When do LINCOLN LS's Die

THIAGO

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, i would like to know hen lincoln ls start dieng. Engine and transmission wise.
i have a 2000 v6 ls with 137k miles.
i have replaced all coil packs.
head gaskets
struts.
window regulator 3x
rotors
alternator
rear caliper mounting brackets.

the reason i ask how long ls's last is because my car is paid off and i want to do upgrades to my interior and exterior. i dont know if its worth spending money on my ls or saving that money towards a next car ?

anyone has any ideas...

That is a question that can't be answered.. Lots of factors like how well you take care of it, what kind of oil, regular maintenance done, and etc..

cars dont die....but they do require standard maintenance to keep running properly

Hey, i would like to know hen lincoln ls start dieng. Engine and transmission wise.
i have a 2000 v6 ls with 137k miles.
i have replaced all coil packs.
head gaskets
struts.
window regulator 3x
rotors
alternator
rear caliper mounting brackets.

the reason i ask how long ls's last is because my car is paid off and i want to do upgrades to my interior and exterior. i dont know if its worth spending money on my ls or saving that money towards a next car ?

anyone has any ideas...

Did you do headgaskets ,or really valve cover gaskets? Huge differance.

Yeah all i can say is change out everything you can.

wouldint be a bad idea to change some more of the suspension parts.

My take on his ? is mostly when a timing chain ,guide fails on a V8 LS there dead the highest % of the time. When car is sold this way, which you see tons on ebay and craigslist I call that dead. But others will have there thought on this. But of course they can have a heart transplant and be brought back from the white light.

Yeah i would call that dead...and the AJ-V8 isnt cheap either.

Did you do headgaskets ,or really valve cover gaskets? Huge differance.

valve cover gaskets . my bad .. i had to change them when i went to change my spark plugs and then noticed i had a little oil in the coil packs. i changed all those out for new ones and then i changed the valve cover gaskets ..

then the guy that was helping me brok my radiator upper hose so i had to change that

my front bottoms out sometimes . im about to order sway bar links but i think it needs ball joints also, i dont know if i would need to buy the whole control arm though...
i know for sure i need a rack and pinion because about every two months i have to add more power steering fluid and there is a slow leak by the boot

i do all the work myself and pay 3 dollars an hour to use the base hobby shop..so i don't ever have to pay for mechanic. i just buy the parts.

how much are you planning to spend? interior upgrades can mean a lot.... and can cost a lot. if you want to spend a fair amount of money to spruce up the car, then consider buying a gen 2 (i'd spring for the V8) and go from there. i don't know your budget, but you can get a 2003/2004 for less than 7 grand (can be less or more- i'm ballparking) in good (real good- not shady dealer good) condition with everything working for sure- you may have to look around, but what's the rush? unfortunately, these cars don't have a high resale value, although they certainly are great cars. you can use this to your advantage. the used cars mostly have interior wear that is visible (the seats all crease in the same area and have a visible wear pattern). you can do your upgrades then. the gen 2 has enough changes from the gen 1 to justify the jump.

that's my $0.02...

Basically this has been said before but there are many variables that have an effect on how many miles a car is going to last. 100,000 highway miles on a car that has been well cared for and maintained is a lot less than 80,000 miles stop light to stop light on car that has been neglected.

how much are you planning to spend? interior upgrades can mean a lot.... and can cost a lot. if you want to spend a fair amount of money to spruce up the car, then consider buying a gen 2 (i'd spring for the V8) and go from there. i don't know your budget, but you can get a 2003/2004 for less than 7 grand (can be less or more- i'm ballparking) in good (real good- not shady dealer good) condition with everything working for sure- you may have to look around, but what's the rush? unfortunately, these cars don't have a high resale value, although they certainly are great cars. you can use this to your advantage. the used cars mostly have interior wear that is visible (the seats all crease in the same area and have a visible wear pattern). you can do your upgrades then. the gen 2 has enough changes from the gen 1 to justify the jump.

that's my $0.02...
You point out a good issue with the resale value.
At first I was planning to keep the car for 3 more years while im stationed in hawaii, then get rid of it after i get back to the states. its already paid off so i am not wasting any money. i upkeep the car good. The money i want to spend would be like 2 thousand for the interior, new two tone paint job and rims, IT would be more money than the car is worth... the only issue is that, Maybe it would be wiser Saving the money over the next 3 Years and putting down on a new or newer car. Im not a fan Of the resale value of the lincoln ls . i like the car a lot but i think if i am to buy another car it would be a 06 and up 3 series.

I'd buy a slightly older 5 series instead of the 3. In fact, if I could find an 02 M5 with lower miles in good condition, I'd be driving that instead.

At first I was planning to keep the car for 3 more years while im stationed in hawaii, then get rid of it after i get back to the states. Maybe it would be wiser Saving the money over the next 3 Years and putting down on a new or newer car.

Last I checked Hawai'i was a state.

Much better plan. You will never get back what you would put into the car.

I'd buy a slightly older 5 series instead of the 3. In fact, if I could find an 02 M5 with lower miles in good condition, I'd be driving that instead.
I like the e36 model e series,like a 98,never like the five series
till the 06 and up model,.... ill see what car I get,I have 3 years to go here in hawaii,,I know for sure ima get a honda pilot when I get backs as family car.,,I'm leaning toward an 06 up bmw 3 or 5 series,or a 10 camaro,or 06 and up acura tsx..still in the air...might end up giving the ls to my lil bro,hell be driving in 3 years.

I like the e36 model e series,like a 98,never like the five series

See, I've never really liked the entry level vehicles in a lineup. And to me, that's what the 3 series was/is. Plus, I need more cylinders than that (M3 excluded, of course.)

Members online

Back