will the chrome trim come off?

sho89mtx

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
look at my sig pic and notice the chrome trim piece around my car and ground effects, i hate it and like the look of it without it, does it come off and if so, does it leave a big mark if you do?

thanks,
scott

look ma no chrome, HA HA! just paint it man easy thing to do , just remember its all in the prep

porkys 022 (Small).jpg

more car pics 031 (Small).jpg

67Continental said:
it won't crack. it's being done by an excellent body shop. i am not doing it myself....

You can save yourself the aggrivation by buying LSC side mouldings (which I eventually did)and bumper covers. I guarantee that the filler wil crack over time no matter who does it. Your mixing 2 completely different elements that expand and contract at different rates. Plus if you fill the bumper covers they are rubber and do flex significantly and will crack.

I had my car done by one of the best in the country and 5 years later my hood cracks every year where the two different elements meet.

b4nafter.jpg

b4&after2a.jpg

ONEBADMK8 said:
You can save yourself the aggrivation by buying LSC side mouldings (which I eventually did)and bumper covers. I guarantee that the filler wil crack over time no matter who does it. Your mixing 2 completely different elements that expand and contract at different rates. Plus if you fill the bumper covers they are rubber and do flex significantly and will crack.

I had my car done by one of the best in the country and 5 years later my hood cracks every year where the two different elements meet.

b4nafter.jpg

b4&after2a.jpg
lsc side modlings, where can i find those and about how much are they?

thanks,
scott

Markviiiedrea said:
look ma no chrome, HA HA! just paint it man easy thing to do , just remember its all in the prep
paint them, I bet that would cost a lot of money with all the chrome I got on my car, wouldn't it?

i would just paint it but some punk clipped the rear of my car while it was parked, and didn't do any other damage than snap off a piece of the rear chrome strip. since all of my chrome is in poor shape, i was just going to fill it all in instead of buying a new chrome piece for the rear and then painting it all. I would love to be able to buy a piece of trim for the rear bumper but I don't want to pay a large price for a piece I am just going to paint over, and everyone seems to want 50 dollars for the piece in poor condition.

as for the cracking, I will take my chances. While I am not doing this work myself, i have done a fair amount of filling and whatnot over the years, and I don't find the risks of cracking to be as great as you have encountered. Perhaps your hood flex is particularly bad.

My hood is 71 lbs after all the glass work. Its so ridgid and stiff. No one can believe it until they lift it themselves.

ONEBADMK8 said:
Call me up. I can get you oem stuff now.
how much and is it already color coded to match or do i have to get it painted? Are we talking $5 or $100, give me some kinda idea before I call because it's not worth it if it's too much

I can't believe no one reproduces the LSC bumpers and moldings for gen 1's. There's some serious money there. I know people always talk :q:q:q:q about how they are gonna buy stuff, but I also know a lot of people don't like their chrome.

I checked with a Lincoln Dealership here and that molding was like $254 for one side of the car.

They are $300.00 for ALL 4 OEM from us.
You have to get them painted though. Its still far cheaper then getting the chrome ones filled and painted, then you run th risk of the cracking and all. Its much more worth it just to get the LSC mouldings and have them painted.

Most places will paint these for $100.00.

Markviiiedrea said:

wow, that looks awesome....i bought an 86 Monte Carlo LS, that i was planing on cloning into an SS...the problem is, the chrome trim. Im assuming its the same with the mark. If you take the trim off, you have to remove the windows and then get the regular LSC trim, and put that on and put some sealant on it, and put the windows back in. I could very well be wrong with the mark. All i know is, it would be a pain to do with the MC, and i wouldnt want to try with the mark even though i think it looks awesome.

That's what I thought. Speaking of chrome, did you paint the chrome around your windows or did you use an overlay of some sort?

Just masked off the windows and chrome.

Its a bad paint job on mine though, its going back to the paint booth on Monday, to have them redo it cuz its chipping off and it was not evenly sprayed and spots weren't painted and there is defects, so I talked them in to redoing it for free, other wise I wouldn't go back to them. I think the problem is it was too humid or the wrong kind of paint was used. If you look at the car domain site you will see how all the paint is chipping from my bumper and chrome lip.

ONEBADMK8 said:
They are $300.00 for ALL 4 OEM from us.
You have to get them painted though. Its still far cheaper then getting the chrome ones filled and painted, then you run th risk of the cracking and all. Its much more worth it just to get the LSC mouldings and have them painted.

Most places will paint these for $100.00.

that's a really good price, probably more worth it than filling. What is it like to shop those rear bumper covers tho?

Members online

No members online now.
Back