Which ball joint

dnce0589

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
hey guys i have been having probs with my Lincoln i had a lower ball joint replaced about 2 months ago because i herd a dry squeaking sound when i made small corrections dirving and sometimes when i hit a bump. now the same sound is back, i took the ls to the guy who did it the 1st time and now he cant tell if its the lower or upper ball joint. So then i went to Firestone and they cant tell wich one it is either but they did lube all joints struts n stuff on the side that is causing problems. What do u guys think should b my next step, go to a lincoln dealership and get charged about 100 dollars for a diag or just replace both ball joints

There normally aren't any lube points....... Aftermarket sway bar links and tie rod ends tend to have zerks, but those aren't very likely to cause that kind of sound.

It's most likely the lower, but no way to tell without disassembly - and even then sometimes they seem fine on the bench! My uppers looked absolutely terrible but still work just fine.

Set your parking brake, jack up the front of the car, support with jack stands, have someone put a 2x4 umder a wheel and move the wheel up and down while you listen for squeeks. Using a stethoscope helps to hear the grinding in the joints. It could be control arm bushings or tie rods too. Maybe even stabilizer bar end links

hey guys i have been having probs with my Lincoln i had a lower ball joint replaced about 2 months ago because i herd a dry squeaking sound when i made small corrections dirving and sometimes when i hit a bump. now the same sound is back, i took the ls to the guy who did it the 1st time and now he cant tell if its the lower or upper ball joint. So then i went to Firestone and they cant tell wich one it is either but they did lube all joints struts n stuff on the side that is causing problems. What do u guys think should b my next step, go to a lincoln dealership and get charged about 100 dollars for a diag or just replace both ball joints

Most likely the lower. They tend to go first. If you only had one ball joint replaced on one side, its probably the other side failing now, because they wear down at the same rate, so if you only had one lower replaced, the other side is probably bad as well.

If you jack the car and take a pry bar to the ball joint, push down to see if there is any play. There should basically be none.

Also, go onto the driver side corner of the car, press down hard a few times, see if you hear squeaking.

Do the same on the other side.

And get replaced ASAP, you do NOT want a ball joint to fail on you while driving, very unsafe and you could wreck your car and cost yourself a lot more money.

Members online

No members online now.
Back