Where to buy coils/Which to buy?

lsondubz

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well from my other thread I am posting this..I have had my LS for about 2-3 months...So far replaced the Plugs with Denso Iridiums and almost all the wells were dry except for a little bit of oil in one of them which if I can remember right is the same one as the cylinder misfiring (Code P0301 Misfire Cyl #1) I am wondering if I should replace the valve cover gasket while I am going to do the coil? I need to replace at least the #1 should I do more? But what coils does everyone recommend? I went to checker and found a few but thought that the OEM Motorcrafts would be the way to go...I found this:
MOTORCRAFT DG490 (Replaced by: DG499) (Same as MTCDG499) $26.03
MOTORCRAFT DG499 (Replaced by: DG509) $29.25
MOTORCRAFT DG509 (Replaced by: DG515) (Same as: MTCDG499) $50.07
Which ones should I get?
Checker had this:
Niehoff Ignition FF187 : 49.99
GP Sorensen GC448 $50.99
GP Sorensen GC456
Supercedes GC448; $63.99

lsondubz said:
Well from my other thread I am posting this..I have had my LS for about 2-3 months...So far replaced the Plugs with Denso Iridiums and almost all the wells were dry except for a little bit of oil in one of them which if I can remember right is the same one as the cylinder misfiring (Code P0301 Misfire Cyl #1) I am wondering if I should replace the valve cover gasket while I am going to do the coil? I need to replace at least the #1 should I do more? But what coils does everyone recommend? I went to checker and found a few but thought that the OEM Motorcrafts would be the way to go...I found this:
MOTORCRAFT DG490 (Replaced by: DG499) (Same as MTCDG499) $26.03
MOTORCRAFT DG499 (Replaced by: DG509) $29.25
MOTORCRAFT DG509 (Replaced by: DG515) (Same as: MTCDG499) $50.07
Which ones should I get?
Checker had this:
Niehoff Ignition FF187 : 49.99
GP Sorensen GC448 $50.99
GP Sorensen GC456
Supercedes GC448; $63.99

A little bit of oil will not always cause a coil to misfire. Heat is more of a culprit in most cases. If you have checked all your plug wells and only found a little oil in one of them, don't worry about your VC gaskets unless you plan on changing to, or are already using, synthetic oil.

If you can get those Motorcraft coils for those prices, buy them and change out all your coils. Keep the 7 originals that were still working as spares. Where did you get those prices? They seem very very inexpensive. Last time I checked through Ford or Autozone, they wanted $109 each!?

Only one well had a very small amount of oil in it, so I am going to see what it costs to get the VC gasket changed...As for the coils which part # would I want to use?? I will find out the site again...

My guess is that a shop will charge you a couple hundred for the VC gaskets. If they don't do them right, they could leak more than your current situation.

The part numbers for the COP's supercede each other, so you may not be able to find the older or first one's since they've been updated, and updated again. I called a dealer once to order a few COP's and they started with one number at $50 and it had been updated three times... final price for the new updated part was over $100... for one COP. Some places have the older part numbers still laying around and you may be able to find them. Just don't expect them to last as long.

I searched for the Neihoff one... no store could find/order it even though they listed it as a valid part number... go figure. The GP Sorensen part numbers sound like NAPA numbers... again, even though they show a part number, they may not be able to order them. Might be stuck with either Motorcraft through a dealer or Wells through Autozone.

So your saying to leave the VC Gasket alone? There was only one well that had VERY little oil in it not soaked or much at all...As for the coils I got these prices off of oehq.com They listed all 3 for the LS I just didnt know which ones I should try to order or what the best ones to get are, If I could get the ones for cheaper I might just swap them all out even though I only have a misfire on cyl#1 I also found these on ebay:
Lincoln Coils

They are the DG490s, but did they revise these or are they the originals from our cars? Would it be ok to put these in, or would they go bad again?

All those coils listed on OEHQ.com are special order... chances are they won't be able to get them. When they update a part, it gets a new part number, and so on and so forth for every update. Every one of those part numbers will work, but being able to get them is another story. As the older numbers are outdated, they are more difficult to find. The newer part numbers will generally cost more too. Any electrical part could potentially go bad. Try either fordpartsnetwork.com or signaturelm.com and see what they have for parts/prices.

If you have the slightest bit of oil in one plug well, I personally would not be looking to change the VC gaskets. Keep an eye on the oil in the wells and when it gets worse, go for the replacement.

The cheapest so far is
The ebay ones are $39.99
Fordpartsnetwork $84.00
Signature LM $45 (I think)
,So you think I should just opt for the cheapest ones which would be the DG490??

Just got it with 69k now about 71k want to keep it for a little while I love this car...

lsondubz said:
Just got it with 69k now about 71k want to keep it for a little while I love this car...

I can only assume this is a V-8.

2W4Z-12029-BC (DG-209) has been replaced by 2W4Z-12029-BD (DG-515).
List $100.00 Regular Inet $75.00 LvC $60.00 each, plus free S&H.

BTW, good luck trying to find those old part #'s. Below is a list of dealers that have thr original part # in stock. These are the last of the last.

120298.jpg

Would it be bad to mix them...If I have 7 other ones and one 515? The other guy I was dealing with on the net has some of the old ones for 39.99,so should I just do that? Help...

All I can tell you is that the original will work fine. But remember, that Ford only changes a part # after some type of modification to the original design. Example would be that if the coils were fine in the first place, they never would have superceded the first part #. So they may have added some rubber insualtion to seal better, or changed the material it is made from, it could be one of many different things. But the newer part # is probably a better one to get.

It's all up to you.

I just went ahead and ordered the original coil...got it for 37 shipped...It should work its worth a try for that price...

Members online

No members online now.
Back