Will window tint affect the auto headlamp sensor?

craigh

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just did a 30% tint on all the windows except the windshield. Been noticing that my headlamps are coming on during the day. Wondering if the tint might be the cause. Has anyone noticed this happening after tinting the windows?

The sensor is facing up on the dashboard. All the light that it sees has to come through the windshield first, so of course added tint is going to make it less sensitive to light.

The sensor is facing up on the dashboard. All the light that it sees has to come through the windshield first, so of course added tint is going to make it less sensitive to light.

Joegr Windshield was not tinted. That kind of was the reason for my post. Without the windshield tinted has anyone else noticed a change in the automatic headlight operation.

Try rolling all of your windows down to test if the sides are the cause. If it just started happening after the tint went in, then you should already know the answer.

Try rolling all of your windows down to test if the sides are the cause. If it just started happening after the tint went in, then you should already know the answer.
Milehighmikey I feel kind of stupid after reading your response as I should have thought of that myself. Needless to say, I thank you. So I did test it with the windows down in full sun and the light are staying on. So not a tint related issue and I am seeking a new sensor. I have checked the usual suspects to try to find one and see nothing out there. I would prefer to purchase a new one. Does anyone have a link to find one or does anyone know the name of the part? I have tried headlamp sensor, ambient light sensor, headlight sensor, light sensor. Nothing comes up in my searches. Any ideas out there?

Light sensor
photocell
autolamp sensor
PATS indicator
Alarm indicator
AC sun load sensor
light amplifier

It hasn't been made in a long time, so it will be really hard to find a new one. This is pretty much a pick-n-pull part.

Light sensor
photocell
autolamp sensor
PATS indicator
Alarm indicator
AC sun load sensor
light amplifier

It hasn't been made in a long time, so it will be really hard to find a new one. This is pretty much a pick-n-pull part.
Thanks Joe. I did not know they were discontinued. I will put this on my junkyard pull list from now on.

Members online

Back