Whats Your Thoughts

ILUVLINCOLN93

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 1993 town car with 150,000 miles. It was a one owner and looks to be well taken care of, but is in need of new air springs. I don't mind that. My main question is how many more miles can i plan to get out of it. My mother has a 92 with 180,000 on it and is still going strong. I'm just on a tight budget for the rest of the year so i'm worried about major repairs. Is there anything I should look for when i inspect it closer. I really love driving my mothers so i'm sure i'll be happy with it. I just don't want to get a clunker. Thanks in advance. JEFF:)

:W to :V If you are going to put new air springs on it get them from Eddy Spinks at www.americanairsuspension.com he will make you a good deal and can help with all your air suspension questions. Just do regular maitenance on it and it should last you a good while :cool:

its hard to say how many miles youll get. that is all dependant on how well they took care of the car(mechanically, not cosmetically.. i speak from experience on this one). i personally wouldnt buy a daily driver with more than 125k on it.and definately not make payments on anything with that kind of mileage.

I would have a technician check it out.

That being said, the mileage is a big X factor. If you are on a tight budget, I would forgo the TC altogether, until you get into a better position, financially speaking.

It depends....what is your mechanical ability and how tight is your budget? I just got my '90 TC with 141K on it. I know what to expect from a 302 and AOD at that age, so I know what to be prepared for. Also I was able to have them put it on a hoist and I looked around under it. What I found was a weeping seal on the power steering (can't see from the top) and what I believe is to much free play in the fan clutch. It moves thru 4"-6" of free play in rotation by hand and it shouldn't. Having had one blow up on my '89 F250 a couple of weeks ago I am going to put a flex fan on it this weekend. I don't want a hole in the hood of my TC.
So if you are comfortable with doing your own work I'd say go for it. BUT if your budget is tight and you would need to pay someone to work on it I'd advice getting it up in the air and checking it out as long as you know what to look for. Otherwise have a mechanic you know and trust look it over and advise you. Might run $50+ but it would be worth it. And if possible take it for a long test drive.
Good luck!

Yes i do most all mechanical work on my cars. I don't do major engine nor trans. That was my main concern. I think i found a better deal with a 92 town car with only 100,000 miles. I can afford all the basic mechanics just not a motor or trans at this time. I had an 87 town car back in 1994 , and it had 160,000 on it when i sold it. It still ran great as i had it from 90,000 and had taken really good car of it. I'm just a little weary of the newer models because i read so much abot the trans being junk. Thanks for all your advice. I'll keep you posted on what i decide.JEFF:)

I purchased a 94' Lincoln Town Car Executive series, back in 2001 or so. It had 174,000 miles on it, and the previous owner took AWESOME care of it. To this day all we had to replace was a battery, and the window switch on the passenger side. Currently this car is for sale, and has 237,000 miles on it and is still kicking. It has a slight leak in one of the air bags, but it more than performed to our satisfaction.

96 Lincoln Town Car Executive series purchased in 2002 with 76.000 miles on it. I have had to replace air compressor in it, alternator, 2 batteries, removed airbags, as one stopped working, and put springs in it. Now the car has approx 126,000 miles.

I will have to agree, it all depends on the previous owners. I would call the owners up and find out a little more about the previous drivers. The 94' I purchased was a ICU nurse who was 63 years old, and drove 30 miles to get to work daily. Also, make them pull a car fax report!

MiKeL

Bought mine with 243K miles on it. Have heard of getting 500K on them with the original motor and trans. Bought mine from a fellow limo driver. He used his has a private driver on the weekends, so ALL maintenance was done, and ALL repairs were made. It needed to be done, or he couldn't work...

I've had to replace the Front brake system, A/C system, and the rear air springs. All while I was going through college. Believe me it sucked, but I loved my TC so much I bit the bullet and fixed everything. Yes, Ive actually spent more in repairs than the car is worth, but to me, it was all worth it.

Thnigs to look for: Obviously the air springs, air compressor, and the valve stem seals. Those are really the only major systems that tend to be replaced the most...

Have it THOROUGHLY checked out by a mechanic, and remember, anything could go on it at any time, that applies to ALL cars...

Mine too was in the livery service, these cars are always taken care of, so mileage doesnt really matter...

Members online

Back