Why Tax Rate Reductions Are More Stimulative Than Rebates: Lessons from 2001 and 2003

Here is a very good article on this subject which I doubt you will read or even consider.

Shag - from your article you linked to above...

Nonsense. In 1938 the unemployment rate was 19.1%, i.e. almost one out of five workers was unemployed, this is from the official Bureau of Census/Bureau of Labor Statistics data series for the 1930s. (same as Marcus' chart which was 19%, well, within .1%...)

If you go by Heritage's little chart... unemployment in 1938 was 28%, 9% higher than the article you state...

Thanks so much for proving my point... even the article you quote uses the unemployment numbers almost everyone else uses for the depression. I would really be interested if you could find anyone who has used Heritage's numbers...

Not cherry picking... examples - I give you the same opportunity - find anyone before the Heritage chart came out that used the same numbers that Heritage uses. Almost 40% unemployment in 1933 - come on...

You obviously can't let go of your source... A bit clingy aren't we? ;)

Shag - from your article you linked to above...

Nonsense. In 1938 the unemployment rate was 19.1%, i.e. almost one out of five workers was unemployed, this is from the official Bureau of Census/Bureau of Labor Statistics data series for the 1930s. (same as Marcus' chart which was 19%, well, within .1%...)

If you go by Heritage's little chart... unemployment in 1938 was 28%, 9% higher than the article you state...

Thanks so much for proving my point... even the article you quote uses the unemployment numbers almost everyone else uses for the depression. I would really be interested if you could find anyone who has used Heritage's numbers...

Not cherry picking... examples - I give you the same opportunity - find anyone before the Heritage chart came out that used the same numbers that Heritage uses. Almost 40% unemployment in 1933 - come on...

You obviously can't let go of your source... A bit clingy aren't we? ;)

Here is the entire article (with relevant parts highlighted):

Regarding unemployment during the Great Depression, Andrew Wilson writing at the WSJ recently said:

As late as 1938, after almost a decade of governmental "pump priming," almost one out of five workers remained unemployed.
Historian Eric Rauchway says this is a lie, a lie spread by conservatives to besmirch the sainted FDR. Nonsense. In 1938 the unemployment rate was 19.1%, i.e. almost one out of five workers was unemployed, this is from the official Bureau of Census/Bureau of Labor Statistics data series for the 1930s. You can find the series in Historical Statistics of the United States here (big PDF) or a graph from Rauchway here. Rauchway knows this but wants to measure unemployment using an alternative series which shows a lower unemployment rate in 1938 (12.5%). Nothing wrong with that but there's no reason to call people who use the official series liars.

So why are there multiple series on unemployment for the 1930s? The reason is that the current sampling method of estimation was not developed until 1940, thus unemployment rates prior to this time have to be estimated and this leads to some judgment calls. The primary judgment call is what do about people on work relief. The official series counts these people as unemployed.

Rauchway thinks that counting people on work-relief as unemployed is a right-wing plot. If so, it is a right-wing plot that exists to this day because people who are on workfare, the modern version of work relief, are also counted as unemployed. Now if Rauchway wants to lower all estimates of unemployment, including those under say George W. Bush, then at least that would be even-handed but lowering unemployment rates just under the Presidents you like hardly seems like fair play.

Moreover, it's quite reasonable to count people on work-relief as unemployed. Notice that if we counted people on work-relief as employed then eliminating unemployment would be very easy - just require everyone on any kind of unemployment relief to lick stamps. Of course if we made this change, politicians would immediately conspire to hide as much unemployment as possible behind the fig leaf of workfare/work-relief.

There is a second reason we may not want to count people on work-relief as employed and that is if we are interested in the effect of the New Deal on the private economy. In other words, did the fiscal stimulus work to restore the economy and get people back to work? Well, we can't answer that question using unemployment statistics if we count people on work-relief as employed. Notice that this was precisely the context of the WSJ quote.

One final thing that one could do is count people on work-relief as neither employed nor unemployed, i.e. not part of the labor force which is what we do for people in the military. Rauchway has data on this and it shows almost the same thing, nearly one in five unemployed, as the original series. (In this case, however, Rauchway counts nearly one in five unemployed as a win for the New Deal because the same series also shows higher unemployment earlier in the Great Depression.)

