Will Dobbs retract his stimulus bill falsehood?

Mick Jagger

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score

Lou Dobbs falsely claimed that the economic recovery bill, which the House recently passed, "would allow people who don't have Social Security numbers to be eligible" for the bill's Making Work Pay tax credits and would therefore make undocumented immigrants "eligible for checks." In fact, illegal immigrants without Social Security numbers are not eligible for tax credits under the stimulus bill.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200901300010?f=h_top

Lou Dobbs falsely claimed that the economic recovery bill, which the House recently passed, "would allow people who don't have Social Security numbers to be eligible" for the bill's Making Work Pay tax credits and would therefore make undocumented immigrants "eligible for checks." In fact, illegal immigrants without Social Security numbers are not eligible for tax credits under the stimulus bill.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200901300010?f=h_top

He probably will mention it...
While I'm not a fan of Lou Dobbs, in fairness to him, he made his statement based on an Associated Press article that was later corrected. You can't blame him for not knowing that they'd corrected the piece sometime between when he printed it and broadcast.

The bill still is an economic and political nightmare that needs to be defeated, regardless of a single point that Dobbs may have gotten wrong.

He probably will mention it...
While I'm not a fan of Lou Dobbs, in fairness to him, he made his statement based on an Associated Press article that was later corrected. You can't blame him for not knowing that they'd corrected the piece sometime between when he printed it and broadcast.
I blame him for not caring enough about the truth to perform a quick and simple search of the bill to see if illegal immigrants without Social Security numbers were actually eligible for tax credits under the stimulus bill.

The bill still is an economic and political nightmare that needs to be defeated.
What is so nightmarish about funding much needed repairs, renovations and upgrades to the nation's railroad assets and infrastructure? Do you know how important railroads are to our economic welfare and national defense?

AP
Federal stimulus package would help railroads
Friday January 23, 8:10 am ET
UP CEO says federal stimulus package should help freight railroads no matter what's included

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- The uncertain economy is hurting the nation's major freight railroads because shipping demand has fallen. But Union Pacific Chief Executive Jim Young said Thursday the railroads should be helped by a stimulus package if Congress approves one.

And the railroads will benefit regardless of whether most of the stimulus money goes to consumers or whether it goes to major infrastructure projects because either will contribute to higher shipping demand.

But it's difficult to make plans based on a stimulus package because it's hard to predict when one might get approved and how quickly it might affect the economy.

Union Pacific Corp.: http://www.up.com

I can blame him for not actually reading the bill.
Well, then we both agree that the AP isn't a reliable news source.
Have you seen how long the bill is? It's not particularly light reading, nor is everything particularly clear.

But, most congressmen don't read the bills, you're expecting a commentator to read the nearly 800 pages before even commenting on it. Furthermore, do you think they'll necessarily understand it all? It doesn't read like a novel.

Have you actually read it, dude? What is nightmarish about funding much needed repairs, renovations and upgrades to the nation's railroad assets and infrastructure?
Have you even read a summary of it?

Are you going to argue that the House bill was proposing $819,000,000,000 in upgrades to the nation's railroads and infrastructure?

Well, then we both agree that the AP isn't a reliable news source.
It appears that neither AP or Dobbs have their stuff together.

Have you seen how long the bill is?
yes

It's not particularly light reading, nor is everything particularly clear.
If you don't understand it, you have no business judging it.

But, most congressmen don't read the bills, you're expecting a commentator to read the nearly 800 pages before even commenting on it.
Dpbbs didn't have to read 800 pages. He just needed to read about two pages to see that the AP was wrong.

Have you even read a summary of it?
Yes.

Are you going to argue that the House bill was proposing $819,000,000,000 in upgrades to the nation's railroads and infrastructure?
Read the bill if you want to know how much money goes to railroad infrastructure.

PS: All the bill does is fund a program passed in 2008 to bring the railroad system up to snuff.

If we can afford to squander a trillion dollars to promote Islamic Republicanism in Iraq, we should be able to invest the same amount in the ecomonic well being of our secular republic.

Read the bill if you want to know how much money goes to railroad infrastructure

PS: All the bill does is fund a program passed in 2008 to bring the railroad system up to snuff.
You just implied that the so-called "stimulus" plan invested $819,000,000,000 in infrastructure and rail updates. That "all it does" is bring the railroads "up to snuff." Are you prepared to defend that claim or would you prefer to simply tell the truth?

If we can afford to squander a trillion dollars to promote Islamic Republicanism in Iraq, we should be able to invest the same amount in the ecomonic well being of our secular republic.
You're misleadingly implying that the federal government has been spending more money in Iraq than it does here. Obviously, that's absurd and you certainly won't defend such a claim.

But even if you wish to argue that the investment in Iraq was a waste, why would that justify the wasteful spending of the stimulus bill. Or, worse yet, the misrepresentation of the spending in this wasteful bill as a so-called stimulus.

Fixing Amtrak won't stimulate the economy. It'll just make Amtrak more efficiently capable of losing tax payer dollars.

You just implied that the so-called "stimulus" plan invested $819,000,000,000 in infrastructure and rail updates. That "all it does" is bring the railroads "up to snuff." Are you prepared to defend that claim or would you prefer to simply tell the truth?

The amount of funds dedicated to the FEDERAL RAILROAD ADMINISTRATION for CAPITAL ASSISTANCE FOR INTERCITY PASSENGER RAIL SERVICE can be found on page 218 of the Bill.

The amount provided for CAPITAL AND DEBT SERVICE GRANTS TO THE NATIONAL RAILROAD PASSENGER CORPORATION can be found on Page 219 of the Bill.

