Wheel paint opinions...

2000sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I am almost done painting my new wheels... And had an idea for the center caps. I have sprayed them the same color as the wheels (Graphite Mettalic) and want to add the Lincoln logo.

I was thinking about taping it off and spraying the logo in red on each center cap and then clearing over everything.

What do you guys think?

ce8a0c86.jpg

That would look really slick. But thats sound like a lot of work.

If you do it please post some step by step pictures. I would be really interested how you tape it up and actually paint the logo.

I plan on spraying 2 coats of red then taping over the red and spraying more Graphite over the tape, followed by a few coats of clear.

First thought when I read taping it off and doing the logo:

What if you got a decal or vinyl made, cut the logo out of that then use what's left for your template? If you haven't thought of that already. Sounds like a stellar idea. I'm left to wonder what those boss's on the spokes would look like if the time were taken to paint those a different color, lotta tape work.

I may plastidip those eventually.

I thought about printing out the logo, transferring it to tape, then cutting out the logo from tape. I'm worried a sticker would pull the uncleared paint off with it.

Never thought of printing it out, and that's cheaper!

Not like it's a crucial piece if it goes wrong, just wet sand and start over right?

I'm going to beg you right now, not to try to paint or print out the logo lol

Tried both, failed miserably at first, then got a bit better, but you'll never get as good as a decal.

Get these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120798009828?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_969

I've ordered from them several times, and have nothing but good things say about them. They'll work with you to get your desired specs (i.e. color, size, background, etc.)

EDIT: oh and if you give the paint enough time to cure, i don't see why it would come up with the tape.

Getting all 4 acceptable by taping/spraying (probably re-doing a few times) sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I'd go with the decals and worst case use the decal as your template.

What about using a stencil, maybe made of thin plastic and putting on multiple thin coats?

Mlara, are the decals filled in? Or is the material only where the black is?

I want to try and paint them. I have plenty of time, as I don't have to have the caps on right away.

To be honest, I thought the wheel painting would more involved. But it has left me bored.

I know doing the logo will be a challenge no matter how I do it. That is the whole reason I want to try.

I wish I still had my airbrush setup. I'm sure I could do something interesting with that.

Oh well. Progress pics will be up over the weekend, as well as pics of the finished wheels

Mlara, are the decals filled in? Or is the material only where the black is?

the material is only where the black star is, if you order the ones pictured...you can have them done with many different ways. Ill take a pic of some custom ones i ordered that i was planning to use on those wheels.

i also considered these when i was thinking of ways of doing the center caps for those wheels but never pulled the trigger:

But the're only 2" in diameter, so i was thinking maybe paint the remaining circumference black, idk lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINCOLN-SET...ies&hash=item2c62c6d6cc&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1202

same deal with these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Cob...ies&hash=item5892da77fd&vxp=mtr#ht_507wt_1004

I might order the CobraStars... and cut them out of the circle, paint the background graphite, stick the vinyl sticker on the cap, and clear coat over it all.

if my tape/paint idea doesnt work.

Just ordered the Cobrastar emblems.

Going to spray the caps the base graphite, hit them with 2 coats of clear, stick the vinyl emblem on, then 2 more coats of clear, wet sand, and done.

Cobrastar emblems arrived. Will be sanding my caps tonight and laying down a few coats of paint. Going to cut out the black surrounding the Cobrastar and then clear over everything.

Members online

No members online now.
Back