Any way you slice it there is no right-wing plot to raise unemployment rates during the New Deal and a historian should not go around calling people liars just because their judgment offends his wish-conclusions.

Remember Heritage is only reporting on "nonfarm-workers" and by every estimate (including the current "official" estimates) their numbers are accurate.

Unemployment wasn't reported until 1940, so any year before that was based on calculation and estimation. From this link you can find what the various Census' asked and looked for. It wasn't until 1940 that they started focusing on employment status.

Here are the questions from the 1940 Census, and for reference, here are the questions from the 1930 Census.

As I pointed out earlier, basic calculation from the numbers reported in all the pre-1940 Census info (which also included payroll info) can get you nonfarm worker unemployment.

Anything else is going to be based on estimates because the info just wasn't there to accurately calculate the unemployment for the whole country.

The numbers the article is citing are, once again, the Lebergott 1967 estimates, which are what is reported as the "official" numbers today.

But again, those numbers are estimates, and the non-worker numbers are directly calculated.

Basically, at a certian accuracy level, all you can get a picture of from the numbers given is the non-farm workforce. If you try to include the farm workforce, you reduce the accuracy of the numbers greatly.

And again, the farm area was hit that hardest of any sector (double wammy of Great Depression and massive drought) and was the least effected by New Deal policies at the time (being very much an economic non-entity and very self-reliant), so including them will, to a degree, distort the effects of New Deal legislation.

You are still trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here because the data sets you are looking at are looking at two different things. One is looking at non-farm workers and one is looking (through estimates) at the entire workforce. It is apples and oranges.

Heritage has always had two very good reasons for looking at the numbers they looked at when evaluating the New Deal:
  • non-farm workers are the only area in the economy from that time that accurate and relevant numbers are available from.
  • because of the nature of farm life (especially at the time), and the circumstances of the time (massive drought), it's inclusion would distort the effects of the New Deal by looking at area's that arguably weren't effected much by the New Deal at the time (in terms of growing the economy) and were hugely effected by other, very rare, circumstances.

If you are evaluating the effects of the New Deal, especially on unemployment, including non-farm workers is going to distort the picture. Not including them is going to be more accurate.

You are now trying to compare apples to oranges. You started out harping about why Heritage was citing only non-farm workers, and now you are ignoring that distinction.

To paraphrase your argument for who tax cuts won't work in the current economic mess; if you are producing nothing, no one can buy anything to consume and the economy spirals downard. That was what was happening in the farming community (and farm economy) in the 1930's due to the drought; they could produce nothing.

All the money in the world could not change that because the weather does what it does regardless of what government does. So any New Deal policy that effected the farming community (AAA, FSA) wouldn't have much of a positive effect on the employment in the farming community at the time, because they were incapable of reversing their shrinking output. It wasn't an incentive issue, it was an issue of ability, and when it isn't raining, you can't grow anything or water your livestock very well.

Not suprisingly, you missed the point in that article I wanted you to get. Can you guess what it was?

The "guarantee" thing was a figure of speech. I know you realize that (considering all your little "cute" comments here), so you are simply being purposely obtuse here. So, you have been running with this little passive agressive angle through the past 55 posts.

OK, now I finally got that out of you - 'figure of speech'. When you start stating 'guarantee', when you know that your supposition will never be tested, someone has to call you on it Shag... It is easy to throw around 'I guarantee this, and I guarantee that', I know, I have worked for people who throw those types of promises around. It is even more easy to do it when you or your theory won't be tested. You can have theories that you believe will be better or more effective, but guarantee's in debate are few and far between, and certainly not applicable in this case.

You still haven't shown how this is relevant. All the clever deflections and dodges in the world will not logically shift the burden of proof back to me. Will cutting one capital gains tax not create an incentive to invest when another would?

