Wifes Lincoln Town Car

CynthiasMark

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyione. I just put information on another generic information area of this forum. Sorry. Not good at this. I just purchased my wife a nice 1997 Lincoln Towncar for my wife. We're Having problems with a couple windows. The passenger side rear is not working at all. Is it an easy fix? I'm 50 & even though I'm a bit savy, I'm not like I used to be 20 years ago. Well, at least I'm better with cars than I am with websites. Also, the driver side window operates really slowly. What does that mean? is this normal? I also noticed it does not have an automatic roll down function. Did they come with that in 1997? I wish I could put the picture on the page, My son's coming over tomorrow so maybe he can help me some.

Hi everyione. I just put information on another generic information area of this forum. Sorry. Not good at this. I just purchased my wife a nice 1997 Lincoln Towncar for my wife. We're Having problems with a couple windows. The passenger side rear is not working at all. Is it an easy fix?

Maybe, maybe not. That depends on what is wrong and your skill level. My crystal ball is in the shop for repairs so no definite answers offered. My only suggestion is to grab your multimeter/test light and the tools necessary to remove the door panels and go to work troubleshooting the problem.

Also, the driver side window operates really slowly. What does that mean? is this normal?

What that means is that you need to find out what's wrong with it. There are many components to power windows, starting with the power supply, switching, motor, safety clutch drive dogs, regulator, mechanical tracking and of course all of the wiring involved.

One thing I do know is that I had 3 windows fail within a week of each other. I took me 4 hours in the driveway on a 90° day to change out the clutch drive dogs in all 4 windows. The fourth one was within hours of failing as well. The dogs turn to mush and crumble over time, ergo no coupling between the motor and regulator. The drive dogs can be found at any good parts store that carries the Dorman 'Help' line and have the P/N 74410. They were $7.99/card/window a little over a year ago. Replacement requires drilling out the original rivets and replacing them with 1/4” X 1/2” bolts and nylock nuts when reassembling.

The drive dogs:

74410-007.jpg

No it's not normal to have a window operate real slowly. Have you lubricated the tracks?

I also noticed it does not have an automatic roll down function. Did they come with that in 1997?

Yes the '97 models came with the 'one touch down window’ feature. That is controlled by the left front door module. I think you can surmise where that module is located. If that feature has gone awry, there are firms that sell the OTDW control modules with harness. I added one to my '92 and it works as advertised. The same module that was used by FoMoCo in earlier models.

If you desire wiring road maps I can furnish those as well.

I wish I could put the picture on the page,

Picture of what? A picture of the car is not going to tell anyone what is wrong. You have to roll up your sleeves and get 'r done.

My son's coming over tomorrow so maybe he can help me some.

I hope so as well. Good luck.

Whoooo. That sounds a bit more complicated thatn I expected. I will get to work this upcoming weekend & see if I can do this myself or turn it over to my mechanic friend. Hes very trustworthy.

By the way, no, i have not lubricated anything on the windows. I just got the car for the wife. Just registered it & have yet to touch it mechanically. Tomorrow I'm doing an oil change & tire rotation.

Members online

No members online now.
Back