White smoke.. hoping it's not a headgasket..

ninja jt

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals
I finally finished up with fixing the timing components along with the aluminum cooling tower and have everything all put back together. Went to start it and long story short, dead fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump and she starts up and as far as the timing components go, it sounds great. There is a whine that sounds like an accessory pulley that I need to figure out, but more importantly I have a good amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust and a small amount coming from the passenger side header. Initially I figured it was burning off some of the oil,wd40 and brakleen that I've been using to clean and unfortunately drip in some spots. But after letting it idle for 30 minutes and taking a drive to the end of the block(still needs brakes and tires), it doesn't seem to get any better. I don't seem to have any overheating issues, but I'm not sure if I would see that in the short period of time it was running. From what I've seen on the forum, blown headgaskets are extremely rare. I'm planning on getting one of the test kits for the cooling system to see if exhaust gas is present and hoping it doesn't indicate it's blown. I do have some old gas in the tank that I'm wondering if it has some water in and is causing the steam, but the engine runs so smooth it doesn't quite add up in my mind. Whatever is going through the exhaust is also sitting in the mufflers and dripping out of them. It's essentially clear fluid, maybe a slight yellowish/gold tint to it. The coolant in the cooling tower is more greenish because the shop that did the flush before I got the car used green, I just put in the motorcraft gold a few days ago.
I pulled the spark plugs on the passenger side and put a scope down each one to look for coolant and it looked all clear.
Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I really hope it's not a HG, I'd really like to get this car back on the road soon.

Hey guys and gals
I finally finished up with fixing the timing components along with the aluminum cooling tower and have everything all put back together. Went to start it and long story short, dead fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump and she starts up and as far as the timing components go, it sounds great. There is a whine that sounds like an accessory pulley that I need to figure out, but more importantly I have a good amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust and a small amount coming from the passenger side header. Initially I figured it was burning off some of the oil,wd40 and brakleen that I've been using to clean and unfortunately drip in some spots. But after letting it idle for 30 minutes and taking a drive to the end of the block(still needs brakes and tires), it doesn't seem to get any better. I don't seem to have any overheating issues, but I'm not sure if I would see that in the short period of time it was running. From what I've seen on the forum, blown headgaskets are extremely rare. I'm planning on getting one of the test kits for the cooling system to see if exhaust gas is present and hoping it doesn't indicate it's blown. I do have some old gas in the tank that I'm wondering if it has some water in and is causing the steam, but the engine runs so smooth it doesn't quite add up in my mind. Whatever is going through the exhaust is also sitting in the mufflers and dripping out of them. It's essentially clear fluid, maybe a slight yellowish/gold tint to it. The coolant in the cooling tower is more greenish because the shop that did the flush before I got the car used green, I just put in the motorcraft gold a few days ago.
I pulled the spark plugs on the passenger side and put a scope down each one to look for coolant and it looked all clear.
Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I really hope it's not a HG, I'd really like to get this car back on the road soon.
I just changed all COP’s and plugs on my 2001 V8 LS recently and just like you I saw no coolant or problematic defects in the engine itself ...after changing out the oil the other day I’m seeing the same results your talking about ...a faint smoke coming from passenger side of engine...I also have a faint smell of oil that comes through the vents when driving the car every now and then ...A mechanic told me it could be leaking gasket seal rings ....he also said its common for a car of this age and it won’t hurt anything but I am OCD when it comes to my cars so it’s driving me crazy lol ...Anyway Keep me posted what you find out...As I will do the same

Last edited:
Hey guys and gals
After researching a bit it might be safe to narrow it down to these symptoms There are a few possible sources of this smoke issue ranging from a small exhaust leak to a minor oil leak or fluid leak that is dripping on the exhaust manifold.