Long term capital gains are very different than short term capital gains shag. They are taxed differently because short term capital gains are seen not to help the long term growth of the economy. They are 'short sighted' and are taxed higher because of that. Long term capital gains are seen as constructive and growth oriented. Day traders do not help the companies they trade. They work only for their own personal bottom line. That is why short term capital gains are taxed at rates closer to income tax. Cutting long term capital gains make sense to grow the economy. Cutting short term capital gains only promises to create a false bubble in the market as short term investors bid up the market, similar to what happened in the 20s, buying on margins.

Not looking at income with and eye toward "fairness" is inherently not class distinction, while the reverse (which you seem to advocate) is the definition of class distinction when it comes to taxes.

Besides, those people paying a capital gains tax are (more often then not) investing money they already earned and payed taxes on.

And they don't pay taxes on the money they invest shag - they only pay taxes on the money that is realized as a gain. It is just like giving money to your brother for his business. You invest. He is a success, and so he gives you 50% return on your money - you only pay taxes on the 50% profit. If you lose your money - and your brother goes out of business, you can write it off against your 'real' income (up to a certain point). That is if your brother was publicly traded on Nasdaq... ;)
Then how have we ever come out of a recession? You keep ignoring history to justify your faith in flawed keynsian (or qazi-keynsian) assumptions. You are basing your view on unfounded speculation!

So, shag the last big recession we came out of was the one in the early 80s - Carter's legacy to Reagan. How did Reagan get out of it? He cut taxes and congress increased spending, resulting in a large deficit. That is what is going to happen with Obama's plan.

History has shown that the government never gets a country out of a recession directly. The only thing that has ever done that is the free market!

That is because the government always intervenes in some way - they cut taxes, they increase spending, they back industries, or sometimes, something they don't plan on, they get into a war. Reagan intervened, Bush intervened, Eisenhower intervened…

That little downward spiral you talk about is present in every recession (to varying degrees) and the only entity that has ever been shown to get a nation out of a recession is the free market and private enterprise. The government has never done that and has usually made things worse.

600,000 jobs is not a little downward spiral... especially when unemployment numbers for February are expected to be even greater, and it was proceed by huge numbers in November (533,000) and December (570,000). This isn't a 'little spiral down'. This is 14 months into a recession, we are hemorrhaging jobs, we have a banking sector in crisis, we have a housing market in crisis, we have a stock market tanking, the credit market is hosed. Reagan/Bush didn’t have to deal with the banks failing, 1/2 value in 6 months in the stock market, housing free falling, and frozen credit. This isn’t a normal recession Shag.

This quote (from here) puts it best:
The proper salve for a lack of job creation would be an infusion of capital into the markets. The failure of businesses normally creates openings for small start-ups to take their place, or for innovators to find new solutions to new problems and bring them to market. The Obama administration should encourage capital to come to market by lowering the risk cost through cuts in the capital-gains tax rates, or eliminating them entirely, for the next four years.

So, the government should lower the risk costs? Fine - remove the tax on the gains, but, on the other side, remove the write-off as well, at least a percentage of it. Doesn't capitalism involve 'risk'?

That will create jobs and expand opportunity, and would balance the layoffs of firms that had shaky business models even before the latest financial crisis. In fact, that’s why the 2000-1 recession managed to absorb the dot-com bubble collapse as well as the 9/11 attack collapse so well. The Bush administration lowered taxes and kept capital working to create jobs. Instead, the Obama administration wants to re-create the WPA, digging ditches just to refill them later, and paying for it by eventually seizing the capital that could have created real, long-term employment.

Ah, Shag – war gets us out of recessions – that is why Bush averted a worse recession. War…

You act as it we are in a situation that the free market cannot cure but the government can, but every example in history has the exact opposite to be true.

Are you incapable of acknowledging that? Or are you purposly being obtuse and working to ofuscate.

You are basing your view completely on speculation, hyperbole, an intentional ignoring of history empty rhetorical truisms and faith in economic polices that have been proven failures.

