Will not start!!!!

Csutter35

LVC Member
Reaction score
Let just say I’m done, 8 months now I have rebuilt the car and now this. In short and I mean in short I throw a rod and got new motor and fixed everything, only thing I haven’t replaced is alternator because it doing fine when it killed itself. So like the title says it will not start, yes brand new battery one day old, yes brand new reman starter one day old. Put key in and turn, the crank barely turns, (not even a full revolution) where old starter didn’t even do that. I turn key and get a solid click. I am having serious drop in volts, like 12 to 7 on batteries and used different ones and with jumper cables on. Anyone know if computer is stopping the starter or anything, could it be ground issue. I’m clueless at this point, I know the motor is not locked up, but why isn’t it just rotating with the starter! Let me know your ideas and thoughts thanks!

Well, it's not the PCM. While your alternator may or may not be bad, it's unlikely to be the actual problem at the moment, assuming that you have had the battery load tested and then fully charged it.
The absolute lowest voltage that the PCM can tolerate is 7.5V, but it really needs to be above 9V while starting. Lower, and the PCM will reset during the attempt.

It really has to be one of four things.
1. The battery can't supply the required starting current - Battery is bad or battery is discharged.
2. There is high (in this case a few ohms is high) resistance between the battery and the starter.
3. The starter is defective.
4. The crankshaft is requiring too much torque to turn it - Internal engine problem.

If the voltage at the battery is dropping below 9V while trying to start it, then it is either (1), (3), or (4). Have the battery load tested. If that passes, then the next steps would be to use a breaker bar and socket to turn the crankshaft by hand (see if it take excessive force to do it), and to use a clamp on ammeter to measure current to the starter when trying to start it.

You should definitely check your battery and see if your battery needs replacement! what sounds does the car make when you turn the key?

Thank you guys very much for the reply’s, the sound I’m making just single click and I can tell the flywheel is moving but not a large amount that look at the marking I place on the flywheel through the transmission whole. Joegr I will try to accomplish the list your talking about early in the morning. My worry is that I put the new timing on and it’s on to too tight but I don’t think that possible and I have turn the motor since with wrench!

If it's just making a single click & you hear no crank there is a pretty good chance it may be the starter. Had my starter go out last month.

Remember starter is new and is working! I’m going right now to load test battery and only 2 days old!
If it's just making a single click & you hear no crank there is a pretty good chance it may be the starter. Had my starter go out last month.

So.....update! Battery was tested and still good, I also had bad ground location on the rear of engine, it wasn’t placed on the bolt by the sway bar. I also have new engine code 0149. Fuel timing code. I hope to god it nothing to do with timing for my Chains and tensioners that I replaced. I also blew the new starter it no longer clicks or anything so tomorrow it comes out and we get to see what happens!(yes I checked fuses and relays, I did a old school mechanical check with jumping and no go). Has anyone had timing chains or anything that lead to fuel issues or is the fuel pump system starting to act up. Probably since it been sitting for 8 months it’s bad?(yes it had fuel stable put in it, the gas is still rich you can smell it at the leak a mile away) I also need to know the hose connections for the fuel evap stystem on the gen1. I think I may have those backwards. Also have small fuel leak but that should be fix via clamps! I’ll keep you guys posted!

Members online

No members online now.
Back