"While you're in there"

04_Sport_LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
As many members on here know... I preach the title of this thread. I recently had a "case in point".

A mechanic replaced a hydraulic control solenoid at some point. Another one next to it was still working, and was left alone.

As time passed... the old solenoid cracked... which allowed for water to enter and cause corrosion, which then caused the solenoid to get hot and shut down intermittently.

This caused down time for the machine... and a mechanic had to take the time to replace a part that should have been replaced the first time.

Fortunately... the part was easily accessible, so not a big deal. However... with todays cars having little/tight access to some parts, it makes going back into a spot to replace something else... a complete PITA considering what parts may have to be re-removed... which could also mean re-replacing other parts.

By now most members on here reading this... are probably thinking about the cooling system (I hope).

IMG_20211031_111036940.jpg

IMG_20211031_115738056.jpg

I just recently explained this maintenance philosophy to a woman and her daughter who had me change an H7 headlight bulb. I had them buy two and I replaced them both that same day, explaining that it makes it easy to worry about it in 2-3 years instead of having the other old bulb go out in a few weeks. We need way less reasons for the law to pull us over and have a blanket pass to zoom in on our lives, and for $10 for a new bulb, it's great insurance. To me it's like, oh, my clutch disc is fried but my throwout bearing and pressure plate still seem good, I'll just change the disc!

Staff online

Members online

Back