And are you blind to the fact that the government has intervened in almost every recession, whether it was up front with tax breaks, or back door with government spending. Eisenhower spent, Kennedy spent, Bush spent, Reagan spent. Government spending skyrocketed during their administrations. Just because it wasn’t ‘labeled’ as economic stimulus doesn’t mean that they didn’t spend. Obama is calling a (well, let’s not go there) spending package ‘economic stimulus’. Bush called it the War in Iraq. Kennedy/Johnson called it the Vietnam War, Reagan called it the Cold War. Lets call this the Economic War – like that better?

Obama is not substantively cutting taxes. He is making token cuts that are going to be offset by the abolishing of Bush's tax cuts.

The Bush tax cuts aren’t off the table – they are set to expire I believe in 2010 – and will be reviewed then.

from here:
In economics, a depression is a sustained, long downturn in one or more economies. It is more severe than a recession, which is seen as a normal downturn in the business cycle.

Considered a rare but extreme form of recession, a depression is characterized by abnormal increases in unemployment, restriction of credit, shrinking output and investment, numerous bankruptcies, reduced amounts of trade and commerce, as well as highly volatile relative currency value fluctuations, mostly devaluations...

...A proposed definition for depression is a sustained recessionary period in which the population is forced to dispose of tangible assets to fund every day living, as was seen in the US and in Germany in the 1930s.

a depression is a recession. You are trying to make a differentiation where one doesn't exist; another fallacious argument called denying the correlative.
where an attempt is made to introduce another option into a true correlative

And having sex a woman is the same as having sex with a guy… come on.

It is like saying I won the race is the same as I broke the world land speed record.

It is like saying hamburger and filet mignon are the same.

Its like saying I live in my mother’s basement and I live in the penthouse at the Dakota is the same.

• 2 examples of mischaracterization/distortion
  • 1 example of shifting the burden of proof
  • 2 red herring arguments
  • 1 rehtorical tautology
  • 1 proof by assertion
  • 1 false analogy
  • 1 denying the correlative
  • 1 example of cherry picking
  • 1 broad example of quoting out of context
  • 1 appeal to the majority

I may have missed some things...

Yes, I believe you missed:
7 swans a swimming
2’s company, 3’s more fun
Four legs good, two legs bad

I love the score card shag -;)

You are still trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here because the data sets you are looking at are looking at two different things. One is looking at non-farm workers and one is looking (through estimates) at the entire workforce. It is apples and oranges.

As I said shag, I am quite happy using the Heritage numbers, it makes FDR look better and Hoover worse.

And my mother's family were farmers during the great depression, in Kansas, and obviously they don't count as employed. Even though they brought goods to market, made a living, and hired other farm labor.

I just would like to see where others have used the 37.5% number for unemployment in 1933.

I bet you would have been all over me if I had used that number, because no one in their right mind would use it. No one has. Right? I noticed you didn't come up with a handful of examples of source that states over 1 in 3 unemployment during the height of the depression.

Not suprisingly, you missed the point in that article I wanted you to get. Can you guess what it was?

Easy - you are right and I am wrong. That is always your point Shag. The right is right and the left is wrong.;)

Yes, I believe you missed:
7 swans a swimming
2’s company, 3’s more fun
Four legs good, two legs bad

I love the score card shag -;)
This is not an argument. It's a dodge. Very typical.

You think you're funny but you're not.

Shag is spending time and effort to engage you in meaningful debate, and you are making a mockery.

You don't debate in good faith.

This is not an argument. It's a dodge. Very typical.

You think you're funny but you're not.

Shag is spending time and effort to engage you in meaningful debate, and you are making a mockery.

You don't debate in good faith.

Why do you think I stopped debating in this thread?

Keeping score is puerile (I have much better words, but, in this arena I won't use them).

I spent time and effort to debate this meaningfully, as well, if you look at the rest of post #128, but I will call out that type of behavior every time. Because I do it jokingly means I wish to do so gently.

Keeping score is puerile (I have much better words, but, in this arena I won't use them).

I spent time and effort to debate this meaningfully, as well, if you look at the rest of post #128, but I will call out that type of behavior every time. Because I do it jokingly means I wish to do so gently.
Your excuses are worthless. Whenever Shag makes a good point, you make jokes because you can't answer the argument on the merits.

Members online

No members online now.
Back