Who's at fault for gas prices? Partly, it's us

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Who's at fault for gas prices? Partly, it's us

BY JOCELYN PARKER
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER[/font] May 11, 2004

Sorry folks: We're at least partly to blame for the ongoing pain at the gas pump.

Like it or not, we're burning more gas than ever. Consumption has jumped nearly 24 percent since 1990. And the government says we're on track to burn another 48 percent by 2025.

Sure, there are more vehicles on the road. Between 1990 and 2001, the number of registered vehicles grew about 22 percent, according to the federal government. And the miles those vehicles traveled jumped 29 percent.

But the biggest reason consumption has risen so sharply -- after growing at a much slower pace in preceding years -- is parked in many of our driveways: The number of light trucks, especially SUVs, has spiked in the past several years, growing about 74 percent between 1990 and 2001. And since these vehicles consume more gas than passenger cars, they're likely responsible for the record level of fuel use, experts say.

The period between 1980 and 1990 showed only a 5-percent increase in fuel consumption compared with a 23.5-percent increase between 1990 and 2003.

It's not that light trucks -- which consist of SUVs, vans and pickups, aren't more fuel efficient than they used to be. Better engines and lighter materials have vastly improved fuel economy since the 1970s, a time when thirsty V8 engines dominated America's roads.

But trucks are becoming a bigger part of our vehicle mix. In 1990, light trucks made up about a quarter of the nation's fleet, compared with 37 percent in 2001, the last year for which government figures are available. Since these vehicles get fewer miles to the gallon than cars, they're driving up the amount of fuel we use.

That use is straining already tight gas supplies. Experts say prices ultimately will move higher if things don't change.

"People enjoy bigger cars and SUVs and then scream bloody murder when there are higher gas prices," said Fadel Gheit, an oil analyst with Oppenheimer & Co.

Gas inventories are about 6 percent below what they were a year ago.

Fuel consumption is so high that the oil refineries are barely keeping up with demand, experts say. The refineries already are running at more than 90-percent capacity and the chance of new ones being built is slim, said Linda Casey, a spokeswoman for Marathon Ashland Petroleum.

According to a Bloomberg report, Valero Energy Corp. Chief Executive Officer Bill Greehey recently said that there could be fuel shortages this summer because refiners can't make enough fuel to meet rising demand.

Tight supplies generally move crude-oil prices higher. For consumers, higher crude prices equate to higher gas prices because crude oil makes up 46 percent of the cost of a gallon of gasoline. The other percentages are: 12-percent distribution and marketing costs, 14-percent refining costs and 28-percent federal and state taxes. Crude hit $40 a barrel last week, a 13-year high.

Fuel costs are reaching new records even before summer.

Gas prices in Michigan are near the record levels of the summer of 2000 and the chance of them falling isn't promising. On Monday, AAA Michigan said the average price of a gallon of self-serve regular stood at $1.94 in Michigan and $1.93 in metro Detroit.

We're burning gas at a record pace largely because we're dumping cars for trucks. Passenger car growth has been mostly gradual, at only 18 percent between 1978 and 2001. By contrast, light truck registrations have soared. In 1978, there were 25.5 million light trucks on the road. In 2001, there were 84.2 million -- a 230-percent increase.

In general, consumers have opted for SUVs and other light trucks because they're big, they hold a lot of stuff and they can carry many passengers.

The rub is that many of them don't go far on a gallon of gasoline. The Ford Explorer, the nation's most popular SUV, barely gets 20 miles per gallon on the highway, compared with 30 miles per gallon for a Ford Focus, a small car.

Some SUVs -- such as the Hummer H2 -- are so large that they fall outside the limits for which the federal government certifies fuel economy.

Even so, today's light trucks use less gas than they did 26 years ago. In 1978, light trucks went 11.6 miles on a gallon of gasoline. In 2001, light trucks averaged 17.6 miles on a gallon of gas.

Last year, the United States used an average of 8.94 million barrels of gasoline a day and this year is averaging 8.8 million barrels -- at 42 gallons per barrel -- a day through March, up 2.8 percent from the first quarter last year. Other factors involved

Some experts aren't convinced that light trucks are moving prices higher.

Ron Planting, an economist with the American Petroleum Institute, said global crude oil demand, especially in Asia, is influencing prices more than SUVs.

"If it were all due to gradual trends, we would have seen a gradual rise in prices as well," Planting said.

Some experts pointed to the explosion of the auto industry in China for the spike in worldwide demand for fuel. The Asia-Pacific region consumed 21.9 million barrels of petroleum in 2003, up from 11.5 million barrels a day in 1987.

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries also has slashed oil production, which is straining supplies, Planting said.

Experts also pointed to limited refining capacity. The last U.S. refinery was built in 1976 and it is doubtful that others will be built because of stringent pollution controls and the overall public distaste for having a refinery built in a community, experts said. "People are going to want more oil and inventories are going to be stressed to the limits," said AAA Michigan spokesman Jim Rink.

