windshield replacement

Black03

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
so i took a rock on the freeway and cracked the windshield. called my ins company and they said who i should go through.

i got on their site and they have 2 options on the glass: green tint or green tint/blue shade. i would guess with blue shade but i dont know. anybody?

well, I'd go with whatever OEM is.

Also, be careful that they're giving you original Motorcraft (Carlite) glass (http://www.carlite.com/). You should definitely ask about this and refuse anything less than OEM. When I had my Infiniti, I had a chip that my ins. company paid to get fixed. The company that replaced the windshield put in some cheap Czechoslovakian glass (no joke!). It was awful, and promptly broke in a couple months. After than I insisted on OEM glass.

i was gonna make sure it was oem, i just didnt know if both those options were oem or not. and i dont know what the standard is. but you're right, i dont want some cheap glass on it.

You did not say if the car has the rain sensing wipers? If it does be sure the proper sensor is in place on the new windshield. People have lost their rain sensing wipers with an after market windshield.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I want to re-emphasize again how important it is to get OEM glass and not the aftermarket stuff. In addition to rain sensors (if your car has them), all LSes have heated wiper parks (e.g., there is a little heating element where the wiper sits to melt snow, etc.). I don't have any personal experience with how aftermarket glass manufacturers handle these features, but why take a chance?

Unless you specifically ask for OEM glass, you will get cheaper aftermarket glass, especially when you consider the aftermarket glass is usually about 25-50% of the cost of the OEM glass. However, you get what you pay for. A friend's LS was at the dealer to replace the inside rear-view mirror under warranty and they ended up breaking the windshield during the replacement (duh!). The dealership, wanting to do a fix as cheaply as possible (since they were paying for it) put in this crappy Pilkington windshield instead of a Carlite, and you can absolutely see a difference. The Pilkington windshield has noticeable ripples in the glass that are very annoying, and the heated wiper park elements do not work.

Do not use Pilkington glass.
Do not use PPG glass.
Do not use Safelite glass.
Do not use ANY aftermarket glass.

Insist on Carlite glass or go elsewhere.

I need to replace mine. Went to see what kind it was, its a pilkington with a lincoln tag at the bottom of it. Is that what they sell on the cars from the factory or did the person before my have it replaced

Wish I had known all that a couple weeks ago. Had to replace mine 2 weeks ago. I know it has the rain sensors and the heated wipers area. Hasn't been driven in the rain since then. Too late now to get picky. Still, it was $600! Thankfully, I've got windshield replacement with my ins. company. Didn't cost me a dime.

I thought it was Pinkerton. Can't remember though... I think that the laminated glass maybe comes from another place than the regular tempered glass.

I need to replace mine. Went to see what kind it was, its a pilkington with a lincoln tag at the bottom of it. Is that what they sell on the cars from the factory or did the person before my have it replaced

Its a replacement, and a piece of junk at that. Original will be Carlite, like the stuff on your side windows.

Members online

No members online now.
Back