When did 8's change over to OBD2?

dosMarkos8to's

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when Mark's went to OBD2? Was it the entire production year of '96 or just
'96 LSC's? Also, were all '96 diamond anniversary cars LSC's and what were the special trim items that were on those cars. I ask because I am looking @ a '96, that for all outward appearances is a base..only thing that makes me wonder are that the car fax on it lists it as a diamond anniversary edition..there are no LSC tags on the trunk, steering wheel is all leather,shift handle is leather and there are no emblems on the door trims. BUT....the wheels are chrome LSC and the Lincoln emblem on the center trim piece is gold colored.
Could one of the owners remover the DA trim for profit or has Car Fax got it listed as a DA wrong? It seems to be too much work and why do it to a cherry car...only 62K and the car is perfect.

The car was 1st titled in California so I am assuming it has extra smog **** on it? I f so can it be removed for performance gain/

Thanks for listening.
Dos

DA had "Diamond Anniversary" etched in both rear quarter windows. Also, the seats were two-toned if I'm not mistaken.

All 96's were ODBII.

As for smog, I don't believe removing any of that stuff will gain you performance in any way shape or form, though I could be wrong.

96 was the switchover year as designated by federal law for OBD2.

not all 96s are DA cars, that was a trim package option in 96.

california did not get any extra smog equipment either. just the normal stuff.

and no, no gain to be had from removing it.

As answered above, ALL 1996 cars had to be OBDII per Federal law. There were some 1995 Mercedes vehicles that had OBDII prior to the requirement.

Chris...good news on the smog **** and the OBD2. I'm not clear on "not all '96's were DA's. I guess my question is maybe from a lack of knowing that '96 was a "Diamond" Anniversary, like 75 yrs. of what?
Lincolns..Fords...cars(not)? So if any car produced by a particular manufacturer in their "Diamond" year of production can be labeled a "DA" car...is that maybe why the Car Fax is calling it a "DA" car when it is really a base?
I know getting heady here ....maybe I am confusing a "Collectors Edition" with a "DA" '96 Mark???

What about the chrome "LSC" type wheels on the car with the gold inlay on the Lincoln logo on the center trim of the wheels?

Dos

75 years of the Lincoln Motor Company of course!

all the Diamond Anniversary Mark VIIIs had this etched in the quarter window,
diamond_anniversary_ window2.jpg

and this interior.
diamond_anniversary_interio.jpg

exterior color was either silver or cordovan.

the Collectors Edition din't come along until 1998.

diamond_anniversary_ window2.jpg

diamond_anniversary_interio.jpg

Oh man, I want those seats so hard. Not that there's really anything wrong with mine, but those cordovan inserts are just too rad. Anyone worth their salt looking at the car would know it isn't a DA though, since I have no etching on the quarter windows either, and then I guess I would kind of just look like a douche. But man, those seats though.

Youre confusing the whole base mark viii, mark viii LSC and mark viii diamond anniversary still. Everything said above is correct but all "diamond anniversary" package mark viiis came as a base mark viii as in they all had the side moulding chrome and chrome strips on the bumpers along with plain haloven headlights..literally the only thing you got with the diamond anniversary was special 1/4 windows with the DA script in the glass and the two tone gray and cordovan interior as well as two outside color options: silver frost or cordovan. Many mistake any 1996 model year lincoln as a diamond anniversary because it was lincolns 75th year in production..but unless it had the actual DA package its not a DA. As far as the LSC goes they were a seperate trim package from the base which included monochromatic bumpers and trim (with no chrome strips embedded), HID headligts with unique clear lenses, true dual exhaust, 3:27 gear opposed to the base 3:08, and perforrated leather seats..and as stated the diamond anni ersary package was only offered on a base mark viii...there is no such thing as a diamond anniversary LSC....if all of that makes any sense to you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back