Why is the battery keep dying???

lincoln4182

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 2001 LS V8 will not crank sometime. The battery is good and charging systems OK push out 14.2 Volts when engine running. Then I just replaced new Die Hard Gold 850 Amps. It's OK for few days, and now it does not crank sometime. It could be dead anytime anyplace. I have no ideas... Does anyone know what is the problem?

My 2001 LS V8 will not crank sometime. The battery is good and charging systems OK push out 14.2 Volts when engine running. Then I just replaced new Die Hard Gold 850 Amps. It's OK for few days, and now it does not crank sometime. It could be dead anytime anyplace. I have no ideas... Does anyone know what is the problem?

Driving habits. Many short trips which don't allow the computers to go into hibernate mode. IIRC, the car needs to set for ~30 minutes for the pcm to put the system in hibernate mode.

Then again it could be an electrical leak.

Driving habits. Many short trips which don't allow the computers to go into hibernate mode. IIRC, the car needs to set for ~30 minutes for the pcm to put the system in hibernate mode.

Then again it could be an electrical leak.

You are right. I don't drive my car a lot and drive it too far. So I need disconnect/reconnect battery and drive for at lease 30 minutes once in a while?

Ive done a ton of like, 1/16 mile trips within like 20 mins, and mine started fine every time. My old battery would give out perfect reading, but if I left my radio on for more than like 3 minutes my battery would be completely dead.

I'd maybe try a battery disconnect. Pick it up at a local auto store, your cable will attach to the disconnect and the disconnect will sit on your battery post. Just flip the handle to engage / disengage the battery cable. Also, make sure you disconnect the NEGATIVE cable, or you become a ground for 24 amps to run through :D

Or do what I did. My wife has the same driving style and would be on her second battery in a year. The first was a warranty replacement as I'm sure this one would be. My local Lincoln dealer moved 35 miles away so I just went and bought one of these. So far so good. Plug it in maybe every other week overnight and you should be good to go.

Check that the map lights, trunk lights, and glove box lights are all off when the car is off. Do you have a gen 1 Boomerang or lowJack. Do you have a stereo added on.

Anything aftermarket, unplug and reconnect one by one till you find the problem. (Alarms can be a big problem for this)

I drive 3 miles to work everyday the battery has never failed due to hibernation problems.

Good luck

Members online

No members online now.
Back