Wheel Spacers

thaywood

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm just playing with an idea. Has anyone ever used wheel spacers on their Mark's? I'm asking because I have never really liked how the factory wheels look like they're tucked under the fenders. I would prefer a more "flush" look. I'm wondering if I use 1/2" or 1" wheel spacers, would the lugs be long enough to keep a good hold on the wheels? If not, would I have to install longer lugs? I'd just like a little feedback if anyone has done this, or if it's a bad idea.

I think most spacers that are over 8mm will have there own lugs. My 8mm ones were just a plate w/ bolt holes. And imho had just enough threads to be safe. I drove it 3 summers w/o a problem. I recently took them all off as i thought it might be causing my steering wheel wobble but it ended up being a wheel out of balance when i rotated them. And i do notice that my wheels look a tad diff now(sucked in) that there off. It was only a little over 1/4" but i noticed it. I might put them back on if/when i get my wheels balanced.

I think most spacers that are over 8mm will have there own lugs. My 8mm ones were just a plate w/ bolt holes. And imho had just enough threads to be safe. I drove it 3 summers w/o a problem. I recently took them all off as i thought it might be causing my steering wheel wobble but it ended up being a wheel out of balance when i rotated them. And i do notice that my wheels look a tad diff now(sucked in) that there off. It was only a little over 1/4" but i noticed it. I might put them back on if/when i get my wheels balanced.

Thanks for the info. The only reason I'm asking is because I saw a set of spacers at Auto Zone the other day and it got me thinking. I didn't look at how thick they were but they didn't have any lugs, just holes. They were probably 1/4" like yours. I may try them. I'd like to see what the wheels would look like if they weren't so "sucked in" under the fenders.

If you put them out flush with the sides, when you hit bumps you will rub.
fwiw, without being able to put the lugs on 6-7 turns is unsafe as well.

If you put them out flush with the sides, when you hit bumps you will rub.
fwiw, without being able to put the lugs on 6-7 turns is unsafe as well.

x2. I'm going to measure if i put them back on. I did do it for years but it'll give me peace of mind.

I'd be real careful if you can't get 6-7 turns +. It puts alot of stress on the studs when the lugs are only on the end threads.
Our cars are pretty finicky with wheels and suspension and vibrations.

I just put a spacer on to test threads and only got 4.75 turns torqued down on the 19's:eek: Seemed like I got alot more before then i really did. It was safe for 3 summers but i DO NOT suggest doing it. You'd be fine w/ 5mm spacers but not sure if it would be worth it to you. You can get 4 on ebay for 20 shipped.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll probably pass on the spacers. The more I think about it, it would look better, but I'd constantly be worried about losing a wheel or something. I guess I'll live with the "tucked under" look for a while longer:)

I had a neighbor who had them on his 96 cougar for years with no problems, just take good care of your wheels tires. And torque torque the bolts down correctly and all should be fine.

Members online

Back