to separate the plastic fender shield under the right front wheel to access the connector to the pump motor, then you can check to see if there is power when the button is pressed with a volt meter. as long as you press the button you should see 12v on the meter. my car is an 01V6 and never had this issue, but i live in the south, the bottle could be junked up too, as others have reported. No easy or clean way on this car. good luck.

He is talking about a Mark, not an LS. I have no idea how similar or not the Marks might be.

Mechanic said "well, bring it in and we'll see what we can find ..." Not gonna go that route. Last time a "should be a 30 minute job max" turned into a expensive 4 hour task. No fixed cost, or at least a reasonable estimate, no go ... I'll see if I can get the at-plug voltage measured then go from there I guess. Concerned that if I tear the steering wheel housing off to check the physical switch I'll never get it back together again. Just chicken I guess. Too many electronics on these things and I'm not up on that stuff.

Members online

No members online now.
Back