Which subs to pick?

Dmaup

94m5 wanna be
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was wondering what subs to choose. I currently have some rockford fosgate 10's in the trunk and they sound good but I kind of want something better. I was looking at Mtx Thunder 5500's in tens or thinking about spending the extra and getting jl's. Just looking for some input to see if the jl's are worth the extra money. Thanks in advance

Dmaup

thanks man. I think I'm gonna get the mtx one's when they go on sale for memorial day weekend

if it was me, in the market for a subwoofer, i would either buy the new Kicker Solobaric L7 or JL W7. i have heard some 2, 12 inch, mtx that actually impressed me though. i honestly like audiobahn also, but you have to be careful not to over power them for prolonged amount of time. out of all the pioneers i heard, only one actually was "loud". i have owned pioneer, audiobahn, and kicker, and i only got better with age haha. the reason i choose the kicker l7 may be because i'm biased since i have one, and the reason i choose the jl w7 is because my friend has one and i can hear the bass from his truck when hes 3 blocks over and down that street another 4 blocks or so. plus i don't support bass if its not gonna have loud potential, hope this helps

*all subs mentioned have been heard in person with correct power

i apologize for knocking these products but in my opinion jl and audiobahn are over priced and over rated, to me the w7 sounds sloppy in every car i've heard one in, audiobahn is just 10 lbs. of chrome if you ask me, i'll stick with DD, great customer service, i havent heard any mtx's personally, but i've heard they are loud, i would'nt get one, just too common for me, and bein heard 7 blocks away isnt all that biga deal, i can be heard that far away easily.

Audiobahn amps and subs are week all that chrome does not dispense heat at all and thats where they go bad other than being very cheaply made.

I have 2 10inch Jlw6 with a 500/1 amp and it hits hard and my box is just a store bought one. The bass is set at 3 and my stereo goes up to 15 but thats just too much bass for me. I have had them for about a year and have never had a problem with them.

I would check my price range, find the specs for the speaker and get the measurements for the box. then build it your self. The right box setup makes all the difference in the world. We put a 13w7 with a extant 1000, with a home built sledge hammer box in my friends escalade and just one pounded, and my version of pounded is suck the hat off your head, make you breath funny. Pretty much any sub put in the right box for the application will sound good, just make sure you don't over power it. imo I would go with 12's

I would also check around on alot of car audio boards for reviews and see what others have found out with different subs. Remember that its not always the sub that makes a difference but the box it is in and the amp that is powering it.

I agree... just check around... all name brands are pretty good... just get them from a reputable place... that way you know they're not some crappy line of them... but I'd also go with 12's... the trunks are pretty well insulated the 12's would pass through a lot easier.

I really like rockford fosgate. Their amps are underrated and their speakers are great quality.
The POWER line of amps are awesome. Also for subs, higher stage PUNCH line and POWER line are great too.
I went with a power amp and two 12" stage 3 punch's. AWESOME sound.
Of course there are many other brands that sound great too, just my .02

Members online

No members online now.
Back