Wheels peeling on back side

rwurst918

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My 8 spoke chrome wheels are beginning to peel on the back side. They have been taken off for the winter and now a set of chrome 5 spokes have been put on. They are also peeling on the back side. What do I do to stop this permanently without refinishing the wheels?

What I am thinking about doing is getting my dremmel out and start to grind down the entire backside and then silver and clearcoat the back side. I will be staying away from the tire contact surfaces and the chrome near the front of the rim. Hopefully someone will chime in and tell me if this is a good or bad idea. The fronts are in perfect condition on both sets and I do not want to pay for new ones.

Find a way to glue down the chrome so it doesn't peel off anymore. Since it's on the back side, it wont be visible, or you're idea. You could always re-chrome that wheel if it's only that one, doing all of them might be too expensive. You can also get them powder coated.

Find a way to glue down the chrome so it doesn't peel off anymore. Since it's on the back side, it wont be visible, or you're idea. You could always re-chrome that wheel if it's only that one, doing all of them might be too expensive. You can also get them powder coated.

to powder coat them wouldnt you have to de-chrome the wheels first?

Yeah, the shop would do it. They hit it with this and that, then dip it in acid and I dont know what else but the point is that they'll prep it right, or they're suppose to.

The chrome is only peeling off of the back and I am trying to find a way to save them without spending 800 bucks for rechroming.

I will try the grind and paint. I will post pics of the process and the final product.

Members online

Back