Wheres the ECU

Bud Badiali

LVC Member
Reaction score
New at this and getting a trial by fire. Sons cart 88 Mk VII LSC was running fine til he had a stereo put in. Shortly thereafter engine began stalling at idle then surging and hunting when re-started missing and skipping at high idle. "MEchanic so far has replaced IAC, DIstributor module couple other things before he gave up because of expense. Think this is a cold start problem. WE got it hot and ran OK while hot. THen when cooled off and started briefly then wouldnt start at all. Got CANP relay codd briefly and "lean limit reached" Then No codes now at all just constant light.

CAN I get the ECU tested out of car?

I want to test the system wiring pin by pin by the at the ECU.

First question: WHere is it?

The ECU isn't the problem. Pull codes, it's probably a combination of the stereo overworking the charging system and a dirt EGR and IAC. Also check out the charging system and make sure it is up to snuff.

JoshMcMadMac said:
The ECU isn't the problem. Pull codes, it's probably a combination of the stereo overworking the charging system and a dirt EGR and IAC. Also check out the charging system and make sure it is up to snuff.

WOnt start now. Cant get codes, wont respond. light stays on. MEasured a few things today . No 5.0 V ref voltage. or appears breifly and disappears on DVOM

Stereo is only a 40 watt Alpine head unit. installer probly caused the problem, now damage done which is looking like ECU. Meathead left off the back insulator on the OE radio power plug exposing all terminals then stuffed in dash. Probably arced to ground at some point.

Stereo 12v and mem was piggy-tabbed into 2 of the 3 ECU fuses, all of which found blown today. REplaced fuses, no change but did not blow again. Really think its the comp now.

Checked pin by pin wiring for faults. Nothing remarkable. No opens no shorts, got readings from all sensors . Think cheapest test is used ECU for 35 bucks.

ANy other ideas?

Found The Ecu!!!!and The Problems!!

What an education I've had in the past 2 weeks on EEC-IV

HEy guess what! Computers do go bad.. but usually caused by something else feeding crap back. In my case Bad Wiring.

THe computer is buried in the right front kickpanel and strapped to the metal behind.. 60 wires. plastic capped connector w 10mm hex bolted to ECU HAd to disconnect it to get it down. ORig comp would not do self test. NEw comp (used 35 bucks) had no codes cuz no history but it did self test and ultimately work.

Heres what I found. After 20 different tries. and 2 weeks.

Set out to check ALL leads from ECU plug to sensors. found 3 bad/weak grounds ganged at battery. Cleaned and re terminated THen found a shorted lead to CANP solenoid. Also found intermittent 5 v at TPS and also at IAC solenoid . Plugs to both were not carrying clean so I cleaned terminals and jumpered one. But still not right so I traced wiring back along engine cables.

I Peeled back the factory wrapping and found the OEM Sig return gang splice (3 welded wires) had rubbed its way thru the insulation of the feed wires adjacent to them inside the cable wrap. Then found similar situation with gang splices on distributor wires going thru same area. Sometimes I would have a PIP sometimes not. Checked module and Hall switch in dist to be OK. AS it turned out some ass had caught the cable under the manifold and crushed it against the valve cover along with one engine harness plug!.Over time it just worked its way thru and shorted , at first intermittently, then allthe way thru for good. I thik this is what got the computer too.

I separated all wires taped them off and and re -wrapped. THen I found that the 2 round engine harness plugs weren't carrying signal reliably either (wiggle test. I screwed with them but couldny make them clean so I finally just cut them out completely and but spliced each of the wires together. and shrink wrapoped them. THis eliminated 3 weak areas per wire inthat plug alone. (about 15 wires. CHecked continuity again Finally got nice clean signals on all wires to and from the ECU.

After about 30 hours trial and error finally got a kick. But spenty another 2 days before I figured out that the spark plugs were gas fouled from trying to start so much, and tho I had spark it was a bit yellow, so I checked and found a borderline primary in the coil.

Replaced spark plugs and coil today. VROOOOOM Halla -f'riggin - lu - yahh.!!

Highly recommend Book "FORD FUEL INJECTION& ELECTRONIC ENGINE CONTROL by Charles O PRobst. TElls all tales in great details about 1988 thru 1993 systems.

PRobly saved about 3 grand . Though I dont have much hair left.

Anybody else have this much fun???

Bud Badiali said:
What an education I've had in the past 2 weeks on EEC-IV
OMG.

Welcome to the Wonderful World Of Mark VIIs. Also, welcome to folowing up behind people that know just enough to completely fobar your car.

Pinched wires = frustration

Unless I'd traced bundles by hand, I would NOT have found the pinch. That's got to be the most extensive trace job (other replacing harnesses) that I've ever read. If I had a wiring nightmare trophy, I'd give it to you in a heart beat. Honestly though, from the begining of your post, I was ready to blame it on chopped wires for the radio. Our Mark VIIs HATE it when not done properly. The foolproof way is the wire harness adaptor. But to find wires jammed together an not terminaled is plain ... grounds for an ass whoopin.

Congratulations on the end result and thank you thank you thank you for sharing the experience with us!

John "Trace-What?" Dancy

Members online

No members online now.
Back