Whats your opinion

dropped74

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a 2001 LS V-8 and it has 63000 miles on it. I was just wondering if it is too late to make the switch to synthetic oil. It appears that the previous owner used motorcraft exclusivley. I would like to use mobil 1 but I have heard that there is a mileage marker where it is just too late to use it and was wondering what you guys might think or know. I would prefer actual knowledge and not guestimates on this. Thanks alot and have a great day.
:Beer

Good question.. My personal experience from switching from natural oil to synthetic in my dodge not the ls.. is when i switched about 10,000 miles and i had to replace valve cover seals. I was told that happens quite often but doesn't necessarily means it has to be done or will cause troubles i guess. just a personal experience.

Thanks for your input

jdsimons said:
Good question.. My personal experience from switching from natural oil to synthetic in my dodge not the ls.. is when i switched about 10,000 miles and i had to replace valve cover seals. I was told that happens quite often but doesn't necessarily means it has to be done or will cause troubles i guess. just a personal experience.

That is where I read that. It was on a Dakota forum, so I was just not too sure. So you just had ten thousand miles on your dodge when you made the switch and still had to change out the valve cover gaskets. Thanks again guys

Nolan

I don't think 63,000 miles is to excessive to change to synthetic. I really don't see that it would do any harm. If the car had more mileage you may risk a chance of spinning a bearing. I've seen that happen.

Fordman said:
I don't think 63,000 miles is to excessive to change to synthetic. I really don't see that it would do any harm. If the car had more mileage you may risk a chance of spinning a bearing. I've seen that happen.

Fordman I love that old falcon. I also have a 74 Ford truck that I have invested quite a bit of time and money into. It is not quite as nice as that falcon but it ain't bad. I also have a friend that has a 64 Ranchero that I think that you would probably dig. Thanks for the info.

Nolan

Thanks for the complement... The car pull 98-99 at a points show. I still have the original bumpers, thats where I loose the points. We have a big show comming up at Sun-n-Fun in Lakeland... Mustangs & Mustangs. It's one of the best shows around.

I started using Mobil 1 on my GMC (4.3L) at 72,000 miles....197,000 miles to date and she still purrs like a kitten. Haven't changed a seal, bearing, valve, nothing. All stock.

what do the dealerships put in??? I thought they did put in synthetic.. 5w-20 and 5w30

FreeFaller said:
I started using Mobil 1 on my GMC (4.3L) at 72,000 miles....197,000 miles to date and she still purrs like a kitten. Haven't changed a seal, bearing, valve, nothing. All stock.

Well that is certainly encouraging thanks alot!!!

Fordman said:
Thanks for the complement... The car pull 98-99 at a points show. I still have the original bumpers, thats where I loose the points. We have a big show comming up at Sun-n-Fun in Lakeland... Mustangs & Mustangs. It's one of the best shows around.

Hey fordman.... when is the mustang & mustang show. I read about it in the paper but do not remember the dates.

eL eS said:
Hey fordman.... when is the mustang & mustang show. I read about it in the paper but do not remember the dates.
It's April 8-10th, I probably will be there only on the 9th... 2 days is a long show, just did that in Ocala.

dropped74 said:
Fordman I love that old falcon. I also have a 74 Ford truck that I have invested quite a bit of time and money into. It is not quite as nice as that falcon but it ain't bad. I also have a friend that has a 64 Ranchero that I think that you would probably dig. Thanks for the info.

Nolan

I see you are from Pcola. I grew up there. How you guys making out since the hurricane? Guy I work with was just up there about a month ago and he said there are still a lot of unfinished roofs. Blue tarps every where you turn.

Fordman said:
It's April 8-10th, I probably will be there only on the 9th... 2 days is a long show, just did that in Ocala.

Execelent. We are going so if I do not see you at the Ale House before then I will hunt you down.

eL eS said:
I think the caveat is that once you go synthetic you can not go back to dino fluid.

This is correct, one of the many things that will happen when you do this is foam and alot of bubbles, bad bad bad....

Styles said:
This is correct, one of the many things that will happen when you do this is foam and alot of bubbles, bad bad bad....

Thanks for the explaination. I knew it wasn't good but didnt know why.

eL eS said:
I see you are from Pcola. I grew up there. How you guys making out since the hurricane? Guy I work with was just up there about a month ago and he said there are still a lot of unfinished roofs. Blue tarps every where you turn.

Yeah there is still a long way to get back to where we were but the good thing is that fema paid to get rid of the sewer plant from downtown and it tore up bayfront auditorium pretty bad so that eyesore should be gone pretty soon. I think in the long run it is going to be better but it sure does hurt right now you know. People are still fighting with insurance companies. It is unbelievable. I have one customer that his premiums are 13000 a year and his insurance tried to write him a check for 19000 and sya they are done with it. That is only one example but for the most part things are STARTING to come together.

I havent seen the first picture from the damage and recovery inPcola yet. I keep threatening to come up and visit my dive buddies but I keep getting side tracked. !3k in premiums ewwwww! I won't complain about mine any more. Where does this person live Santa Rosa Island or Perdido? Rates that high they have to on the water.

eL eS said:
I havent seen the first picture from the damage and recovery inPcola yet. I keep threatening to come up and visit my dive buddies but I keep getting side tracked. !3k in premiums ewwwww! I won't complain about mine any more. Where does this person live Santa Rosa Island or Perdido? Rates that high they have to on the water.

Yeah he was on the water I can't remember the subdivision but I think it was OKO island or something like that. I believe it is perdido way.

Members online

No members online now.
Back