Who else has played with 02 Sensors

seekonkholen1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I tried a search but did not come up with the results I was hoping for. I have a 2004 3.9L LS that runs like a top, with the exception of the CEL P420 code. I had looked for some 02 sensors to try first as they are much cheaper than Cats. One place I checked said there are 2 front ones and two rear ones. They have different part numbers. Another place I checked said they are all the same. I bought 4 of the "all the same" ones but I still have the 420 code. My question is are they in fact different? Has anybody else experienced this? Maybe I do need cats and I am in denial.

Thanks in Advance

Jorge

I tried a search but did not come up with the results I was hoping for. I have a 2004 3.9L LS that runs like a top, with the exception of the CEL P420 code. I had looked for some 02 sensors to try first as they are much cheaper than Cats. One place I checked said there are 2 front ones and two rear ones. They have different part numbers. Another place I checked said they are all the same. I bought 4 of the "all the same" ones but I still have the 420 code. My question is are they in fact different? Has anybody else experienced this? Maybe I do need cats and I am in denial.

Thanks in Advance

Jorge

From what I see there are 4 in the system, two upstream and two downstream but have the same part numbers, Bosch 15716.

They are the same. The different part numbers may have different cable lengths for factory-fit.
Joe may have some hints on the OBD code.

If you've had misfires for an extended period of time, your cats may be ruined.

Thanks for the reply's fellas. I had a misfire situation for a day or two but nothing to severe. It's driving me nuts. The light will occasionally go away then come back. Then it is the same code 420. It may be that I need to bite the bullet and do the Cat but who knows, maybe I am overlooking something. The car runs strong, so I dont think it is clogged.

FWIW the ones I installed were the Bosh ones. Would I have had better luck with the NKG's ? I wonder if they are at the same tolerances.

Maybe there is some testing I can do to verify it is or is not the converter?

FWIW the ones I installed were the Bosh ones. Would I have had better luck with the NKG's ? I wonder if they are at the same tolerances.

Maybe there is some testing I can do to verify it is or is not the converter?

I think you mean NTK, NKG doesn't make anything for our cars(I think). I used NTK in the fronts ant they work fine, dont really know if they are better than bosch because the ones that came off were NTK as well and were working fine.

If you replaced the sensors and the code is still there then it's 90% your cats are out of tolerance. That's not to say they aren't working, just they don't work as well as the computer thinks they should.

Are you in a state that does tailpipe smog tests?

Just a thought, before you bought the O2 sensors you could have switched them side to side. If it is the O2 sensors it would throw a code P0430 instead of the P0420.

I think you mean NTK, NKG doesn't make anything for our cars(I think). I used NTK in the fronts ant they work fine, dont really know if they are better than bosch because the ones that came off were NTK as well and were working fine.

If you replaced the sensors and the code is still there then it's 90% your cats are out of tolerance. That's not to say they aren't working, just they don't work as well as the computer thinks they should.

Are you in a state that does tailpipe smog tests?

I'm not sure if they do, but I am thinking no. When I had my car inspected they just hooked up to the same spot I hook up to scanner. BTW I think you are right about the NTK... I didn't miss it by much lol

Just a thought, before you bought the O2 sensors you could have switched them side to side. If it is the O2 sensors it would throw a code P0430 instead of the P0420.

Unfortunately, I thought of that after I bought and installed the sensor. I really need to spend more time on this site. :)

If it is the O2 sensors it would throw a code P0430 instead of the P0420.

Both P0420 and P0430 are codes for low efficiency of the cats. Bank 1 and bank 2 respectively.

I'm not sure if they do, but I am thinking no. When I had my car inspected they just hooked up to the same spot I hook up to scanner.

Sounds like they do a OBDII smog test. All you have to do in some states is have a computer with no codes. If you want I can PM you some tips on how to fool the O2 sensor so you'll stop getting those codes.

just change the cat, its obviously not the o2 sensors. As far as buying 4 new O2 sensors, why would you do that with p0420 code? You could have changed just the 2, but then again its probably the cat anyway.

just change the cat, its obviously not the o2 sensors. As far as buying 4 new O2 sensors, why would you do that with p0420 code? You could have changed just the 2, but then again its probably the cat anyway.

P0420 is usually the sensor, but you're right, changing all 4 doesn't make sense to solve that code. At it shouldn't hurt anything, if his pre-cat sensors were slowing down then he might get better fuel economy.

If you don't need to pass a tailpipe test than there's much better ways to solve a P0420 or P0430 code that only cost a few $.

Has anybody tried using a non-fouler on an LS. The theory sounds good. Just wondering if it works.

Members online

Back