Whining Noise From Right Rear

triniti

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am hearing this whining noise coming from what seems to be the right rear of the car. The sound is faint but gets louder when you get to about 42mph and mellows back out about 60.

Two different mechanics told me that it was a wheel bearing. It sounds like a bad wheel bearing too but I just had it replaced today and I still hear the annoying sound. There's a slight very fast vibration also that is constistent with the volume of the sound.

I had the left rear bearing replaced about 8 months ago. It sounds like a truck tire or something but I bought new tires in September and I just had them rotated about 3 weeks ago.

What could this noise be? An LS shouldn't sound like this and I need to get it fixed. It's driving me nuts.

triniti said:
I am hearing this whining noise coming from what seems to be the right rear of the car. The sound is faint but gets louder when you get to about 42mph and mellows back out about 60.

Two different mechanics told me that it was a wheel bearing. It sounds like a bad wheel bearing too but I just had it replaced today and I still hear the annoying sound. There's a slight very fast vibration also that is constistent with the volume of the sound.

I had the left rear bearing replaced about 8 months ago. It sounds like a truck tire or something but I bought new tires in September and I just had them rotated about 3 weeks ago.

What could this noise be? An LS shouldn't sound like this and I need to get it fixed. It's driving me nuts.

It is probably your rear half-shafts........they have a revised design with a larger diameter which will reduce the noise.

had the same problem.... i just took the tire off, flipped up the caliper and cleaned out all the brake dust, rust and debris. Been fine since. Whenever you hear a squealing sound, its almost always metal on metal!

Having the same problem

I am having this same problem. I not sure what it is. But its not a metal noise from metal on metal from the brakes. Its more like a truck mud tire noise when you excelerate the louder it gets and it kinda goes away when you let off the gas but whenever you give her gas it makes the whining noise again.

Anyone else have sugestions on what to do?

2000 Lincoln LS Rear wheel drive V8 with 120k miles

All the LS cars are rear wheel drive.

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. I had the same symptoms with my 2003 car (the wheel bearings are the same across all LS models). The left one may have gone bad again (FWIW, lots of mechanics complain about Ford wheel bearings, so its not beyond the realm of possibility that the one you had installed 8 months ago went bad again). If its not the wheel bearings, it may be the differential ring gear. I think there were problems with the 2000 cars on that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back