Why does this happen?

Bob Hubbard

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I posted this message on the lcoc board, and now this board in the hope someone can tell me why this is happening.
In some of the pictures I take with my digital camera, bright lines show up that ruin the picture.
It doesn't happen in all pictures, just some.
I have a Sony mavica camera that uses floppy disk.
It looks like a reflection from the sun but that doesn't make sense because I have taken other pictures in the sun and no lines show up.
This has me baffled because these lines are messing up a otherwise great picture.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

503136_102_full.jpg

Bob Hubbard said:
I posted this message on the lcoc board, and now this board in the hope someone can tell me why this is happening.
In some of the pictures I take with my digital camera, bright lines show up that ruin the picture.
It doesn't happen in all pictures, just some.
I have a Sony mavica camera that uses floppy disk.
It looks like a reflection from the sun but that doesn't make sense because I have taken other pictures in the sun and no lines show up.
This has me baffled because these lines are messing up a otherwise great picture.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

503136_102_full.jpg

It probably has to do with the angle the sun is to the camera. Perhaps the sun is refelecting off some internal part of the camera while it is scanning.
I would recommend havng the sun behind you when you take pictures or take them on an overcast or less bright day.

Also could be sun reflecting off just the right angle against the chrome bumper or grille...

Yeah, I don't think it's any coincidence that the lines are all lined up with headlamps/curved surfaces which basically reflect in any direction

One thing I forgot to mention, these lines only show up in pictures of the convertible.
I have taken pictures of my pickup and mark v and the lines aren't there.
One picture I took of the pickup has the convertible in the background and a faint pinkish line is at the bottom of the convertible.
The polorizing filter you mentioned, is that something I can attach o this camera?

Hey...

If you take a close look at the picture you can see focal points from the chrome on your grill. So, the best idea would be to change the angle of the car, or wait and take the picture at a different time of day... Or when its overcast something like that. :)

Bob Hubbard said:
One thing I forgot to mention, these lines only show up in pictures of the convertible.
I have taken pictures of my pickup and mark v and the lines aren't there.
One picture I took of the pickup has the convertible in the background and a faint pinkish line is at the bottom of the convertible.
The polorizing filter you mentioned, is that something I can attach o this camera?

Depends on the camera, but if you can't find one the right size or if you can't put filters on your lens you can just hold the filter in place and that would work ok. They are great for getting rid of unwanted reflections.

Members online

No members online now.
Back