Where is the computer in the LS?

mdrobnak

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...I just recently got a 2000 Lincoln LS V8, and I'm pretty happy with it so far...I have purchased stuff to tune my car (see if I can get some more HP and drivability out of the car..though it's pretty good from the factory), but I need to know the computer "catch code" ... usually there is a sticker indicating this on the passenger door of the car, but I can't find a sticker on this car...so I need to look on the computer itself...I know in the Mustang it's located in the passenger kick panel near the door...Any ideas where it is on the LS, before I start exploring?

Also, anything else to look out for in the 2000 model?

Thanks,
-Matt

mdrobnak said:
Hi everyone...I just recently got a 2000 Lincoln LS V8, and I'm pretty happy with it so far...I have purchased stuff to tune my car (see if I can get some more HP and drivability out of the car..though it's pretty good from the factory), but I need to know the computer "catch code" ... usually there is a sticker indicating this on the passenger door of the car, but I can't find a sticker on this car...so I need to look on the computer itself...I know in the Mustang it's located in the passenger kick panel near the door...Any ideas where it is on the LS, before I start exploring?

Also, anything else to look out for in the 2000 model?

Thanks,
-Matt
I don't know much about the 00 but my 03's computer is under the dash and behind the glove box. There has only recently been anyone who had cracked the LS PCM code for power tuning, AFAIK http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/sct1-X.html is the current leader in that area on the LS. Torrie has done a lot of work making up tunning curves.

George:L

Thanks for the help George...Will look there in a few mins.

-Matt

P.S. I know...I'm an SCT dealer. ;-) I'm going to be trying it out...if enough people are interested, I'll get the package from SCT, right now it's a personal license for one car...I'll let you guys know how much control I have on the 00 LS vs the other cars I can do (Mustangs, including the 05!).

Ok, I've been told the computer is wedge-shaped object....by opening up the glove compartment, and taking out the plastic piece, i can see there's something underneath the cd player...by taking off the bottom plastic panel underneath, I can see the bottom of the computer...here's the problem...i need to see where the connector is, I'm looking for the computer code (4 character sequence, like for example YDH1 for an 03 Cobra), anyone know their code, or the code that the TSB for the transmission is?

Thanks,
-Matt

mdrobnak said:
Ok, I've been told the computer is wedge-shaped object....by opening up the glove compartment, and taking out the plastic piece, i can see there's something underneath the cd player...by taking off the bottom plastic panel underneath, I can see the bottom of the computer...here's the problem...i need to see where the connector is, I'm looking for the computer code (4 character sequence, like for example YDH1 for an 03 Cobra), anyone know their code, or the code that the TSB for the transmission is?

Thanks,
-Matt
the code is on the PCM itself - you may have to remove it - like I did.

To remove it - there are 4 screws - two holding a mounting bracket on, and two more holding the unit in to the firewall. you do not have to get into the engine bay side and remove all the connectors. (if you do, you'll have to put out the AC cabin filter and go down from there - bigger job).

Quik LS said:
the code is on the PCM itself - you may have to remove it - like I did.

To remove it - there are 4 screws - two holding a mounting bracket on, and two more holding the unit in to the firewall. you do not have to get into the engine bay side and remove all the connectors. (if you do, you'll have to put out the AC cabin filter and go down from there - bigger job).

Ok, so how do I get to the computer then? I couldn't really do much becuase I couldn't take out the inside of the glove compartment, because it kept hitting into the glove compartment door....What's the easiest way? I literally just need the code from my computer, or the code for the revised TSB calibration.

mdrobnak said:
Ok, so how do I get to the computer then? I couldn't really do much becuase I couldn't take out the inside of the glove compartment, because it kept hitting into the glove compartment door....What's the easiest way? I literally just need the code from my computer, or the code for the revised TSB calibration.
it is a pain.

Glove Compartment

Removal and Installation

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
2. Remove the two pin-type retainers and the instrument panel insulator.
3. Disconnect the courtesy lamp.
4. Remove the screw and the floor heat duct.
5. From under the instrument panel, release the assist cable from the glove compartment door arm.
6. Open the glove compartment.
7. Remove the instrument panel finish panel.
8. Pull up on the glove compartment door arms and lower the glove compartment door.
9. Remove the assist cable bracket screws.
10. Remove the screws and the glove compartment bin.
11. Disconnect the electrical connector.
12. Remove the bolts and the glove compartment door.
13. Disconnect the electrical connector.
14. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

The pics are for steps 2,3,4,6,8,9,10

step2.gif

step3.gif

step4.gif

step6.gif

step8.gif

step9.gif

step10.gif

ugh.

I'm gonna talk with SCT to see what I can do to avoid that. That IS a major pain..MUCH more involved then the Mustang lol. Mustang:

Unscrew piece by door holding down carpet and part of the passenger kick panel...Remove passenger kick panel (a couple screws)...Reach in..computer is there. LOL.

Definately gonna call them to see what I can do. In any case, thanks a lot for the writeup. Hopefully I won't have to do it, but if necessary, I will.

Thanks,
-Matt

mdrobnak said:
ugh.

I'm gonna talk with SCT to see what I can do to avoid that. That IS a major pain..MUCH more involved then the Mustang lol. Mustang:

Unscrew piece by door holding down carpet and part of the passenger kick panel...Remove passenger kick panel (a couple screws)...Reach in..computer is there. LOL.

Definately gonna call them to see what I can do. In any case, thanks a lot for the writeup. Hopefully I won't have to do it, but if necessary, I will.

Thanks,
-Matt
I know that Torrie at FordPartsNetwork - the SCT dealer I use for my tuner - can look up your PCM code using your VIN.

Works for me

mdrobnak said:
ugh.

Thanks,
-Matt
Matt, on my 04 you just get upside down under the dash with a flashlight and look up behind the glove box on the Silver PCM box for the sticker with the code. I did not have to take it out to see mine.

George

I'll try that again later...I tried that once..I'll try looking on the other side this time.

-Matt

Nope, no go. Even tried looking with a mirror, couldn't see anything on the inside of the car...I think it's only visible from the outside...I'm gonna let SCT figure it out via the VIN #.

-Matt

Members online

No members online now.
Back