Whine Noise at Low Speeds ( TSB: NHTSA Number: 613857 )

Gomennasai

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Been trying to track down the annoying whine I hear at the beginning of acceleration that is especially found at low speeds from 1 - 25. Sounds almost like a low harmonic humm, but then I came across this TSB.

Anyone have any experience with the below problem? Do I just need to live with the noise?

TSB data for: 2000 LINCOLN LS
Bulletin Number: 00121
Sequence Number: 613857
Date: 20000612
Component Name: 103000 POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Make: LINCOLN
Model: LS
Year: 2000
Summary:
ON SOME VEHICLES, A HIGH PITCHED GEAR WHINE MAY BE HEARD WHILE DRIVING AND / OR COASTING AT LOW SPEEDS IN FIRST OR SECOND GEAR. *TT

Couple of questions to help diagnose your problem (if one exists).

1. What year and engine is your car?
2. Was the sound always present? If yes, then I would assume the TSB is valid and you would probably have to learn to live with it.
3. If no, when did the whine begin happening? Have you recently made any modifications to the car? Any other issues?

Heard that in my old 2000. The dealer replaced a couple of gear sets in the trans. I was assured by the head transmission guy at Lincoln there is no danger of damage, it is just a noise. I don't remember the reason for the whine.....

I have a 2000 Lincoln LS 3.0L. You sometimes won't hear it, and sometimes you do. Hot and cold makes no difference. You generally take more notice to the noise when coming from a stop, but even if you are at 40 mph and let off the gas to slow down and give it -- you occasionally will hear the noise when accelerating.

Where are you hearing the sound, towards the front of the car? directly below you? If its towards the front maybe the tensioner.

Got 4 wheel alignment completed. Noise starting to become more apparent now when car is decelerating also. When I went to check under the hood tonight I had notice a high pitch whistling noise that sounded almost like it from coming from the Throttle Body Area.

The belt tensioner pulley was making no excessive movements, but the pulley furthest right ( left side if you are staring straight at the engine) had a very lite sanding noise which I would believe to be nothing.

No engine lights on at all. I did make sure to bleed the power steering/master to rule out that also.

Correct. Noise was before set of new tires. Was not pursing the noise extremely until I finished making replacing all bushings, tie rod ends, brakes, and rotors were replaced. Finishing it off with a 4 wheel alignment to rule everything else out.

I was listening to the engine after my ride home from work. I will try to see if I can get a video of the sound when sitting in the seat tomorrow, and the whine / whistle noise from the engine bay. Suppose when I get to work tomorrow I can try spraying some starter fluid to check spots for leaky vacuum leak, but the car does not have an idle problem.

When I start it up in the morning it goes up to 2000 / 1800 roughly to warm up and within 30 seconds to a minute max settles down into a solid 800 rpm. When driving and stopped sits at a even 800 also.

When I start it up in the morning it goes up to 2000 / 1800 roughly to warm up and within 30 seconds to a minute max settles down into a solid 800 rpm. When driving and stopped sits at a even 800 also.

This is normal.

Members online

No members online now.
Back