will not start some times for no reason

donald callo

New LVC Member
Reaction score
drove home the other day car ran fine no problems at all. later went to leave would turn over no start .checked fuel rail for pressure seem fine this morning started like always. done this before always same thing any answers please.

need more info when it didn't start and more info on the car, but next time listen for the fuel pump under the back seat when cycling the key...

More info needed

if its a gen I, then your fuel pump may be going out.

ok so im having similar issue - I will pay attention to the fuel pump suggestion

it seems to happen most if Ive driven a while, stop, then go back to start car again - it will ONLY turn over - stop, turn ignotion again and it ALWAYS starts on second attempt - at least for now

any other suggestions much appreciated

ok so im having similar issue - I will pay attention to the fuel pump suggestion

it seems to happen most if Ive driven a while, stop, then go back to start car again - it will ONLY turn over - stop, turn ignotion again and it ALWAYS starts on second attempt - at least for now

any other suggestions much appreciated

So, what's your PATS light doing when it won't start?

good question - didnt know or think to check security - i dont have a fob key still something i should check?

good question - didnt know or think to check security - i dont have a fob key still something i should check?

Yes. Your key has an electronic RF ID chip inside. If it didn't it wouldn't work at all. The remote for the doors is completely separate.

got ya - sorry guys if this is a well known issue or something, my key is sorta beat looking - next time it happens what am I looking for with the PATs system? if that flashes am I looking at buying a new key to resolve?

got ya - sorry guys if this is a well known issue or something, my key is sorta beat looking - next time it happens what am I looking for with the PATs system? if that flashes am I looking at buying a new key to resolve?

If it flashes rapidly while trying to start, then just leave the key on. After a little while, it will slow down and flash out a two digit code a few times. Post that code here for more help.

Do you have more than one key? If not, it's going to cost you to get more. Everyone should always have at least three keys. That way if one breaks or you lose it, you can still add another key yourself. If you have less than two working keys, you have to go to a dealer or a locksmith, unless you have a really good scan tool.

nope - all i have is one key - all that came when i bought it

ill make sure to look for it flashing - thanks

ill also pay attention to listening for fuel pump under back seat

Think we might see a re~calibrating reset drive cycle procedure ?

littlerig: not sure why you are still trying to start sh it with me. everytime you do you gotta go cry to john because i make too many jokes about you..?

you should give him some of your classic advice: "just replace every expensive part in the system, that will fix it". uh huh.

Had same issue with family members 2000 LS

Problem: The fuel pump Fuse in the Fuse box in the trunk; the prongs that the fuse slides into had corroded and broken into pieces, hence sometimes it would start (if they were touching) and wouldn't start if they weren't touching.

Solution: Removed the wire from the fuse Box. Stripped wire, added speaker wire terminals to the end, slid fuse into the terminals, and electrical taped it. Car started no problem.

Had same issue with family members 2000 LS

Problem: The fuel pump Fuse in the Fuse box in the trunk; the prongs that the fuse slides into had corroded and broken into pieces, hence sometimes it would start (if they were touching) and wouldn't start if they weren't touching.

Solution: Removed the wire from the fuse Box. Stripped wire, added speaker wire terminals to the end, slid fuse into the terminals, and electrical taped it. Car started no problem.

My 2001 wouldn't start if I left the key in the ignition for too long. My wife would get to yapping with her friends and finally tun the key and it wouldn't start. We had to take the key out for a few seconds and try again then it fired right up. I thought it was a security feature for when you left the key in so noone could just jump in and drive off.

2006 Lincoln LS in Cashmere Tri-Coat Metallic.

Members online

No members online now.
Back