whats faster on a roll OD/OD off?

95Marklll(Kingcobra)

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ive been raken up a kill list, 89 GT, 94 3000gt, 92 maxima, civics/integras, celica, havent lost once. I know from a stop OD off is faster but just the other day I did a test just cruzing around I find OD on at a roll to be faster then OD off, my friends agree, with OD on if I gun it doing about 40 my car chirps it into 3rd and just pulls like mad, I find when I have OD off it doesent pull as hard, could this be becuase when OD is off it just goes 1-4 and with OD on it down shifts then goes? I just want to hear what you guys think, I have a turbo jetta talking he says he does high 15's I know I can take him, we raced him twice once in a 97 GT 5 spd, we were dead even pulling on him then my friend missed a gear, my cars faster then his and we had 4 ppl in the car and the ppl arnt light weights lol, second time was in my friends 01 1500HD with the 6.0 we stayed with him and the fuel pump is little retarded latley, so Im about positive hes done, lol.

Probably because it is "Flaring" the tranny and banging into the lower gear that you get that chirp. This I am sure will eventually lead to damage. O D should be off when you are doing those types of dashes.

transarticle.jpg

Note the "your results may vary." My results DID vary from what they said. Take it to the track and do some testing on your car, that's the only way to know how your car will react.

Never floor the car with the overdrive on if you want your tranny to last. That is all...

k, sounds goods and from what the article said, it sounds like punching it is better the luanching it off the line? I do the 1500rpm launch

My trans reacts faster with the OD off, at least for kick downs its noticeable. Can't say my trans shift points are any different OD off or on.

98LSC32V said:
Never floor the car with the overdrive on if you want your tranny to last. That is all...

correction. never floor it and allow it to shift into 4th at WOT.

as for that kill list. you should have beat all of those. FWD 3000gt 5 speeds tend to run mid 15s with a few in the 14s stock.

yeah I beat all of them no prob, the closes was the GT I killed him by 75 by 100 I had about 2.5 cars on him, hey the rev at me I race them lol

WOT in O/D = BAD!

vr4 said:
correction. never floor it and allow it to shift into 4th at WOT.

Agreed. There have been several threads over at MarkVIII.org on this topic and the general consensus is that WOT with O/D on = BAD for tranny health. Any time you want to floor it, turn off O/D and wait for it to drop into 3rd first.

I've had a couple guys try to take me on, on some of my midnight cruises down the interstate. Waiting for the O/D to kick out might have hurt me a bit to start, but in the end I could still only see them in my mirrors. :gr_devil:

im assuming you have it?..........................u suck. ive seen it online but that is a pia to read and the pics suck, i wanted to see what they did in some places, when i built my friends 95 dohc bird

No I just read the bottom of the pic that Geno posted. I was kinda just trying to be a smarta$$. I haven't actually read the article.

Members online

No members online now.
Back