Where is the Drivers side park brake adjuster!!!!!

Bizw0z UK

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Im stuck, and so will my brake drum if I cant get some enlightenment from you guys.

I had to change my brake shoes this weekend. Passenger side was fine, loosened the spring on the parking brake, changed the shoes, reassembled. LOVELY.

Drivers side went fine too UNTIL I tried to get the drum back on. I cannot get the parking brake cable loose enough to free the brakes and so the drum wont go back over the new shoes.

I have looked everywhere to find the adjuster to slacken this side off but I cannot find it. I may end up putting the old shoes back at this rate, they do have mileage left in them but it seems a shame.

The Car 1998 LTC Limousine.

Any advice greatly appreciated guys

Bryan

do you have disc in the rear with the brake shoes for the E-brake,
or just drums in the back?

Just drums matey.

I seem to have 1 solid wire going front to drivers side rear, then a second sprung cable going off to the passenger rear. I could loosen the sprung one easily but the other!!!!!

Have to take my bosch sander up the yard with me ;-)

cheers for replying

The problem isn't with the parking brake, its the adjuster for the brake itself. Check the attached photo. If your drum won't fit, either you have forgotten to adjust this screw or if you have adjusted the screw and it won't turn anymore there is too much corrosion on it and you need to replace it. Whatever you undid on the other side of the car, it is best you redo it and set the adjuster on the brake itself correctly, otherwise it could go beyond its adjustability, at which time the mechanism in your brake would fall apart, and we all know how horrible that can be.

drum-brake8.jpg

Thanks abe,

Yeah, I would the adjuster above right in and it still wouldnt go over. I wonder if the shoes were a few thou over spec.

solution was.... facemask, dremel with grinding stone, lots of dust and trial and error (with a bit of kicking the drum)

You will all be cringing now, (HE DID WHAT) but it worked, brakes are fine too but they did run a little warm to start ;-)

SCARY BRITS

Members online

Back