Which scanner for 99 conti?

Danglerb

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought a cheap $40 OBDII scanner from Harbor Freight, works great to read the codes and turn off the MIL, but I think I need something more advanced to run the KOEO and KOER self tests. Two that come up in searches are Equus 3120 and 3140, but it sounds like maybe only OBDI cars support those tests?

I bought a $40 code scanner from HF, worked fine to detect codes and clear the light, but I wanted to know more so I bought a USB adapter for my laptop, $45 shipped from Cresent (amazon and ebay). The Cresent comes with demo and freeware software, so I downloaded that directly from Easy Obd.

A bit of fiddling to install the drivers etc., but maybe 20 minutes and I was talking to the car. I didn't read any of the instructions, so I was just pushing buttons to see what happens.

Cleared the trouble codes and light, but monitoring while the engine is running was showing O2 stuck at rich+, and running closed loop with a fault, and some times running open loop. I kept looking and noticed intake charge temperature as 131F. Guessing I found the problem, bad sensor. Scanners well worth the price.

131F sounded nuts to me, but apparently is perfectly normal for lower engine loads and not much air moving through. $15 sensor did zip.

I played with the scanner some more, never figured out the trick to running the KOEO or KOER tests, but finally did notice that the tests the car does automatically, all completed except evaporative emissions.

I pulled the MAF and air tube to the throttle off, and started looking hard with a flashlight for anything suspicious. Vacuum fitting to the intake looked a little loose so I pulled it all the way off, and seated it back down tight. Reached over for the 90 degree elbow fitting that goes to the PVC, and it was rotten mush with a pencil sized hole.

Did some online searches, and PVC 90 degree and stalling gave several hits, so its common failure. Found some stories of people paying the dealer $1k to sort out a stalling issue and turns out to be this $22 part. Ford was out of stock on the whole freaking west coast, so still waiting on new part to show up, but a GMC PVC tube from Kragen looked like it would fit, and it did. No more codes.

On the road again ....

Members online

No members online now.
Back