whats your over-all opinion of your lincoln ls?

LincolnTC..LSisnext?

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I currently own a 1992 town car and i like it.. it was my first car i've had it since i was 16...(3 years ago) so naturally im attached to it... i grew up with it and have had too many good times in it... it still drives well but the paint is fading things are breaking and it hasn't been the same since i rear-ended a mustang... $2,500 estimate.. i did it myself for $500... its tough as hell and can handle anything i put it up against but its 15 years old... maintenance is killing me... every 3 months something breaks costing atleast $500... and it has no A/C

so my point is i saw an 2000 lincoln ls for $4,000 and the way the economy is in miami i can prolly get it for $3,500.. its clean in and out with no accidents 8 cylinder... not crazy about the clolor but w/e... 100,000 miles... so i need to know what you think of your LS... are they reliable.. any consistent issues... how many miles can they get before maintenance gets out of hand... any info helps.... thanks in advance...

I loved both of mine. If Ford was still making them and had continued updating and also done an "SVT" or "R" version (think Stype R) with a 6 speed manual I would still have one...

I've had two (2003 and 2006) and I like them both. Best cars I have ever owned. That said, I would be very cautious of the 2000 you are considering. I think you're buying yourself a headache, especially at that price. The 2000 model is notorious for having many problems (because it was the first year).

i've had a 2001 for for 2 years now and i still love it. as far as reliability goes, i've had a few problems (coils, window regulators, ball joints) and i know i'll have more. when it's time for a new car, i'll be looking for another LS, this time just a newer one

I've owned a 2000 V6, and currently own my 2002 V8 LSE. V6 had some issues that were annoying. V8 has nice power (not blazing) and is improved over the 2000 model. I've put 90k on the V8, and Im actually impressed at how it's holding up. No creaks or squeaks, transmission is certainly not the most responsive or quickest shifting, but it hasnt caused me a dime in repairs, v8 engine is fine and doesnt leak a thing since I had the valve cover gaskets replaced. interior is holding up fine. Paint is perfect. Sunroof and windows and all electrical items work fine, although I do think I have a drivers side window regulator going out soon.

overall, VERY satisfied with this one.

Well, I'm new to the LS as we just bought our '03 LS8 this week. My impression is that it's a very nice car to drive. It rides smooth and quiet while cornering without much body roll or drama. The '03 and up has smooth almost impressive power. Pre '03 is competent but noticeably slower. The 5 speed auto is clunky at times, but is grenerally reliable. They do seem to fail from time to time and cost over $2000 to rebuild. The resale value of the car is poor and falls quickly. That sucks if you bought it new, but is not bad if you bought used. The common issues seem to be window regulators, v-8 valve cover leaks which eventually cause misfires and coil on plug failures. The front ball joints do wear and are part of the knuckle, so it's about $500 in parts alone to replace the front lower ball joints.

My car has a bad ignition switch which causes the car to chime even with the keys removed if the door is open. The vents in my seat heaters collapse when someone heavy sits in the seat. This causes the heater to turn off. There is a fix, but I've yet to get prices on parts. Ours is getting about 20 mpg combo driving so far on winter blend fuel. I believe we'll be close to the EPA 18/25 mpg rating in the summer. We haven't owned the car long enought to comment on oil usage. Something else that is noteworthy. These cars had free maintenance when new, so it's very likely that most had very good care from new. As you've found, there is an active enthusiast community for these cars. This will help you keep the car going for a minimum of expense. There are repair procedures and deals on parts to be found online. Hope this helps.

I love my LS. I enjoy driving it more than any newer car I have ever had. It is also the best by I ever made (fast depreciation). It has been the most unreliable newer car I have ever had also. When I say unreliable I mean that in past cars I have had I have had minimal or no problems until after 100K. My 02 LS has just over 60K and I have made severl repairs. Never anything that stranded me, just some repairs to keep it running perfect, and everything working. $4000 sounds like a great del if the car is good, but keep in mind that toe 2000 LS is the least desirable year. BTW I am in Key West! Hope the AC works!!

I've got an 03... I like it!

That said:
I had to replace the gaskets, think I'll have to do coils soon (holding out on the GMS units). And I've got some rattles in the interior that I have to address.

Oh, and I had to replace the TPS on the TB; dealer tried to make me buy a new TB, said it failed. Blamed it on my K&N FIPK. For less than $40 (including shipping), I avoided an almost $800 a$$ raping. Good thing I used to be a mechanic!

Ive got a 2002 LS V8 and I love it, ofcourse I liked my MarkVIII more, but you cant compare both cars b/c they are totally different. My 2002 has only had the coil pack replaced along with several coils, and the drivers side window regulator. Other than that, its been perfect, I wouldnt change her for no other car, I would like to own an 05 or 06, maybe in the future.

I went with my best friend when he picked up his new Stang GT. While I was very happy for him, I was drawn to the side of the lot that had a row of Lincoln LS's. To me, the styling was just beautiful, and this seemed like a much more "practical" car for a guy my age. I like his Mustang, but I can load my family up alot easier, and my ride is smoother and quieter. (Just can't lay rubber as far as him :D :D :D ).

I've had my '04 LS V8 for about 4-5 months now. So far it's been in the shop more often than any vehicle I've ever owned. That being said, I'd buy another one when I'm done with this one. That's why they have extended warranties! Also, I think it's hit or miss when it comes to finding an LS. I hear of some that go 200,000 miles and have no problems. then there's people like me who've had tranny work, electrical gremlins, etc. If possible, get the maintanence history of the car. I'd also suggest doing Carfax. it's a cheap way to get some peace of mind. Good luck!

you might have better luck with a nice Merc Marauder, though...

She's a HIGH maintenance Upper-Middle Class girl that likes to live fast. ;-) She's been fun, but I'm in the market for a real American V8. I.E. one that I can work on easily and affordably. With a 5 speed of course...

Purchased my 04 V-6 in October, 28,000 mi. on the clock, second owner off lease. Had a few cosmetic issues so I got for a good price. Tranny was bad from the get go, shifted hard in reverse and 1st. Ford honored the 4yr/50,000 mile drive train warranty and completely rebuilt tranny. Love driving this car, had Mustangs all my life, now I'm spoiled.

I love my '05 but cannot speak to the high mileage reliability.

I have to comment on the previous mention of "if" there was a version comparable to the Jag S-type R I'd have that so fast it wouldn't be funny......

The car's only drawback (short of a higher performance version) is the transmission. The only real thing on the car I don't like.

I love my 2000 LS im at 201,846 miles and still going strong. I havnt had a single repair that cost me over $200 but i do do all my own work. She gets Mobile One Ext every 9,000 miles. A trans flush every 50,000 miles. coolant flush every year or so. she still glides down the express way in the triple didgets no problem.

Members online

Back