whine from steering

jokken

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

doing a radiator on my 2000 6cyl manual LS.
since I have the fan and shroud out I'm thinking of doing some other work while things are accessible. I didn't actually look yet my I think the power steering pump is something that is very accessible now.

The reason I am interested in changing out the power steering pump is the steering has always made so much noise.
Is this whining from the pump?

I had it changed at 70,000 miles with anther OEM one and the noise was no better. Will a after market (like cardone or other) be quieter do you think?

any other thoughts of what else to change since I'm in there?

thanks

Are you talking about a constant noise that changes with engine RPM, or are you talking about an annoying noise that happens only when the steering wheel is being turned?

Are you talking about a constant noise that changes with engine RPM, or are you talking about an annoying noise that happens only when the steering wheel is being turned?

haha, not the engine
i'm talking about the overly loud whine that happens only when the steering wheel is being turned. I believe it is the p/s pump but didn't want to discount something else in the steering system

Still not clear.
Is it a wine that comes from under the hood when you hold some pressure on the steering wheel, like the sound that you get when you turn the steering wheel to one of the locks and hold it there? This wine would be different at different engine RPM. The engine drives the pump. If it's the pump, the sound will be different at different RPMs.

Or, is it more of a squeak that only happens while the steering wheel is being turned? This would be independent of engine RPM. This would the the intermediate shaft or the rack itself. If it's the rack, it might be made better by adding the friction modifier to the power steering (Mercon V ATF) fluid.

I had that same noise. It got better after a fluid flush from the power steering system, several years ago, but having just changed out the rack with a remanufactured unit, the noise is now barely audible.

Still not clear.
Is it a wine that comes from under the hood when you hold some pressure on the steering wheel, like the sound that you get when you turn the steering wheel to one of the locks and hold it there? This wine would be different at different engine RPM. The engine drives the pump. If it's the pump, the sound will be different at different RPMs.

That's it for me. However, the radio needs to be off or very very soft in order to hear it well. I will hear it best
when I back up into my driveway.

I don't believe it's something to make a big deal of.

sorry, i'll try to clarify. it is the sound that happens as soon as I turn the wheel, even a little, i usually never turn it as far as the locks. I can't say the noise is different at different RPMs though, although I could be wrong. it has always been this way though, i don't think it is something new or getting much worse over time. the rack and power steering pump where changed out 7 years ago with OEM parts and the whine persisted. it is constant while the steering wheel is turning not a brief squeak that occurs at one point in the revolution as the steering wheel...

if it happens to be the pump what are the chances of the aftermarket ones being quieter? it looks like the aftermarkets are all rebuilds anyway (i worry they are really OEM units rebuilt....)

thanks

An aftermarket pump is not likely to help.
If it's only while the steering wheel is in motion, it's not going to be the pump.
The squeak that I mention is a sound that is made anytime the steering wheel is turned, the whole time it is being turned. However, you can stop the steering wheel at any point, and the sound stops then too.
Since you've replaced the rack and that didn't alter it, I would suggest looking at the intermediate shaft. Spray some lube (WD-40 is not lubricant) on the two u-joints of the intermediate shaft and see if that changes anything.

thank you joegr! I will lube the u-joints of the intermediate shaft and see how it sounds, thanks!

Members online

No members online now.
Back