When 400hp just isn't enough... ;)

Gothicaleigh

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows that the CTS-V puts out 400hp right off the showroom floor.
But what if you're not satisfied with outperforming M3s, M5s, and C5 vette's?

You say you want to go SuperCar hunting? Mallett and Lingenfelter have the Vs for you. :D

Mallett CTS-V *winner of the 2004 C&D SuperCar shootout*
Zero-60: 4.31 sec (tire limited)
1/4 mi: 12.38 sec @ 125.2 mph
150-zero: 740 ft
Overall course time at Michigan International Speedway: 103.9 sec

Pics:
http://www.mallettcars.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=CTS-V-at-2004-SEMA-Auto-Salon

Lingenfelter CTS-V *world famous corvette tuner*
427 CID V8
510 BHP @ 6000 RPM
530 lbs-ft of torque @ 4600 RPM

Pics and information:
http://www.lingenfelter.com/performance427cidls1ctsv.asp

That's really cool! GOod ol' Lingenfelter. It's a shame he is gone. :(

PS: A stock CTS-V will not outperform a C5.

Nice!

those are some nice rides my ultimate vehicle to own is the 740hp lingenfelter z06.... now just need to figure out how to get 150k for one LOL

I was lucky enough to get a tour of LPE's facility last fall, a real top-notch operation there. All sorts of cars and engines in various states of modification. They were contracted to build all the LS1 motors used in ASA (IIRC) racing, and I got to witness one on a dyno put down 440+ HP (basically a stock LS1 w/ just a cam and headers). They ain't cheap, but you get more than what you pay for.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
I was lucky enough to get a tour of LPE's facility last fall, a real top-notch operation there. All sorts of cars and engines in various states of modification. They were contracted to build all the LS1 motors used in ASA (IIRC) racing, and I got to witness one on a dyno put down 440+ HP (basically a stock LS1 w/ just a cam and headers). They ain't cheap, but you get more than what you pay for.
I am admittedly envious. Did you get the opportunity to meet the late Mr. Lingenfelter?

JoshMcMadMac said:
I am admittedly envious. Did you get the opportunity to meet the late Mr. Lingenfelter?

No. At that time John was not doing well. It was only about 2 mos before his unfortunate death. Things were kinda gloomy around the shop, John's brother had taken over running the buisness (and continues to do so AFAIK).

JohnnyBz00LS said:
No. At that time John was not doing well. It was only about 2 mos before his unfortunate death. Things were kinda gloomy around the shop, John's brother had taken over running the buisness (and continues to do so AFAIK).
My mistake. I didn't see that you previously posted that it was late last fall. I would have known you wouldn't have seen him if I would have paid more attention. Still, I can imagine it was quite an experience.

Yeah, it was the first time I've seen a CNC head milling machine in action. AMAZING! It had a stack of LS1 heads waiting for their turn. They said it takes about 2 hrs / head and they can keep it running 24/7 if necessary. The operator lives nearby and just stops by the shop every 2 hrs to swap heads and then goes home to sleep. The even had "farmer Joe's from down the lane" tractor engine in there getting rebuilt. Goes to show you the "down home" style service they offer.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
Yeah, it was the first time I've seen a CNC head milling machine in action. AMAZING! It had a stack of LS1 heads waiting for their turn. They said it takes about 2 hrs / head and they can keep it running 24/7 if necessary. The operator lives nearby and just stops by the shop every 2 hrs to swap heads and then goes home to sleep. The even had "farmer Joe's from down the lane" tractor engine in there getting rebuilt. Goes to show you the "down home" style service they offer.
That is so cool. I have seen a CNC machine, but it wasn't quite large enough to do heads. I wouldn't want to be the operator from the sounds of it, though. And the "down home" aspect of it has me awestruck!

JoshMcMadMac said:
PS: A stock CTS-V will not outperform a C5.
Here is how it stacks up to the Corvette and other modern American V8 'muscle cars' (numbers taken from Road&Track):

Chevrolet Corvette Z06
405hp
0-60: 4.4 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.7 @ 115.2 mph

Cadillac CTS-V
400hp
0-60: 5.0 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.4 @ 109.0 mph

Chevrolet Corvette
350hp
0-60: 4.9 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.4 @ 107.5 mph

Ford SVT Mustang Cobra
390hp
0-60: 5.0 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.4 @ 107.0 mph

Pontiac GTO
350hp
0-60: 5.4 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.9 @ 103.6 mph

Chrysler 300C
340hp
0-60: 5.6 seconds
1/4 mile: 14.1 @ 101.1 mph

Cadillac XLR
320hp
0-60: 5.8 seconds
1/4 mile: 14.1 @ 101.9 mph

Of course, today's muscle car isn't all about Go (but that is still the entry consideration). Today's cars are also about how they handle.

Here is how they stack up in this area:

Chevrolet Corvette Z06
60-0 Braking: 107 ft.
SkidPad: 0.94g
Slalom: 68.5 mph

Cadillac CTS-V
60-0 Braking: 115 ft.
SkidPad: 0.87g
Slalom: 66.0 mph

Ford SVT Mustang Cobra
60-0 Braking: 121 ft.
SkidPad: 0.88g
Slalom: 65.6 mph

Cadillac XLR
60-0 Braking: 125 ft.
SkidPad: 0.87g
Slalom: 64.9 mph

Chevrolet Corvette
60-0 Braking: 134 ft.
SkidPad: 0.89g
Slalom: 62.4 mph

Pontiac GTO
60-0 Braking: 121 ft.
SkidPad: 0.84g
Slalom: 63.0 mph

Chrysler 300C
60-0 Braking: 126 ft.
SkidPad: 0.79g
Slalom: 62.4 mph

As you can see from the numbers, it is very possible for a CTS-V to take on a C5 corvette in stock form. The numbers are close enough that it will come down to the driver in every situation.

IMO, Lingenfelter cars may be fast but tend to not hold up. I recall many comparo tests where the Lingenfelter car(s) blew up part way through the test. Yeah, he's got a great name, and maybe his company "can" build good quality stuff but for some reason, the stuff he brings to major tests tends to not make it through the test.

Katshot said:
IMO, Lingenfelter cars may be fast but tend to not hold up. I recall many comparo tests where the Lingenfelter car(s) blew up part way through the test. Yeah, he's got a great name, and maybe his company "can" build good quality stuff but for some reason, the stuff he brings to major tests tends to not make it through the test.
A lot of those "tests" are exactly that. Lingenfelter would take test cars to the track to show them, but also to figure out what to do with them, as they were not complete. Typically the cars that would break would not be available to the public at the time of the test and they would still be figuring everything out with it.

Yeah, I get that. But isn't that true for all the other participants too? Maybe he always brought the most extreme vehicles he could and didn't care whether they were durable but I would find THAT to be a waste of time and money. I could see if the magazines said that his stuff was running the best right up until it blew but that's not even the case. It just seemed like he wasn't usually able to build cars reliably.

Lingenfelter is talking about releasing a twin turbo system for the CTS-V.

600-700hp from the LS6? They say it fits under the hood and is undetectable from stock unless you're at WOT.

Early pic:
attachment.php

Gothicaleigh said:
Lingenfelter is talking about releasing a twin turbo system for the CTS-V.

600-700hp from the LS6? They say it fits under the hood and is undetectable from stock unless you're at WOT.

Early pic:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4452&stc=1
Well I can't see the picture since I am not a member of that forum, but it sounds good. If they can TT a Vette, they better be able to do it to the CTS-V! :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back