Why 2 keys for programming

It's for security. If it only took one key, then the valet or anyone who borrowed it could add a key for themselves and come back and take the car later that night.

Remotes (not keys) do not require two keys to program in. Note that the eight turn thing is for programming remotes, and you only need one key to do that.
Programming new keys does require two keys, but you do not turn the key on and off anywhere close to eight times to do this.
Your owner's manual explains all of this.

If you only have one key then you will have to go to a Ford dealer or a locksmith with the right scan tool to add more keys. In the end, you want to have at least three working keys. That way if you lose one later, you can still add a replacement without having to pay someone to do it.

Another thing that you are probably missing out on is the keypad on the door. If you have the master code for that, then you can program your on personal codes to use to unlock the car. There are only two known ways to get that code, a card in your owner's manual, or a service charge from a Ford/Lincoln dealer to get them to pull the code.

It's for security. If it only took one key, then the valet or anyone who borrowed it could add a key for themselves and come back and take the car later that night.

Remotes (not keys) do not require two keys to program in. Note that the eight turn thing is for programming remotes, and you only need one key to do that.
Programming new keys does require two keys, but you do not turn the key on and off anywhere close to eight times to do this.
Your owner's manual explains all of this.

If you only have one key then you will have to go to a Ford dealer or a locksmith with the right scan tool to add more keys. In the end, you want to have at least three working keys. That way if you lose one later, you can still add a replacement without having to pay someone to do it.

Another thing that you are probably missing out on is the keypad on the door. If you have the master code for that, then you can program your on personal codes to use to unlock the car. There are only two known ways to get that code, a card in your owner's manual, or a service charge from a Ford/Lincoln dealer to get them to pull the code.

This proccedure only works on GEN2 correct?

So I really need is just another slave key then I can 2 new fob keys programmed.

ok to be as clear is humanly possible...

to program any fob (whether it is separate or part of the key) you need ONE key (and it has to be a 2nd gen)

to program any key to start the car, you need the correct TWO keys already programmed to the car (no matter which generation LS)

if you only have one key for your car, and you buy a VW/Mazda style switchblade or flip key, you will only be able to have the key cut to unlock the doors, and programmed so that the buttons can also unlock the doors, however the switchblade can not be used to start the engine.

however they will can switchblade can not be used to start the engine.

image.jpg

image.jpg

ok to be as clear is humanly possible...

to program any fob (whether it is separate or part of the key) you need ONE key (and it has to be a 2nd gen)

to program any key to start the car, you need the correct TWO keys already programmed to the car (no matter which generation LS)

if you only have one key for your car, and you buy a VW/Mazda style switchblade or flip key, you will only be able to have the key cut to unlock the doors, and programmed so that the buttons can also unlock the doors, however they will can switchblade can not be used to start the engine.

Correct, to program remotes you just need the start key. To make more start keys your need both a master and slave key. As for years I think the video said 2003 and up for the keys. The process for fobs should be the same on all ls lincolns .?

In my case I only have one master key with no remotes. I'll visit the dealership and have a slave key made for around 80-100. At this point I can order 2 fob remotes and 2 fob flip key remotes all in one. When they arrive I'll pair the original master and slave to the normal fob remote. Next I'll have the flip keys cut then using the master and slave keys program them to the car. In the end I'll have four sets of keys and remotes for the car. The master and slave keys with the normal fob remotes, plus the new programmed flip keys all in one fobs.

... As for years I think the video said 2003 and up for the keys. The process for fobs should be the same on all ls lincolns .?...

No.
1LoudLS's post is, of course, correct. You quote and say it is correct, but then you go on to contradict it. Apparently, it still isn't clear enough.
It was also in post #6 above.

Key programming is the same for 2000-2006.
Fob programming (by the owner) is only for 2003-2006. 2000 to 2002 have to go to the dealer to get fobs (remotes) added.

