Which motors will fit?

Alien

LVC Member
Reaction score
Will any 5.4 from a ford truck or navigator bolt up to a 96 town car without modification? Or only certain years? Can I keep the stock transmission? How about a 4.6 from a Lincoln Mark?

Hi Alien,

I think that any SOHC 5.4 will fit in using the original engine mounts. And actually with a heavier Town Car a higher torque 5.4 will be a nice upgrade. There are several versions of that engine and the truck ones are quite a bit heavier, but that's more than offset by the extra low end grunt. There are a number of things which you will want to verify first. One is the fuel feed ensuring it is a return system and not a later returnless one (the case in the DOHC 4.6 engines). Also the wiring harnesses and engine computers might be different, meaning more mods than one bargained for. Exhaust manifolds will also be something to contend with. Others well know more about which years will or won't work. You can also post this question at Crownvic.net where there are lots of guys scouting new thread who will be able to give you quite a bit more precise info. If I were to swap engines in my Town Car it would be for a 5.4.

Vic

Members online

No members online now.
Back