I’m going to start by seeing if something is leaking onto the cat exhaust system..... I know I had a catalytic converters code come up awhile ago ....but it disappeared and never came back so I didn’t worry about it...but I should get a new cat regardless ...the car is almost 20 years old...my biggest concern is the burning oil smell....It could be a lot of things....but I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that it is the rear valve cover gasket leaking. The oilleaks out when you shut off the motor, and drips down the back side of the engine, and then on to the exhaustpipe. It usually happens when you first start up the car in the morning. You drive for maybe 2 or 3 miles and if you come to a stop sign you will smell burnt oil, and maybe see some smoke coming from the hood. It's annoying for sure. The real annoying part is that the evidence is destroyed when the exhaust pipe gets hot enough to burn off the oil. It's looks like everything is OK, until the next day when you start it up and the cycle repeats itself.Lincoln LS Repair - Valve Cover Seal Replacement

Last edited:
No more smoke coming from passenger side of engine must have been some oil that needed to be burnt off still very faint smell of burning oil in cab once in awhile but seems to have went away ....like I said I better get some new Cats on this car ....sooner than later

I'll take a look but most of the smoke is coming out of the back of the car and the mufflers are actually dripping

20171222_125945.jpg

20171222_125934.jpg

Well I pumped the tank as empty as I could get it and then added 4.5 gal of some 93 and the smoke is gone! Looks like it was due to excessive moisture in the tank. So happy to see it's gone!!!

Well I pumped the tank as empty as I could get it and then added 4.5 gal of some 93 and the smoke is gone! Looks like it was due to excessive moisture in the tank. So happy to see it's gone!!!
Great to hear! Mine however is back and I’m thinking it’s the gasket ring seals

I followed your lead and filled up my car to full mark due to below temperatures heading our way in a couple days and I don’t see any smoke ....I don’t smell burning oil coming through the vents ....I might have had some moisture in the fuel as well ....Only time will tell, I’m going to buy some of that dryer fluid also and pour it in the tank tomorrow ...sure hope it’s water in gas rather than valve cover gaskets...keeping fingers crossed

I followed your lead and filled up my car to full mark due to below temperatures heading our way in a couple days and I don’t see any smoke ....I don’t smell burning oil coming through the vents ....I might have had some moisture in the fuel as well ....Only time will tell, I’m going to buy some of that dryer fluid also and pour it in the tank tomorrow ...sure hope it’s water in gas rather than valve cover gaskets...keeping fingers crossed

Okay, you are confusing me.
Please answer clearly: Are you talking about smoke from the exhaust, or smoke under the hood?

Okay, you are confusing me.
Please answer clearly: Are you talking about smoke from the exhaust, or smoke under the hood?
I’m seeing smoke under the hood. A faint burnt oil smell is coming through the vents when I have the heater fan on also but as I said I just had the car running for 10 minutes and proceeded to drive around the block with the fan on and I didn’t smell any burning oil through the vents ....not sure if moisture in the fuel system would even manifest such a smoke under hood and burnt oil smell ...I’m doing more wishful thinking than anything I guess....hoping not have to change valve cover gaskets...this car is a pain just to take the first plastic cover off much less the valve cover ...I cringe just thinking of it ...no room in this engine compartment

I’m seeing smoke under the hood. A faint burnt oil smell is coming through the vents when I have the heater fan on also but as I said I just had the car running for 10 minutes and proceeded to drive around the block with the fan on and I didn’t smell any burning oil through the vents ....not sure if moisture in the fuel system would even manifest such a smoke under hood and burnt oil smell ...

No, it can't be fuel related. Think about it. Fuel burns and goes out the exhaust. If it is going to cause any smoke, it will be at the tailpipe, unless you have an exhaust leak.

Smoke under the hood is usually an oil leak that is hitting the exhaust or heads. Almost certainly this will be a valve cover gasket leak. I'm not sure why you are hoping against this. At least it is easy to fix and the gaskets are less than $50 for the complete set.

No, it can't be fuel related. Think about it. Fuel burns and goes out the exhaust. If it is going to cause any smoke, it will be at the tailpipe, unless you have an exhaust leak.

Smoke under the hood is usually an oil leak that is hitting the exhaust or heads. Almost certainly this will be a valve cover gasket leak. I'm not sure why you are hoping against this. At least it is easy to fix and the gaskets are less than $50 for the complete set.
Your point is well taken and you’re right it’s better than the head gasket. I am just disappointed that it didn’t happen before I changed the COP’s and plugs because I had all the components that needed to be disconnected already out of the way...I know, I know woe is me....lol

Just out of curiosity how many miles does the Factory recommendation say you should replace catalytic converters in the LS? The other question if the Catalytic converter is shot would you see smoke under the hood?

