Window and heater foes

pal_bonds

LVC Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me...
My driver side window does not go up anymore and my heater does not get hot.
I have a 00 LS with 110000 miles. Still drives excellent but littles things are letting me go.

Can someone tell me If I can fix those issues myself. Especially the window.

Palmir

The window issue requires replacement of the window regulator. Common failure.

The heat issue most likely, is the climate control valve unit. I believe it's referred to as the DVCC?

The window is most likely a broken plastic piece that unfortunately requires you to replace the whole regulator assembly (motor included). It is about $200. There is a good write up on the site here with pictures showing a step by step. This was hands down the easiest regulator replacement I've ever done.

The heater is probably a bad DCCV (Dual Climate Control Valve). This is a valve in the cooling system that directs the flow of hot coolant. I don't remember the cost on this, but it is the most frequent culprit. Do a search on DCCV or heater and you should find plenty of info. I've never replaced this myself. A flush and fill *seems* to have cleared up my issues with this. Debris in the coolant can cause this valve to stick and I'm hoping this was my issue.

You can try cranking the temperature all the way up to 90 on the climate controls, then back down to 65, then back up to 90. This *unstuck* mine almost all the time before I did the flush and fill.

thnx for the info...
is the DVCC and do it yourself job or should I let someone rape me...

I'm in San Diego so the heater is only needed for about another months so depending on the price, I might just have to live with it.

Well, I guess as far as being a DIY project, this would depend on your mechanical abilities. I think there is a write up on here for the DCCV replacement as well.

I would undertake it, but I've rebuilt engines and transmissions when I had to. (I'm pretty mechanical and VERY cheap!)

The heater is probably not your dccv. It soundws more like your water pump. I have the dccv problem and everyone else who has this problem never has problems with the heat. Some one else on here had a problem with the heater and it was his waterpump.

When I get no heat my first thought is a plugged heater core. Easiest fix: disconnect the two heater hoses & tie them up so they're well above the core, and then pour some undiluted CLR into one of the hoses. Leave it for a while (up to overnight in extreme cases) and then rinse it out. If there's a deposit buildup in the core, this will clear it out and let more hot water flow through it.

Depressing to hear you only need the heater for another month or so. Mine will be on until some time in June. :eek:

Chuck

You know, come to think of it, mine was blowing HOT air out one side with the A/C on. I think that is a classic DCCV symptom. These guys are probably right about your problem not being the DCCV.

Have you made sure that your coolant is full? You could be low, or have an air bubble in the core....

Wouldnt a failing or failed waterpump result in an overheating engine symptom?

Nope. I tried to find the article from the guy who had the water pump issue, but couldn't. He had no symptoms of a bad water pump though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back