Where To Get a Replacement JBL Subwoofer

JDSCOTT69

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to keep my 97 Jack Nichalos TC to factory specification. Where can I obtain a JBL subwoofer that will not require any change to the factory deck or amp? Are there published specs on this sub?

well idk where you can get a factory sub except to keep an eye on ebay however what i did to my 96 sig was a simple fix go to any sound system place that sells jl audio and ask for an 8 inch sub woofer once you get it instal is simple just take down the woofer box and take out the screws pull out the old woofer but their is a plastic ring on top of the old woofer you need to pry it off put it on top of the new woofer if you dont the speaker will not have enough clearance to do its job IT WILL RATTLE UNLESS YOU DO THIS! do your connections put it in the box and seal it. reinstall the box it will sit about a half inch lower than it was it does not affect anything spare tire will sit fine. your sound system will sound like it did new if not better you will be the only one that knows your secrit
have fun:dancefool

If all it is is just the foam surrounding the speaker, don't wasted your good money buying a NEW or even USED replacement sub woofer and amp, just do what I did. Fix whats broken.
There are 4-1/2" nuts holding it above the spare. Remove them, unplug the amp and take it out being careful not to damage the foam ring on top of the speaker. Take off all the other foam padding covering the speaker and remove the four screws holding the speaker.
Next go to Google and do a search for 'speaker repair kits'. I found Speakerworks and spent $13.62 including tax and shipping and the speaker works fine.
It took me about an hour to removing speaker, fixing crack and installing. Not counting letting it sit overnight for the glue to dry.

lincolnjlincoln2, are you sure you can squeeze an 8 inch unit into that hole designed for a 6.5 inch? I have a 96 TC and the stock has desintigrated. I was looking to replace it. Could you provide a picture of your install so i can see how you did it?
TIA

Update:
I got the 8.5 in and working. I had to dremel out the bottom of the enclosure, but a piece of extra stiff tupperware and fiberglass made short work of that. Kicks nicely and doesnt rattle the trunk in the slightest. I installed a new amplifier in where the stock was. For whoever is interested, the input lines from the head unit to the stock amplifier are signal level and not speaker level.

Amp specs.

I hope noone minds this question, its sort of on topic. What are the specs of the factory amp. I have a 98 TC but I'm assuming its the same sound setup as the older TCs.

you guys might want to look up soem of the stuff DAYTON audio has they are sold exclusivly through parts express

As this is an old thread, I'd like to recommend your nearest boneyard for JBL speakers and amps for The TC. For the subwoofer, the 6.5 inch JBL can be found in The Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition. (4 screws at 12/15/30/ and 45) You may also find the same in The Crown Vic LX...(look for leather seats!)

yes the jl audio works fine. the biggest problem with town car sound system is the way it is set up makes it almos impossible to upgrade it without completely updating it eg. new radio amps rewire speakers etc unless you have big bucks or good connections your best off leaving well enough alone.

Members online

No members online now.
Back