Which Coil packs to buy?

Pretty sure the "P" series is the same as the "T" series Standard Motor Products version. Might want to make sure O'Reilly's Lifetimes the P series. I know the regular E418's are lifetime. Plus I suspect the P series might be foreign made.

Right on the product description: Limited Lifetime Warranty. Limited refers to the warranty applying to the original purchaser. Feel free to check it out:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...l/e418p/2597312/2002/lincoln/ls?q=e418p&pos=0

Also, I am not too sure about the Standard Motor Products T series but BWD did tell me over the phone that the only difference between the E418 and E418P is the warranty from BWD. Other than that it is the exact same part. It's $48-$52 on other part store websites. This is either a real good find or a pricing mistake and they won't be this price for long.

Last edited:
The fact that BW warranties them differently,,, tells me they are built differently. O'Reilly's may warranty them both the same,,, but I'll bet your replacing the "P" series more often. Could even be that they emit more RFI, like other cheaper coils that cause problems with other parts of the LS electronics.

Would you feel different if I paid the $48 at another store for the same part number instead of $20 at O'Reilly's? That's what some other stores are charging. In fact, that's what I paid for one of them when I had a bad misfire.

Due to the fact that I've called BWD directly and they have confirmed that they are the exact same part I am willing to take my chances.

Last edited:
Fine then. Try this. Buy one of each. I'll bet the 418 box says "Made in USA"... and the 418P box says "Made in China/Mexico". Beyond not supporting American jobs,,, I'll bet the China/Mexico uses inferior materials... even though they are "built" the same.

I'm done.

Box specifically states Made in the United States. So, it looks like I am supporting American jobs.

We can agree to disagree on this one.

MisterRoy,

I owe you an apology. I have recently suffered a personal loss, while at the same time someone else in my life is being combative. I guess that bled over into this thread. I am sorry.

If you can get the same coil for $30 less, then go for it. However, my reasonably long life experience has taught me that 99% of the time, most great deals are too good to be true. I hope it works out for you.

MisterRoy,

I owe you an apology. I have recently suffered a personal loss, while at the same time someone else in my life is being combative. I guess that bled over into this thread. I am sorry.

If you can get the same coil for $30 less, then go for it. However, my reasonably long life experience has taught me that 99% of the time, most great deals are too good to be true. I hope it works out for you.
Apology accepted. I am sorry for your loss and I hope things calm down with the other things going on.
As far as if things are too good to be true, it usually is, I have found the same in life. I did my best diligence on this. I also hope it works out.

So far, the mechanical aspects of making these fit seems to be left out of the discussion...

Sorry to have not replied to your comment. The Mustang/Accel boots have a 'collar' on them that seals each well very nicely. I used stainless button-head screws to hold them to the top edge of the cam cover. One simply pushes the coils over to be able to start the screw. There is a slight degree of angle involved but it works very well. Just don't tighten the attaching screw too much.

The only purpose of the screw is to obviate a bit of possible vibration. I believe the boot/spring gives more than enough support. A full length plug wire from a front-mounted distributor undoubtedly weighs more than the C-O-P construct.

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back