Thought I read something to the effect that individual fobs could also be programmed to retain individual driver settings? Something to do with the fobs and the #1 & 2 settings on the drivers door. If not, I really should stop reading small fine print just before bed time.

Thought I read something to the effect that individual fobs could also be programmed to retain individual driver settings? Something to do with the fobs and the #1 & 2 settings on the drivers door. If not, I really should stop reading small fine print just before bed time.

Yup..... It's in the OM.....

Yup..... It's in the OM.....

does this work with any/all ford 4 button remotes or does it have to be a special remote?

I know my dads Continental used different remotes, his were not the normal dark black (kinda like a light black or dark grey) but had a switch on the back side of the remote for which setting you would like to access when that remote was used.

does this work with any/all ford 4 button remotes or does it have to be a special remote?...

This works with any LS remote.

Activating the memory feature
To activate this feature:
1. Position the seat, mirrors, steering column and adjustable pedals to
the positions you desire.
2. Press the SET control on the
driver’s door panel.
3. Within 5 five seconds, press any
control on the remote transmitter
and then press the 1 or 2 control on
the driver’s door panel to associate
with the Driver 1 or Driver 2
positions.
4. Repeat this procedure for another
remote transmitter if desired.

Guess it's a good feature to utilize if you do in fact share the LS with another family member and they prefer a different, shall we say, seating arrangement. I know my wife needs the back up mirror right low and prefers the seat up closer but I also know she's not allowed anywhere near my ride. Just when I get in her car, I'm looking at my chin in the rear view until I adjust it manually. Anyway, long story short, nice to be able to unlock the car with a remote that's also programmed to ones own individual preferred settings.

Hmm, never thought about this or even ever tried but does the rear view self adjust as well according to the #1 2 preference settings from the drivers door controls. I know both side mirrors do but ... rear view?

If it does, it would of course also be able to be programmed to the two different Fobs.

???

Sorry, the [interior] rear view mirror is not motorized.

Never even thought about it before.

ok follow question, the local key shop can program/cut a clone key for the car. Is this any different than the dealer making me a new slave key? I just want a second key so I can program more keys. Dealer wants 40 for the key and 100 to program it.

maybe, depends on the local shop... few have a scan tool and can program it properly to the car, most just clone a key. the car can't tell cloned keys apart, so the car will think both keys are the same key...(wont work)

long story short, call and ask. if you walk in and hand them a key, they just clone it. if they hook a computer up to the car and program the keys to the car, then it is a unique key.

honestly, your best bet is to just go to the dealer, and buy two keys from them and have them program it, there will only be once charge for programming keys so its silly not to have them do a second one at the same time. then now that you have three keys, you can lose one and still be able to make your own copies (which you should do immediately after losing one so that you don't have to pay a dealer again if you lose another one)

ok follow question, the local key shop can program/cut a clone key for the car. Is this any different than the dealer making me a new slave key? I just want a second key so I can program more keys. Dealer wants 40 for the key and 100 to program it.

Yes it is different. When they clone a key, it only mimics the one you already have, therefore they are usually cheaper. However, you cannot program new keys with a clone key. I went to a lock smith to have my key programmed. I bought the key at Lincoln and had them cut it, took it to the lock smith and for $50 they programmed it as a second key. Took roughly 3 minutes to do. The dealership will tell you it takes an hour and they charge you $100, it's not true.

The dealership will tell you it takes an hour and ...

But they give you a free coffee and a muffin plus you get to hang out in the "lounge", no?
For that kinda money, you not think we aught to perhaps get a Fn table dance or two with it!

Yes it is different. When they clone a key, it only mimics the one you already have, therefore they are usually cheaper. However, you cannot program new keys with a clone key. ...

This.

... took it to the lock smith and for $50 they programmed it as a second key. Took roughly 3 minutes to do. The dealership will tell you it takes an hour and they charge you $100, it's not true.

True, except that it takes just over 10 minutes. (There is a built-in ten minute security delay enforced by the car's PCM.)

Members online

Back