Window Trim Rust

marcopepe

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I searched the forums first and could not find anything on this topic. The window trim on my back windows are rusting. Anyone have or had this issue and what they did to correct this problem. They really look disgusting!

Is there a way to remove this trim and remove the rust?

2000 Lincoln LS 155K

Rust2.jpg

Rust3.jpg

I've never EVER seen that before!!! in the Hundreds of LS's that might be a first

If the rust is only on the surface, I would suggest treating the area with POR 15 or another rust encapsulator. It may be worst underneath, where you cant see.

I had a feeling this would only happen to me. Does that trim come off? I am nervous this would break off if I tried to remove it.

Yeah, I read that thread before. But I wasn't sure if it was the same as the chrome pieces. I guess a little trial and error is going to happen. Hope it doesn't get too interesting.

Yeah, I read that thread before. But I wasn't sure if it was the same as the chrome pieces. I guess a little trial and error is going to happen. Hope it doesn't get too interesting.

I'm sure someone has removed that piece before on here... hopefully soon they will comment. BUT if its not too bad I would expect you to have to POR15, sand, prime, repaint or plastidip.

I do hope someone chimes in if they have removed this piece before. I also hope that no one has this problem, because these look gross. Thanks JJCOOL for the tips on how to clean these up.

door2.jpg

door3.jpg

door4.jpg
door5.jpg

door6.jpg

Step 1 - already completed above.

door7.jpg

~ hope this helps, I just copied it from the GEN I LS Workshop Manual.

door2.jpg

door3.jpg

door4.jpg

door5.jpg

door6.jpg

door7.jpg

To all:

Be sure to keep an eye on Drain holes (must be kept open) on all doors. #2 & 4

Failure to keep Drain holes clear will result in buildup of water or excessive condensation
on the bottom of the inside of the doors and will cause premature rusting of metal.

door1.jpg

It wouldn't hurt to have the inside bottom of the doors treated with Anti-Corrosion Compound every couple of years.

Condition
- Door drain holes collecting water

Possible Sources
- Holes clogged with mud or road tar

Action
- CLEAN drain holes of dirt and foreign material with a punch or screwdriver.
- CHECK drain holes regularly. TEST the system for normal operation.

door1.jpg

As it would look like the trim is all part of the Glass Assy,

glass1.jpg

glass2.jpg

you have two options.

1) Bench it, mask it, rework and refinish it. (yours look too far gone though)

2) Source ebay for a fresh set of rear door quarter glass.

sample: 2000-2001-2002 LINCOLN LS REAR DOOR VENT GLASS US $49.99 each.

glass3.jpg

bigrig_approved_thumbup_zps2d443357.gif

glass1.jpg

glass2.jpg

glass3.jpg

WOW! Thank you very much for the info. Yeah, I dont think I am going to be able to fix these. Might try and get new ones. Thanks for the link on ebay.

Try your local area salvage yards first.
If they don't know any better tell them you saw ads on eBay with free shipping for less.

Members online

No members online now.
Back