Story can be found here: http://www.freep.com/news/driving/gas11_20040511.htm

Majically enough Exxon is about to become the worlds biggest company and pass GM. I wonder if gas prices have something to do with it. I'm paying 2.40 for Premium in cali... its not bad yet... but i think 3 is very very close and i think San Francisco i somewhere in the high 2s ... 2.89 or so for premium. :steering :steering :steering :steering :steering

sweet. Just in time for the start of the new electric car company coming up in cali.

I tend to agree with maxmk8. Theres always an excuse, but i bet the executives at oil companys, and the people who wrote that article are dirivng around in a navigator, or maybe an escalade, maybie that new porche turbo. Hell its not their problem they have lots of money.

I say, bring it on, and finally we will be able to make eninges out of something other than gasoline. A litte competition for mix. (I am a fan of electrical myself)

I only use 91 oct or higher in my M7. Just one of the reason why I wouldn't drive it every day. Havnt paid over $2 for a gallon. But the next time I put gas in it. It will be in that area. Last time I put gas in it. Was around Dec 2003 or Jan 2004. 91 oct was around $1.91 a gallon!

Ive been driving My diesel more then ever these days. Diesel is high too at 1.60-1.90 but better then 2.30g which both my vette n lincoln take.

Dont kid yourselfs guys... Check the profits for oil companys. Everybody is on pace to set record breaking profit numbers.

Nysbadmk8 said:
Ive been driving My diesel more then ever these days. Diesel is high too at 1.60-1.90 but better then 2.30g which both my vette n lincoln take.

It seems to me the previous round of price hikes brought diesel up with gas. Now it seems diesel has stabilized while gas prices continue to go higher. It takes over $60 to fuel up my F250 PowerStroke, but it's easily $0.20 per gallon cheaper than gasoline where I live.

Could be worse, last weekend I paid $4.10 per gallon for gas in Maryland...

at the dragstrip! :L

HA!! You think Bush really cares? He comes from an oil family and has super-tight ties with the Saudi family. Bush benefits from high oil prices...

RRocket said:
HA!! You think Bush really cares? He comes from an oil family and has super-tight ties with the Saudi family. Bush benefits from high oil prices...

All the more reason to lower gax taxes --- forget the inccome tax reduction - reduce the gas taxes ---

The saudies and his oil buddies would only see an increase in usage and it would push the whole economy forward - everything is affected by fuel cost.......

WHy wont they? Simple -- the taxes are based on a % -- like sales tax -- so the higher the gas cost goes, the more taxes they take in.

These gas high prices in California are partly do to state pollution laws which result in gas made only for sale in California. However I think it's mostly caused by the fact they can get what they are charging. I live in the east-bay area less than thirty miles from five refineries and pay more for gas than people living way down in Fresno! They know you need it and no one regulates what they can charge. Even worse there are crazy folks out there who think we should be paying higher gas taxes like those poor souls living in europe!!!!!! Go read Al Gores' book, it's scary.

Shortage of refinery capacity is the problem

No new refineries have been built since the 80's. Combine that with the constant increase in drivers, vehicles and overall gas consumption in the past 20 years and you have a limited supply vs. demand. The complex and varying requirements for gas formulation in some areas does affect productivity, but capacity shortage is the real issue.

It really is that simple. Ketchup Kerry was here in Portland this week saying GW should put more pressure on OPEC to increase supply. The nitwit knows that no matter how much oil we import or have in the national reserves, the refineries are producing at capacity already. This problem will only get worse until we, as a nation, either drive less, get better gas mileage or build more refineries. Period!!

Personally, I'll pick the latter.

Removing the gas tax will not reduce demand, so it's not a solution to the supply vs. demand equation. As was stated earlier, either the public concedes to having more refinery capacity built or the problem will only get worse. It's been creeping up on us every summer for the same reason.

:C

Well as bad as prices are at least we still have gas to buy. I don't know how many of you remember the oil embargo when you had to look for gas stations that had gas to sell.

hopefully my electric ranger project is finished by then. :D

Here is "HOW TO GET CHEAP GAS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep telling you guys that the only way to get "CHEAP GAS" is to elect a President that cares more about the working man then the Big oil company's BUT NO you won'ted this one: WHY WHY WHY ???
OK now lets fix it, lets get one that is welling to:
#1. Build one or two "NEW" LARGE REFINERIE'S on Gov. Land (build buy the gov. with tax monie, that way it belongs to the people and NOT to a big company ) !!!
#2. "DOUBLE" the size of the NATIONAL RESERVES to help in holding prices down !!
#3. Put a "CAP" on the gas tax after lowering it by 10% !!
Now if you can do your job of putting in office a Pres. that has the ba**s to do thes 3 things the price of gas will more then likely fall to around $1.25 a Gal. it would have to.
THE POWER IS IN THE VOTE MY FRIENDS, So the next time please listen to me, and DON'T do this to us again !!!!!!!!!! :Bang

Members online

No members online now.
Back