Will my stock 6 disc changer work with an aftermarket head unit?

P Rock

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an Alpine head unit that came out of my Acura NSX and I'm looking to install it in my LS but I was wondering if there's any way of making the stock 6 disc changer work with it. Any input appreciated.

Well, if the changer in the LS is an in-dash unit then it's not going to be possible. I would doubt it would work because most companies build their chnagers to only work with their head units using some kind of proprietory protocol. The only options would be to buy an Alpine changer that works with your head unit (your head unit manual will guide you where to go) or to get one of the universal FM transmitter changers ($150). I had a universal kit in my Land Rover and it worked very well, with the exception of the diminished sound quality. I doubt you'd pay more then $200 for a compatable Alpine changer and that will give you MUCH better sound quality than a universal kit.

As for using the stock changer, highly doubt it, but you may get lucky. My suggestion would be to go around to some audio shops in the area (Go to a few, because some will say that it won't work just to sell you a changer).

I forgot to mention my stock changer is the one in the glove box. Don't know if that changes anything though....

It's doubtful. If you have the separate changer, you have (almost certainly) a Visteon unit--even if you have the Alpine stereo system that was available in the LS, you don't have an Alpine system. (I'm not sure what the deal was with using the Alpine name, but it wasn't Alpine hardware.)

You might check Visteon's Web site and see if they have an FM modulator and control for the changer, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Personally, given what you have, I'd install the Alpine unit you have from the NSX and buy a matching Alpine changer.

SoonerLS said:
It's doubtful. If you have the separate changer, you have (almost certainly) a Visteon unit--even if you have the Alpine stereo system that was available in the LS, you don't have an Alpine system. (I'm not sure what the deal was with using the Alpine name, but it wasn't Alpine hardware.)

You might check Visteon's Web site and see if they have an FM modulator and control for the changer, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Personally, given what you have, I'd install the Alpine unit you have from the NSX and buy a matching Alpine changer.

Agreed

If your aftermarket head unit supports a separate changer, you could very well make it work. But you may have to figure all the wiring out. I've seen many mix and match combinations before...so having to have the same brand is definitely not true in all cases.

Members online

No members online now.
Back