Here's a link to the full text of the Bill. http://appropriations.house.gov/pdf/RecoveryBill01-15-09.pdf

But even if you wish to argue that the investment in Iraq was a waste, why would that justify the wasteful spending of the stimulus bill. Or, worse yet, the misrepresentation of the spending in this wasteful bill as a so-called stimulus.
What is so wasteful about providing Capital Assistance for Intercity Passenger Rail Service to enable the Secretary
of Transportation to make grants for capital costs as authorized by chapter 244 of title 49 United States Code?

Fixing Amtrak won't stimulate the economy. It'll just make Amtrak more efficiently capable of losing tax payer dollars.

Who do you think is going to get paid for repairing, rehabilitating, upgrading, or purchasing railroad assets or infrastructure? http://www.trac.cc/repair.htm

2009 full of repairs to roads, railroads http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20081226/NEWS10/812260343/1001/

PS: Almost all of the funds in the Bill allocated to Railroads go to projects that can be awarded within 180 days of enactment of the Act.

You started out talking about how Lou Dobbs made the mistake of relying on the AP to be a reliable news source and now you're slithering in all kinds of directions.

For starters, infrastructure improvements do not make up the majority of the spending in the so-called "stimulus bill" passed by the Democrats in the House of Representative.

$30 billion: Transportation projects
$31 billion: Construction and repair of federal buildings and other public infrastructure
$19 billion: Water projects
$10 billion: Rail and mass transit projects

That's $90,000,000,000 of the over $819,000,000,000 dollars is committed for infrastructure. That's about 9.1% of the entire package.

Now the bill says $300,000,000 available to intercity rail, and it says the money can be AWARDED within 180 days. Awarded, not spent. THIS IS NOT A STIMULUS.

If you would like to have a discussion about the value of Amtrak and whether tax payers should be forced to continue financing that losing entity, very well. But I take offense when people hide it in bill that is supposed to be a quick, stimulus to the economy. It's not, it's a spending project that should be supported and defended on it's own merit.

And whether you support our foreign policy or not, it doesn't have any bearing in a discussion regarding the stimulus plan either. And while I am aware that your $3T figure mentioned is bogus, and I also know your source for the inflated claim, it has NOTHING to do with the subject here. Even if you think that money was a waste, that doesn't justify a wasteful and misrepresented trillion dollar stimulus that does virtually nothing to stimulate.

For starters, infrastructure improvements do not make up the majority of the spending in the so-called "stimulus bill" passed by the Democrats in the House of Representative.
What is the title of the bill?

$30 billion: Transportation projects
$31 billion: Construction and repair of federal buildings and other public infrastructure
$19 billion: Water projects
$10 billion: Rail and mass transit projects

That's $90,000,000,000 of the over $819,000,000,000 dollars is committed for infrastructure. That's about 9.1% of the entire package.
What law is violated by that?

Now the bill says $300,000,000 available to intercity rail, and it says the money can be AWARDED within 180 days. Awarded, not spent. THIS IS NOT A STIMULUS.
What is the title of the bill?

If you would like to have a discussion about the value of Amtrak and whether tax payers should be forced to continue financing that losing entity, very well.
I'll get back to you if I do. But don't hold your breath while waiting for me.

But I take offense when people hide it in bill that is supposed to be a quick, stimulus to the economy.
What is the name of the bill?

What law is violated by that?
Is the Mick Jagger -bot broken again?
When did I argue that a "law was being broken?"

What is the name of the bill?
I thought you'd read the bill already?
The official name of the bill passed by the House is "American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009" HR 1. It's commonly referred to as the Stimulus bill- as you did in the subject of the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
When did I argue that a "law was being broken?"
Is there natural law which dictates that transportation, construction and repair of federal buildings and other public infrastructure, water and rail and mass transit projects can only comprise 901% of a legislative bill?

I love this message!!!

This message is hidden because Mick Jagger is on your ignore list.​

Is there natural law which dictates that transportation, construction and repair of federal buildings and other public infrastructure, water and rail and mass transit projects can only comprise 901% of a legislative bill?

Is there a natural law that says infrastructure can comprise of no more than 9.1% of a legislative bill?

See how I did that? See how i responded to one of your stupid replies with an equally pointless response? I can do that too. Of course none of this has anything to do with the topic of the thread or anything I've said in this thread... but Jagger-bot doesn't respond with reason, he's clearly a sophisticated spam-bot.

Dobbs again promotes GOP claims that SCHIP could benefit undocumented immigrants

Summary: CNN's Lisa Sylvester again uncritically reported Republican claims that "people living in the United States illegally might be able to access" health insurance benefits under new legislation extending SCHIP. Lou Dobbs also stated that "opponents say it will make it easier for illegal aliens to receive taxpayer-funded health insurance." But neither Sylvester nor Dobbs noted that the legislation includes a citizenship verification process in which states would use SCHIP applicants' names and Social Security numbers to verify that they are eligible.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200902050001?f=h_latest

Dobbs again promotes GOP claims that SCHIP could benefit undocumented immigrants

Summary: CNN's Lisa Sylvester again uncritically reported Republican claims that "people living in the United States illegally might be able to access" health insurance benefits under new legislation extending SCHIP. Lou Dobbs also stated that "opponents say it will make it easier for illegal aliens to receive taxpayer-funded health insurance." But neither Sylvester nor Dobbs noted that the legislation includes a citizenship verification process in which states would use SCHIP applicants' names and Social Security numbers to verify that they are eligible.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200902050001?f=h_latest

Is this a thread about Lou Dobbs, or one about the Stimulus- or Amtrak, or SCHIP?

Members online

No members online now.
Back