Windshield Deep Cleaning

JoshMcMadMac

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My windshield has seen better days. There is some wear that is to be expected, but more scratches than any other car I have ever owned. Also, it looks as if some form of product (soap, armor-all, wax) was sprayed or over-sprayed at some point and allowed to bake down into the glass. No amount of Stoner's is going to fix this problem.

Is there any good method for getting the glass as clear as possible? I know I can buff it with the same products I use on the paint, but am not confident that it will pull out a lot of the issues. A buddy at work has been really impressed by Diamonite:
http://www.diamondite.com/diamondite-glass-cleaning-protection-kit.html
It sounds promising with the "spray clay" to draw stuff out of the glass. They also have an kit for machine application, which I could use with my 7424:
http://www.diamondite.com/diamondite-glasswork-kit.html
Any experience with this, or other ideas?

i used clay bar and removed an insane amount of crap from my windsheild.
was hard work, but very rewarding

Here's my process:

Washthe glass as usual.

Claybar glass.

Apply duragloss 501 (marine polish) via PC 7424 and grey or white LC pad. Let haze, remove. 501 is a chemical cleaner instead of an abrasive polish.

Apply a paint sealant. I use Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, or Duragloss 105

Here's my process:

Washthe glass as usual.

Claybar glass.

Apply duragloss 501 (marine polish) via PC 7424 and grey or white LC pad. Let haze, remove. 501 is a chemical cleaner instead of an abrasive polish.

Apply a paint sealant. I use Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, or Duragloss 105

You have had good success with Duragloss pulling crap out of the glass? I did not know there were grey pads out there, either. I use Klasse sealant.

Although I do like Klasse sealant, I find it more difficult to remove than most other sealants. It is, however, very durable.

If by "crap" you mean mineral deposits and such, then yes. In fact, I've yet to try a Duragloss product that I haven't been extremely impressed with. If you order from their website direct, it's a flat $5 shipping rate. Otherwise, CarQuest carries duragloss right on their shelf. although since most don't know about it, you run the risk of getting old product.

For super stubborn spots, I have a dedicated product - Chemical Guy's Water Spot Remover. Though I've yet to have to use it.

The pads are called either grey or black. I also find dg501 to be especially good at returning the black b pillars back to like new condition. I'm sure you are familiar with how water spotted those can get.

Although I do like Klasse sealant, I find it more difficult to remove than most other sealants.

If by "crap" you mean mineral deposits and such, then yes.

For super stubborn spots, I have a dedicated product - Chemical Guy's Water Spot Remover. Though I've yet to have to use it.

The pads are called either grey or black. I also find dg501 to be especially good at returning the black b pillars back to like new condition. I'm sure you are familiar with how water spotted those can get.

I guess the trick to Klasse (and I do not use the AIO) is a thin application, then letting it set for at least an hour before wiping down with a quick-detailer. It comes off pretty easy for me.

I have some Chemical Guy's products, they have never let me down. I might look into the water spot remover, but will definitely try and find the Duragloss.

I have actually been thinking about painting the pillars either body color or flat black! :eek:

No matter how thin I applied it, it always seemed a bear to remove. I did try with a mist of QD on an mf to aid in removing, and although it did help greatly, I was unsure how it would affect the sealant (since they need to be kept away from moisture until fully cured).

I have let sealants sit on a car overnight before, as it always seems the longer you leave them, the easier they are to remove.

No matter how thin I applied it, it always seemed a bear to remove. I did try with a mist of QD on an mf to aid in removing, and although it did help greatly, I was unsure how it would affect the sealant (since they need to be kept away from moisture until fully cured).

I have let sealants sit on a car overnight before, as it always seems the longer you leave them, the easier they are to remove.

Hand or mechanical application? I use a blue pad on the PC at low speed to move the sealant around a panel. I spread it around until it is pretty much "gone" before leaving it be for an extended period of time. It seems to hold up for many months, and that is with using QD to remove it. :cool:

Actually, It was hand application. I have since started aplying all sealants by machine, as I can get thinner, and more uniform coverage this way. Of course, still have to do some spots by hand.

I first wash it and see where that leaves it. Unfortunately wiper blades and normal driving conditions can create tons of micro-scratches where dirt and road grime collect. I HIGHYLY then using the Glass Science Glass Scrub. It deep cleans the glass removing water marks, sap, etc. It's a must have product for any detailer who wants truly clean glass.

I first wash it and see where that leaves it. Unfortunately wiper blades and normal driving conditions can create tons of micro-scratches where dirt and road grime collect. I HIGHYLY then using the Glass Science Glass Scrub. It deep cleans the glass removing water marks, sap, etc. It's a must have product for any detailer who wants truly clean glass.

Can't believe I forgot to mention that product. I have not used it for some time. No reason why.

I keep forgetting to update this!

The Duragloss was no help. It made the windshield a lot smoother, but did not remove any of the imperfection I am fighting with. I may try the glass scrubber next...it seems like every time I get everything I need ordered from Detailed Image, one more thing pops up. I need to catch them with a free shipping promotion!

FYI: If you only need the one item, OReilly's Auto Parts carries Glass Science.

I happen to have a full, unopened bottle of Glass Science Glass Scrub I'd be interested in trading...

I happen to have a full, unopened bottle of Glass Science Glass Scrub I'd be interested in trading...

Cool, what are you looking for? I am not really one to keep a bunch of different products around...I resist the urge and finish what I have before moving on. :p

Dunno really. Actually I have way too much sh*t. pm me your address.

Staff online

Members online

Back