Where is the door keypad code?

WS6HUMMER

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I had a 96 explorer once and found it printed on the security module but I did a search for my 03 LS and am getting a few different ideas. Does anyone know for sure where this code is located at?

should be on the drivers door module. Located, behind the drivers door panal.

Only place it would be.

The dealer can get it for you, but will probably charge you to do it.

There should be a card in the owners manual with the number but if you dont have that and dont want to go to the dealer you will have to pull the drivers door panal off and see if it is on there.

Jay

If you don't have a manual, you can save yourself a trip to the dealership by punching in random numbers until it opens. :)

WS6HUMMER said:
I had a 96 explorer once and found it printed on the security module but I did a search for my 03 LS and am getting a few different ideas. Does anyone know for sure where this code is located at?

As I've posted before, I've never heard of anyone finding this code on a computer module in the door or anywhere else in the car. Your best bet is to have the dealer get it from the internal electronics.

lexmarkz00 said:
If you don't have a manual, you can save yourself a trip to the dealership by punching in random numbers until it opens. :)
genius!

My 90 TC, 95 Mark and 98 Mark all had the codes printed on a white tag on the passenger side trunk hinge.

Frat-man-du said:
My 90 TC, 95 Mark and 98 Mark all had the codes printed on a white tag on the passenger side trunk hinge.

Ford has gone away from that. No one has found one there in a long time now.

lexmarkz00 said:

Let's see... The code has 5 digits, the key pad has 5 buttons. That means that there are 5^5 different combinations for that number (that is 3,125)! The car's computer will temporarily disable the key pad for one minute after several incorrect combinations are entered (page 149 of the manual). Let's just say that you could enter one combination every 30 seconds and use the remote entry to override the temporary keypad disable function, it would take you 26 hours to enter that many combinations. Granted it is highly unlikely that you would need to enter every combination before you found the right one. But even then who would spend an entire day entering numbers at the key pad of your car when you could simply go to the dealer, pay him $30, and have the code.
The key code was not located on the computer module in my car... I have looked.

Just my 2¢

n8

LincolnTech38 said:
should be on the drivers door module. Located, behind the drivers door panal.

Only place it would be.

The dealer can get it for you, but will probably charge you to do it.

There should be a card in the owners manual with the number but if you dont have that and dont want to go to the dealer you will have to pull the drivers door panal off and see if it is on there.

Jay

I pulled the master window switch out of the door and you can see the DDM but there arent any 5 didgit # combinations printed on the module, only alpha-numeric part numbers.

ToddG said:
As I've posted before, I've never heard of anyone finding this code on a computer module in the door or anywhere else in the car. Your best bet is to have the dealer get it from the internal electronics.

I'm affraid you're going to be right, I just dont want to get reemed by the dealer.

Frat-man-du said:

I did everything everyone said including your suggestion, and on the LS there's no tag there unfortunatly.

lexmarkz00 said:

Yep I got tired of doing that after the 3rd try lol!:D

2001LS8Sport said:
Ford has gone away from that. No one has found one there in a long time now.

I wonder when they stopped? I just checked a co-worker's 2000 TC and it is still there. Figures FOMOCO would stop - makes too much sense to keep it.

Frat-man-du said:
I wonder when they stopped? I just checked a co-worker's 2000 TC and it is still there. Figures FOMOCO would stop - makes too much sense to keep it.

I wish they would still do it that way, sure would make my life easier.

And if you don't like paying the dealer to read a code. Just wait til you lose your last key.

If you only have one key and lose it, you will have to be towed to the dealer who will then gladly charge you a LOT of money to make new keys, just because they are "Special". The manual even tells you that you are going to get reamed. I think to make new keys when you have none costs something like a few hundred dollars. Could be worse, I hear Volvos, another Ford product, costs something like $1,000 per key.

If you only have one key, you still have to go to the dealer to get a copy made since you need two keys before you can make and program other keys. I have heard a few key shops can do this, but it isn't common.

SO always make sure you have at least 2 keys and 3 is better, so you can lose one. You can program and make a new key if you already have two. If you have one the dealer has to do it and will charge a good chunk o change. If you lose your last key, you get towed and then reamed.

Wish I had my code so I could just use the keypad if I lock myself out. Right now I have to go home and get my spare key fob if this happens. If I lose my last key, read the above.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Damn straight, my evil step mother's 2005 volvo was $1100 to get new keys and the computer reprogrammed - had to wait two weeks for the dealer to get the software upgrade at the shop to do the work. ncludes the tow from the airport.

What she gets for putting all three keys in the same peice of luggage (which was lost by Delta).

I'm not sure what it's called, but when I had the remote start put into my Mark, they put a key into some sort of a box with coils around it which in turn hooked up to something or other. Now I can start my mark with any key as long as the key has the right cut on it.

I don't see why that wouldn't work on an LS, thus saving lots of $$ on key reprogramming.

It would probably work, but why would you want to defeat the security system? :confused:

Keys

The Mark is real OLD technology!! The LS is completely unlike the old Mark VIII. You are now fighting the PATS. I have a aftermarket remote start on my 2003 LS. They are available but at a MUCH higher price.
I was not charged anything to retrieve the keypad code. This is the only way to get the code. No stickers or marking of any kind!

If you lose a key DO NOT buy one from the dealer. The proper key blanks are on Ebay for much cheaper. Now I don't know anywhere except the dealer to get the keys reprogrammed?

I wonder if you have the XCAL2 can you retrieve the keypad code? You can pull trouble codes and data log so maybe? Does anybody know?

Umm. IIRC my Mark has the PATS II system. Real old technology.... :rolleyes:

I don't think you can pull the codes with an Xcal2. Now if you had an NGS Tester... Though I don't know if a CAN NGS Tester could pull them on the LS, seeing how it's such new PATS technology....

Frogman said:
Umm. IIRC my Mark has the PATS II system. Real old technology.... :rolleyes:
I'm not positive, but I think PATS II was introduced in '99 (my Explorer has it), after the Mark VIII was discontinued.

Could be. I remember something about needing at least two keys to program a third key on the 98's, as opposed to only one on previous years. Either way, it does have PATS, so it's not really that "old" of tech. Remember guys, most of the tech stuff you have on your LS's, we've had on our marks for at least a few years before you did. :lol:

Members online

No members online now.
Back