Just out of curiosity how many miles does the Factory recommendation say you should replace catalytic converters in the LS? The other question if the Catalytic converter is shot would you see smoke under the hood?

There is no recommendation, and no expectation of failure at any particular time.
No, the converters don't put off smoke under the hood, even when failed.

ninja jt....... I think you're trying to solve a problem that you don' have.
If you have a head gasket issue you would be experiencing 1 of 2 issues,or possibly both on/off.
1. Overheating.....due to the combustion chamber flame being introduced into the cooling system coolant.
There's nothing you can do to keep the temp. down if this happens,the car is going to overheat.
2. A pronounced missed.....this is due to coolant entering the combustion chamber and doing 2 things.
First ....it is putting out the spark from the ignition system so the fuel isn't being burnt,therefore it misses.
Second....the coolant in the cylinder is bumping the compression,along with the now unburnt fuel,and it is hydrolocking that cylinder causing a miss.

If you aren't experiencing either of these issues then I would dare say that you don't need to worry about a headgasket issue.
Your best bet is to throw a compression tester on the engine just to have peace of mind if it's bothering you.

The issue that you are describing is due to 3 things..
1. Moisture in the fuel is being burnt and expelled out of the exhaust....fuel is a moisture magnet and there's nothing you can do to stop it.
You do know that they make a summer and winter blend of fuel right?
2. Moisture in the air is being burnt and expelled out of the exhaust.....air is a moisture magnet and there's nothing you can do to stop it.
3. Moisture that has accumulated in the exhaust system after it cooled down the last time you ran the engine is now being blown out of the exhaust pipes and also burnt causing steam that is being blown out of the exhaust pipes.
Ever look at a muffler or converter? They have little pin holes drilled in them to allow the moisture that condensates after cool down to drain.
It helps keep the water from setting in the exhaust and rusting it out.

I wish I had taken a pic of my driveway this morning when I fired my car up and let it set for about 20 minutes to warm up....it's about 28°F here.
I had a big puddle behind each exhaust pipe and my exhaust was smoking from the water that wasn't blown out being turned into steam.

Drive it....... you're good....

I solved my problem when I drained the tank and refilled with fresh gas. I know that moisture can drip from the exhaust, but it wasn't just moisture, the picture I attached was shows it was more of an oily substance. You can see the water and the oil separated.
The amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust would've made you think it's 4/20. After draining the tank it's back to the normal amount you would expect for 20 degree weather.
Thanks for the feedback though.
Merry Christmas
ninja jt....... I think you're trying to solve a problem that you don' have.
If you have a head gasket issue you would be experiencing 1 of 2 issues,or possibly both on/off.
1. Overheating.....due to the combustion chamber flame being introduced into the cooling system coolant.
There's nothing you can do to keep the temp. down if this happens,the car is going to overheat.
2. A pronounced missed.....this is due to coolant entering the combustion chamber and doing 2 things.
First ....it is putting out the spark from the ignition system so the fuel isn't being burnt,therefore it misses.
Second....the coolant in the cylinder is bumping the compression,along with the now unburnt fuel,and it is hydrolocking that cylinder causing a miss.

If you aren't experiencing either of these issues then I would dare say that you don't need to worry about a headgasket issue.
Your best bet is to throw a compression tester on the engine just to have peace of mind if it's bothering you.

The issue that you are describing is due to 3 things..
1. Moisture in the fuel is being burnt and expelled out of the exhaust....fuel is a moisture magnet and there's nothing you can do to stop it.
You do know that they make a summer and winter blend of fuel right?
2. Moisture in the air is being burnt and expelled out of the exhaust.....air is a moisture magnet and there's nothing you can do to stop it.
3. Moisture that has accumulated in the exhaust system after it cooled down the last time you ran the engine is now being blown out of the exhaust pipes and also burnt causing steam that is being blown out of the exhaust pipes.
Ever look at a muffler or converter? They have little pin holes drilled in them to allow the moisture that condensates after cool down to drain.
It helps keep the water from setting in the exhaust and rusting it out.

I wish I had taken a pic of my driveway this morning when I fired my car up and let it set for about 20 minutes to warm up....it's about 28°F here.
I had a big puddle behind each exhaust pipe and my exhaust was smoking from the water that wasn't blown out being turned into steam.

Drive it....... you're good....

Members online

Back