Windshield cowl plastic screws - what is best to use?

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just replaced the original factory glass in my M8 and thankfully found Carlite (Ford branded) glass. I asked supplier and they said it would be PGW or Guardian, from my research, these two are quality replacements. Still I'm glad they sent original Ford glass.
They broke most of the plastic cowl screws that hold the cowl (plastic cover under wipers) and searching online including ebay, didn't produce any replacements.

I found silver steel trim screws but they are sliver (see below)

Any ideas on where to source plastic black screws? Maybe a door man part?

trim screw.jpg

I found steels black ones, size 10x1 inch and they do not seem big enough. I also found larger black plastic screws that screw into their own base, but they are a very tight fit. Was thinking of removing the white plastic insert that holds screw out to give it more room. I should just go back to the installer, but didn't like them drilling larger holes for the rivets they had for the side molding.

Hi Everyone,

Just replaced the original factory glass in my M8 and thankfully found Carlite (Ford branded) glass. I asked supplier and they said it would be PGW or Guardian, from my research, these two are quality replacements. Still I'm glad they sent original Ford glass.
They broke most of the plastic cowl screws that hold the cowl (plastic cover under wipers) and searching online including ebay, didn't produce any replacements.

I found silver steel trim screws but they are sliver (see below)

Any ideas on where to source plastic black screws? Maybe a door man part?

View attachment 828488130

lol I would say no, and this is the first time it has been asked, so probably not!

When the hood is closed on my 98 M8, you can see them. You probably don't notice yours, because they are black!
Besides I would like to use the proper part, as I keep rides I like. I have 91 LSC SE that was bought at a 1.5 years old and kept ever since. The M8 is a sweet ride and if I'm going to fix anything on either,, I think 10+ years in the future, or better performance that original.

I usually hit up the salvage yards (whenever a MKVIII enters) and pull this type of hardware (among other pieces). If you MUST be original, this is the only way to go.

You MAY (note the word may in caps) be able to use the MN12 'Bird/Cat stuff as well.

Not often I find these cars in yards or even being parted out in the Toronto Canada area. If I'm fortunate enough to find the odd one, plastic screws or alike are usually not able to be reused due to the years in Sun and snow.

Members online

No members online now.
Back