Whistle from KKM intake

laydbaak

LVC Member
Reaction score
Noobie, just installed KKM intake on 2004 LS V6. During acceleration I hear a high pitched whistle. Is this from the air being sucked in by the intake? Also, the kit came with four grommets which I used as instructed. Could this have left a space between the MAF and the housing which is causing the whistle? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm sure someone with this setup can chime in but on other vehicles I have owned and installed a CAI you will have some additional noise when under hard acceleration.

"just installed KKM intake on 2004 LS V6"

I have it on the V8 and it is definitely louder which I understand is normal. I'm not sure about the "whistle" noise you are hearing.

do you have a radar detector? the reason i ask, is that my radar detector whines a high frequency noise respectively with the speed of the motor..

Noise is coming from under the hood. When I roll the window down and accelerate I can hear it. Started after KKM install. All connections are tight. Did not forget to tighten anything.

Thanks to all those that replied to my post. Did search on "cold air intake whistle" on google and got a ton of hits. Whistle is quite normal with CAI. Even found some sound bites from other installs that feature the whistle. Found threads on KKM, K&N, AEM and a host of other intakes where there was the whistle after installation. Feel better now, besides, I kinda like the sound.

You not hear a whistle sound, but more of a deep howl. I have this setup and it sounds great, very aggresive. Did you install the support brace to the side of the CAI with provided bolt?

Yes, is all installed per the instructions. I am not worried about the sound any more after researching it the last two days. Drove it today and as I said earlier, I like the sound.

Hey! That's what I can hear and that's that I am partically deaf, so my Wife says from all those conserts form the 70's and 80's I went to. Rock and Roll, BABY!!!!!!!!

Its the air rushing past the throttle blade. I only heard it at low RPMs then the engine growl took over soon after.

I think that it might be out of hearing range!

this is normal, i think i also installed the same kkm intake and i too hear that whistle and when i take it to stereo shops, once they hear they whistle they ask if i have an intake... so im guessing its normal for intakes...

Members online

No members online now.
Back