Where is the chime module

91lsc5spd

LVC Member
Reaction score
All i want to do is unhook the chime and i cant find it any help would be great.

If I remember right you have to pull the trip computer out to gain access to the module that's right above the trip cpu on the inside of the dash towards the left of opening you made...........:cool:

so i still cant find it any other ideas?

I guess you've got a '91 LSC like your nick implies.. And if so, the following may not apply but in my experience the wiring colors are preserved through the years wherever possible.

According to the wiriing diagrams for an '88, the Chime/Voice Alert module has 11 wires leading to it.

They are:
BR/LB (driver seatbelt)
2 of R/Y (both power)
W/R (headlamps)
Bk/Pk (key warning)
DG/LG (fasten seatbelt)
R/Pk (driver's door)
W/P (accessory power) <-- not sure what that one does..
Bk (ground)
Bk/O (door ajar)

and finally, a T/Y, which i guess is Tan with Yellow stripe... which is labled Tone.. which makes me think the T/Y is the one that powers the little speaker or piezo element itself.. which actually sounds the tone. I'd bet that if you find and disconnect a T/Y wire the tone will stop..

Alternately, i guess you could select and disconnect the wire for the particular warning function you want to silence, leaving the rest functional.

-----
Personally, i'd rather live with the minor annoyance of the ding-ding-ding every once in a while... Among other things it has helped me avoid a dead battery due to leaving the headlamps on a couple times..

thanks for the info. I would just live with it but i have been for 3 years now and i cant anymore so i has to go. As for the dead battery, well if it happens i'll just push start it.

thanks for the info. I would just live with it but i have been for 3 years now and i cant anymore so i has to go. As for the dead battery, well if it happens i'll just push start it.

It doesn't look like there's any easier way to disable the module than to first find it, and then cut a wire...

The Tan/Yellow Tone wire makes a very short trip to the Trip Module which.. i'm sure 460 Tzilla is correct.. is right beside the Chime/Voice Alert module.

The T/Y "Tone" wire is labled "Chime" at it's Trip Module connection.

---
The only other way i can see to disable something is to find it's wire at the other end. For instance, the Key-warning wire (Black/Pink) does go directly to the ignition switch. I imagine it might more easily be disconnected there.

The driver door warning wire (Red/Pink) goes to a double pole "Left hand courtesy lamp switch". One pole is devoted to the R/Pk warning wire..
This "switch" is probably one of the spring loaded button things sticking out of the lower door jam.. but i dunno for sure.. It might be in the keyless entry wiring up at the door handle..
------------

Push start or not, i'd still be a bit cautious.. many of the car's systems are interrelated.
For instance, I know the Air Suspension diagnostics proceedure involves the ignition sw and opening and closing the driver door at certain intervals.. it also uses a warning lamp to send test results.
A suspension system controller driven haywire due a missing connection might mistakenly enter it's test phase, and independently raise and lower the four coners of the car while you're push-starting it..
Well, ok.. that's kinda far-fetched ;) But do beware unintended consequences.

Members online

Back